• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gavroche

Brad Trent

oddly & unfortunately, gavroche does not seem to be able to draw any sort of a regular crowd. also unfortunately, i believe the prices for their wines are too high. for example, most wines by the glass are $9 or more for very common ordinary wines. this is a shame, insulting & off-putting.

the chef has an excellent pedigree, but the main course i tried, the coq au vin, was disappointing, & i have been reluctant to order other mains. the pate, on the other hand, as entree, was excellent.

i have visited this restaurant many times & this saddens me because i truly believe this could be an excellent go-to bistro that is geographically well located. its difficult to criticize directly, so i post here. the chef/owner is a wonderful chef, but appears to have lost a half-step & needs to regain that step. the co-owner is a wonderful, enchanting french woman, who has her heart in the right place. i hope these two can look objectively at their bistro & address some of these issues affecting their performance enabling a place, like this, to survive the demanding nyc clientele. if not, i fear, these types of enterprises will fall by the wayside - good intentions, but faulty execution!! :sad:

Franco-philes listen up! I just got word that you can get the Galette de Rois at Gavroche during the week of the Epiphany (1/3-1/9), you can get the cake by the slice or buy a whole one that feeds 6.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.