• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searching for a Cake Stand

pastramionrye

My fiance and I are making cupcakes for our wedding; i am looking for a nice cakestand to display some of them (it doesnt have to fit them all); but i would like it to be somewhat unique if possible. i have searched ebay of late and found nothing too interesting...

anyone have any ideas?

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Here's one that's lit from within, kinda neat.

After about 10 minutes of searching around on the 'net and looking at prices, i have to say, i'd be sorely tempted to construct a stand myself, if i were you.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Hmmm..."nice", eh?

How about something unusual like hat boxes?

Or is that too "out of the box" :wink: , so to speak?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You could buy several cake stands in various sizes and stack them to form a tiered display. Doing two or three towers this way would look impressive and relate to a tradiitional tiered wedding cake.

If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could make cake stands from poured sugar or pastillage. This would very inexpensive and let you make them as unusual as your imagination.

If you had the skill/knowledge poured sugar bases would be incredible...as Neil mentioned. But I don't think it's something for a non-professionals to tackle at their own wedding.....so if you have the knowledge I'd go for it.

There are alot of companies that make cake stands, but I can't think of one that's unique or stylish. Their mostly made of white plastic. You certainly can make your own out of any materials or existing cake stands.

I think the easiest thing to do- is to buy a cheap plastic cake stand and dress it up. You can paint them, spray paint them, wire real plants to them or leaves so you don't actually see the stand. Glue or attach anything you want to it.....beading, ribbons, cover it with gum paste and build more interest in the structure, even gold leaf if you wanted.

If you live anywhere other than NYC, you can likely get a nice-looking Depression glass or milk glass cake stand for under $25, maybe even under $10 depending on its condition and where you live.

In NYC, fuhgeddaboudit. Molto $$$$. When we visted Chicago/Wisconsin area, I couldn't get over the multitude of gorgeous antique glass going for so cheap! I contemplated loading up a truckload and driving to NYC to sell at the 26th street market, thus making my first million.

Check out the tiered plate stands on this site:

http://www.finehomedisplays.com/products.asp?cat=8

Other types are available on other sites.

You can use plates with lovely designs or plain white.

You can use lace "plate skirts" to make them more decorative - they are often used in weddings with a Victorian theme.

I will see if I can find a photo of one. I am at my office today so do not have all my resources.

Here are some made specifically for cakes, I think they are far too expensive.

http://www.winbeckler.com/victoriastands.asp

This place has some larger tiered buffet servers which might be even better for your purpose.

http://www.galasource.com/prodList.cfm/119...tands,1,1,F,MX1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Have you considered putting up an ad in a local art school, glass or ceramics studio? Lots of art students could use the extra cash, and so long as they are allowed a measure of freedom and can keep a slide of their work, are quite happy to make something cool at low cost. Especially if you promise to give their name to all askers. Also, then you would end up with a nice piece you would have forever.

for the lace things I mentioned,

go to this site http://www.shoppalstores.com/retro_shop/index.cfm

in the search window type in: crocheted covers

The bowl covers are 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch in diameter and also will cover a plate and the sides will hang down like a skirt.

a paper lace doily on top will keep the material in the center clean.

The tiered plate stands can be decorated with flowers. I use them often and wrap herb stems around them for decoration. I have one that has 5 tiers that swivel out and can be aranged in a arc. I tried to find a similar one as the vendor where I bought mine has gone out of business.

The hatbox idea sounds great also. A collection of various sizes would be attractive.

I have several graduated Shaker boxes that I decorate for Christmas and arange in a spiral and set columnar candles on them, small to large from top to bottom.

Two years ago one of the girls in the neighborhood had a 4th of July wedding. They had a patriotic theme. They also had small cakes, not cupcakes, but square tea cakes, decorated with the flag, shallow round cakes, "muffin tops", decorated like starbursts and a few other items, I can't recall the others at the moment

They had a collection of drums of various diameters and depths arranged as the centerpiece on two folding tables fastened together to make a large square, with the cakes and some pulled sugar ribbons winding through the little cakes.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

congratulations. :smile: and what a cool idea... i did some window shopping for ya:

these are pretty, and kind of wedding-y. more info on them can be found here

this one is also pretty, and comes in different colors. more info here

this is really striking, even without the dome, but it ain't cheap. more info

another option if you're into butterflies. more info

ok, just one more. more info

Yikes. The session timed out. :angry:

http://www.samsclub.com

On the left are categories. Under "Personal Needs," click on "New Items" (second choice on the list). The three, various sized, crystal cake stands will come up as about the fourth item. It is under $30. They stack up nicely for a lovely tiered display.

I hope these directions help. I checked later last evening and the link still worked.... What's up with "sessions"? :wacko: