• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best sushi/maki in Toronto

Stalder

My limited experience with sushi has led me to Edo on Eglington West where I have always enjoyed their creative maki rolls.

I was wondering which other Japanese Resto's in the toronto area have great and creative maki and sushi?

Any suggestions?

For creativity, I don't think Edo can be beat. Plus their Green Tea Creme Brulee is insanely good.

However, one of the best sushi joints in Toronto has the be Hiro Sushi it's super fresh, and seems more traditional (yet still inventive) then Edo.

Both of those places however are pretty pricey on my student budget. If I want good sushi, for a reasonable price I go to either Sushi Man or Sushi on Bloor.

Edited by piperdown (log)

A couple of weeks ago six of us went to Sushi Kaji and had the Omakase menu. It was expensive, but extremely creative and full of delightful tastes and textures. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a special evening of sushi. One thing though -- we missed out by not sitting at the bar. To be able to watch Kaji prepare dishes to order would have made our experience even better.

Kim

If u want good sushi, a freindly atmostphere and a can't be beat price you have to go to Mariko on the Danforth. It's right behind Carrot Common. For 23 dollars there is an all you can eat menu with just about any kind of maki/nigiri you could want as well as countless things from the hot kitchen.So bassicly when i want to fill myself with enoyment I will go there and stuff myself so full of sushi that im about to pop, have a good conversation with my long time freind and all around nice guy, Juno(the sushi chef there,very freindly) and my buddy Ken who is the owner there and relax and have a great time. They bassicly always have a seat open at the sushi bar so not much need for a reservation but then again if u want to be safe go ahead.;) I started going to this place when i was 11 and I am now 20, that is one heck of alot of repeat buisness,so they have to be doing something right.:) Try it out,you wont be disapointed.

Oh and i forgot to add something regarding Hiro. Not meaning to hurt the tender feelings of any hard-core Hiro fans and though I havent opened up my very own countinuously busy Sushi bar that is regarded as one of the best in the city any time during my life. I mst say that I was very disapointed with Hiro when i went to his establishment. I sat down at the sushi bar, waited about 25 minutes before anyone even aproached me for my food order and then finally proceded to eat a sub-par Neggi Hamachi that even though i don't remember the exact price of probably cost me way too much money. Thus i quietley ate my maki, paid my bill and politley left, never to return. Just recentley however i encountered Hiro again at Toronto Taste. So out of pure curiousity i sampled one of his California rolls, nothing fancy just your typical every day California roll. Once again i was disapointed (suprise,suprise). Heck though,who am i to judge? Most foodies i talk to rant and rave about Hiro sushi, we have family freinds who swear by him. Allas from what i have consumed of his Sushi leads me to believe that Hiro is overrated.

Has no one tried Japango - on Elizabeth just off Dundas? It's not much to look at, grant you, and the place is tiny, but the food - wonderful!

I was there in May and had a gorgeous soft-shell crab roll - the crab lightly tempura-d - so good.

The rice is impeccable, the sashimi so fresh you expect it to be wiggling - the food is so not what you'd expect in the tiny little slightly run-down storefront across from a construction site - but well worth the trip!

Has no one tried Japango - on Elizabeth just off Dundas? It's not much to look at, grant you, and the place is tiny, but the food - wonderful!

Probably the best seafood I have had the good fortune to encounter anywhere in the world! These guys are producing quality sushi and sashimi in unpretentious surroundings and for an amazingly good price. You will not find fresher fish in the city, and the chef is highly skilled at slicing the fish properly so that each morsel melts in your mouth like butter. The rice is perfectly cooked and seasoned, the nori is always freshly rolled (none of that wax-paper that other sushi restaurants serve) and the service is attentive and friendly. It is small, and not a 'designer' restaurant, but it surpasses so many other restaurants in the city, that I have become a regular (alone and with others). I am almost loathe to tell people about it for fear that one day I won't be able to have a table.....! :raz:

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.