• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ice Topic: Crushed, Cracked, Cubes, Balls, Alternatives

eatdrinkummm

Ice stones? Someone sent me this link today. Soapstones that retain cold. Freeze and use as ice. I can't think of any use for such a thing, as people on this forum know the importance of actual ice. Anyway, maybe someone will find it interesting. Their website is highly complicated.

https://teroforma.com/

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of latex gloves in food service. Often they seem to be used instead of teaching proper sanitation, rather than in addition to teaching sanitation. In many settings food service workers seem to use them to keep their hands from getting dirty, rather than to avoid cross contamination or other things actually related to the food they are serving. Somehow it is more reassuring for me to see clean and well maintained fingernails, clean hands, etc. than it is to see latex gloves. I mean, unless the workers are handling raw meat or something.

But as to cracking ice in your hand, I'm not sure, that's why I was looking for feedback.

I do it for myself at home. I've done it for guests who've come over to my house and no one has complained. Impressed, if anything. I've been to bars where it is done and it hasn't really bothered me.

But then I got hung up on thinking about how the ice got from the well to the bartender's hand.

So to me the part that probably crosses the line is the bartender reaching in and grabbing cubes out of the ice well with their hand.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Bartenders who are working in establishments that actually crack ice are also presumably conscientious about their craft. I can't imagine anyone in those environments being less than thoughtful about sanitation. Also, it's reassuring that those hands spend much time in sani water and soap and clean towels as they go about their job. Not to mention, at least in NYC, we go through the Food Protection course.

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

• 1 month later...

http://gizmodo.com/388602/create-perfect-i...rfect-cocktails

If you are serious about your on-the-rocks beverages, you probably already know that ice is a major factor in constructing the perfect drink. The best ice consists of quality water and is shaped in such a way that it does not take up much surface area—which ensures that your drink does not get watered down prematurely. Fortunately for you, the pinnacle of ice-making technology is here...today! A Japanese company named Taisin has developed a mold that creates a perfect ice sphere by slowly melting a chunk of ice inside a press and then closing around it.

Once the press has closed, the sphere can be released with the flick of a switch. Apparently, it can produce 30-40 ice balls in an hour, which isn't half bad when you consider the tediousness of the process. Either way, if you have a really good scotch on hand, it is probably worth the extra effort to get things right. The mold is available in 55, 65, 70 and 80mm sizes.

Now I think this could be very nice ( for personal use )...

What you think about it?

Know any place we can buy it?

Edited by Axefire (log)

Even the smallest size (55 mm) requires a very large cube of ice (55 mm = >2 inches). So it's not clear that this is any more practical than using spherical molds, considering that one is unlikely to have ready access to cubed ice on the order of 2 to 3.5 inches in size.

--

Ah, but where does one get those spherical molds.

They're online at the MoMa Store, or you may also be able to find them if you have a large Japanese market in your area.

I'd love to get a set for home use, but if I find myself in an underground Osaka whiskey bar paying $50 for a glass of Japanese single malt, I want to watch my ice ball being carved by hand, dammit.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

• 3 months later...

I've found some info elsewhere on egullet on this but none dealing with my specific requirement: I am in the market for an electric ice crusher preferably of commercial grade that can be had (ideally, though I have no reference point) for under $150. I'm not so sure what the capacity needs to be, as far as pounds/day goes, but it's going to be used by the kitchen as much as by the bar so fairly sturdy. Is there a gold standard for ice crushers out there today? I know some have recommended defunct models but I'd rather go for a new one if possible.

Thanks in advance.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this brings new meaning to 'on the rocks.' Nordic Rock Stone Ice Cubes . From the product description:

Nordic Rock are literally ice cubes made from stone.

Details

Made from pollution free base rock

Eco-friendly

Reusable

Set of 10 rocks

Comes complete with real leather storage pouch

Unique gift idea

Dimensions: L 22mm W 22mm H 22mm

Description

Nordic Rock is mined from ancient Swedish pollution-free base rock. It is the purest way of cooling your drink - literally 'on the rocks'. Stone does not melt, which means no unclean water in your glass. They are also reusable making them very eco-friendly.

To use, simply place the stone ice cubes in the freezer for approximately one hour before use. For a normal glass, two or three Nordic Rocks will be fine. They give off their cold gradually and equally.

Interesting idea, but definitely not recommended for those who like to chew their ice.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

• 2 weeks later...

I have a crappy ice crusher on my fridge and don't like getting out the hand-cranked ones for one drink. I've developed a handy little trick using the barspoon I have to get cracked ice easily: holding the spoon end, I snap the weighted handle (a thick circular disk) against each semi-circular "cube," which usually cracks the ice into two or three large pieces. Does anyone else do this? Would images help?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

This is the standard technique for making "cracked" ice, which is what I always use for stirred drinks. For crushed ice drinks and shaved ice drinks such as the swizzle or julep, one really needs an ice crusher (electric models are easily found on eBay).

Here's what I said back in 2007 in this thread:

I'd say that "crushed ice" is comprised of fairly uniform pieces that are no larger than the size of a pencil eraser.  "Cracked ice" is comprised of pieces of differing sizes, with most not being larger than the last joint on one's thumb and the rest being smaller.  Crushed ice must be produced with an ice crushing machine or by repeatedly whacking a bag of ice with a heavy implement until it is uniformly pulverized.  Cracked ice is best produced one cube at a time by holding a cube in one's hand and striking it sharply with the back of a spoon.  This will usually produce three large irregular pieces and several smaller pieces.

--

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any tips for freezing spears for long drinks. Is there a preferred mold that the guys at The Violet Hour or Little Branch are using? I have tried cutting the barriers out of the tovo silicon trays. I'll be grateful for any tips.

Edited by E.B.Adkins (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone experimented with using a product like Smooth-sil to make their own molds?? If so, what's your experience?

http://www.smooth-on.com/Smooth-Sil%3D-Plat/c1131/index.html

The cocktail bar I frequent (Catherine Lombardi in NJ) uses the Ikea ones, I'd like to be able to make my old fashioned's at home with those sized cubes. Anyone know where I can get a mold that size? I see some big rectangular-ish sized ones on ebay, but they may be too big, and too rectangular.

• 5 months later...

As I stated somewhere around here, I've been suffering with lousy half-moon junk cubes from the automatic ice maker in my freezer, and finally said I'd had enough. Not having the wallet girth to grab a Kold Draft machine (don't think I haven't considered it), I went with the recession plan and grabbed these "Perfect Cube" silicone trays from Sur Le Table.

I'm already in love. For about $20 (shipping included) I have big cubic cubes that are perfect for rocks drinks, perfect for high balls, and really great for cracking into chunks. Best of all, they are taking my shaken drinks, which are now missing the shards I'd grown to hate, to another level.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

As I stated somewhere around here, I've been suffering with lousy half-moon junk cubes from the automatic ice maker in my freezer, and finally said I'd had enough. Not having the wallet girth to grab a Kold Draft machine (don't think I haven't considered it), I went with the recession plan and grabbed these "Perfect Cube" silicone trays from Sur Le Table.

I'm already in love. For about $20 (shipping included) I have big cubic cubes that are perfect for rocks drinks, perfect for high balls, and really great for cracking into chunks. Best of all, they are taking my shaken drinks, which are now missing the shards I'd grown to hate, to another level.

I have some of these and love them. However I don't find less shards in my drinks. I typically strain through a little hand held sieve I've got. I really shake the bejeezus out of them, though - but I thought that was the idea.

• 5 weeks later...
I went with the recession plan and grabbed these "Perfect Cube" silicone trays from Sur Le Table.

For those still in the market (like me), these look to be the tovolo trays mentioned upthread.

Now, like Chris, I struggle with shattering with my shaken drinks and get too much dilution even with a ~10-15 sec shake. I currently get my ice from your everyday generic tray (so generic I can't find a link). For those that have experimented with different ice options, what's the most likely culprit: cube size, cube density, or shaking method?

Yeah, all three are important, but a guy has to start somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Now, like Chris, I struggle with shattering with my shaken drinks and get too much dilution even with a ~10-15 sec shake. I currently get my ice from your everyday generic tray (so generic I can't find a link). For those that have experimented with different ice options, what's the most likely culprit: cube size, cube density, or shaking method?

Yeah, all three are important, but a guy has to start somewhere.

I reckon it's the way the cube freezes, which affects the density and toughness of the ice. Too many impurities, too much air in the water and uneven temperature contribute.

I'm still experimenting, but filtering and double freezing seem to help.

Alton Brown covered punches on a recent episode of Good Eats. He had an rather ingenious (unless you've already thought of it, in which case it probably won't sound that awesome) way of making ice balls (or eggs). He would fill a water balloon with ice, and then set it in a large teacup in the freezer, cutting away the balloon and rinsing off the ice ball a few hours later. Not the most elegant method, but a whole lot cheaper than a Taisin.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour