• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neisha -- Anyone Been?

FunJohnny

A colleague of mine said that he had a superlative meal at a new Thai place located at Albemarle & Wisconsin (Tenleytown) called Neisha. Food was great and served in abundant proportions. Daiquiries came in 16 oz tumblers. Anyone else been there and care to comment? Thai food has become a disappointment to me at so many places I remain skeptical.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Yes, I have been there - only once. Neisha is pretty typical for Thai places. I liked my meal but my wife did not like hers. So I would say it is pretty spotty. Honestly, it was a while ago that we went so we are due for another try. When we first went, they had just opened and we have not made it back since.

I stumbled into this place last Friday, actually, and I was not impressed. 'tis true they give you a big plate, but my dish, a somewhat unimaginative (on my part)order of green curry was bland, watery, and mild, despite my asking for "thai spicy." i admit i have a bias (i was in thailand only last year, and have yet to find a place anywhere in the US that comes to my now snooty standards). that being said, i still wouldn't go back. the decor is frightening, though i suppose it's more authentic as some koh samui beachside restaurant-cum-bar than your typical thai strip mall fare. i'm new to DC, so i'd be interested to hear how people think this place rates alongside others in the area.

While it's been a bit longer since my last time in S.E. Asia (about 15 years :sad: )

I too am just as disappointed in many of the "Thai" restaurants here -- hence my inquiry about this place. They all seem to be operating from the same formula, and it's just not up to snuff. Thanks for the intel.

There are two locations in Virginia - one in Tyson's and I can't think of te other off the top of my head. I have been to the one at Tyson's a few times and its not bad. The spicyness is a little tame, but it isn't quite a sweet as some of the other chain places. We've had pretty consistent results there.

Bill Russell

There are two locations in Virginia - one in Tyson's and I can't think of te other off the top of my head. I have been to the one at Tyson's a few times and its not bad. The spicyness is a little tame, but it isn't quite a sweet as some of the other chain places. We've had pretty consistent results there.

If this is affiliated with the VA locations, we've been to the original Baileys Crossroads location several times and thought it was quite good (authenticy issues aside). The owner was in some way (a cook?) formerly associated with Tara Thai. From what we were told when they first opened in Bailey's, he was dissastified with the way ther food at Tara Thai was straying from authenticity- FWIW.

he was dissastified with the way ther food at Tara Thai was straying from authenticity- FWIW.

Well, I wasn't going to single out any specific restaurants or chains, but since the china has been broke -- Tara Thai (I'm mostly familiar with the one in Ballston, which opened to great fanfare) is the Thai dining experience that has disappointed me the most. While I love the seaquarium decor -- the food has been less than inspiring and the service.. well, 'nuff said. Another Thai place, Duangarat, which is high-end has also been disappointing, expensive and had poor service.

I've been to the one in Tyson's and also having been to Thailand (a year ago January), I actually liked it because at that location, they had a few items on their menu that I've not seen here (one specific comes to mind: Chicken in Pandaman leaves). Compared to other Thai places, I thought it was better. However, I live in DC so haven't been there since.

Typically I visit Thai Tanic on 14th street. while not authentic I like it. Also good is Rice - also on 14th street. A bit more authentic but still not the same as in Thailand.

Indy, it is definitely difficult to find Thai that meets one's standards after having the real stuff! Where in Thailand did you visit? I went to Bangkok, Chaing Sien (Golden Triangle), Chaing Mai, and Phuket. I sure wish I could get some sauteed Morning Glory here!

Back when there was one Neisha Thai, the food was good and the service charmingly inept.

As they expanded the food and the service intersected at mediocrity. I'm sure they'll thrive but I'm not going back.

Is the other ethnic food in DC as comparatively bad as the Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese? I'm just plaing the fool? This tripping to the urban planning cautionary tale, a.k.a. Springfield, for Vietnamese sucks.

I'll be standing on 14th waiting for a good Injera to punch me in the face. Until then I just don't know...

Give me your oldest Grand Marnier and a thousand year egg.

meatwad- have you been to Eden Center yet?

Eden Center is definitely worth noting as a point of major interest for anyone who enjoys Asian food -- basically Vietnamese/S. Chinese. There are so many restaurants ranging from the fairly fancy to coffee shops and pho joints. Also for groceries and hard-to-find at Safeway ingredients, Eden itself is great. One example is the duck legs they sell -- perfect for making confit. It's located on Wilson Blvd. at 7 Corners.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)