• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ice Topic: Crushed, Cracked, Cubes, Balls, Alternatives

eatdrinkummm

I repeated the experiment.  The ice from the tray on the bottom was clearer than the ice from the tray above it.  However the difference was not as pronounced as yesterday.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I repeated the experiment.  The ice from the tray on the bottom was clearer than the ice from the tray above it.  However the difference was not as pronounced as yesterday.

It's been ages since these experiments - but I have a memory of putting things in styrofoam in the freezer - also I had some sort of an insulated thing that made an ice inukshuk and the hazy part was on the bottom with some sort of divider that allowed you to break it off. 

• Thanks 1

Tonight I still had the trays one on top of the other, however not on the floor of the freezer.  This time I couldn't see much difference in clearness between the trays.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou