• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon and diabetes, cholesterol levels

Thanks SO much for posting the article!! :smile:  Zipped it right off to my little brother, who's been a Juvenile Diabetic since he was 7 (He's 34 now, and it's already taken one eye, miserable, bastard disease that it is. :angry: ).  He's pretty on top of the happenin's as far as natural supplements go, but I always like to think maybe I'll send along the one thing he hasn't seen, and that it might be a help.  Sure appreciate it.

Beegew, the study was proven to help Type 2 Diabetics, not Type I, unfortunately. (Type I is also know as Juvenile Diabletes, in case anyone did not know) :sad: The two diseases are less alike then their names would suggest. But, on the other hand, what would it hurt to add a tasty substance like cinnamon to the diet? Especially when there's Splenda to mix with it!

Cinnamon Scented Chicken Breasts

Just read an article that cinnamon is used around most of the world in its savory form yet, in America, usually paired with sweet ingredients. Cultural bias, I assume ... :rolleyes:

Well that's the thing. I've been tempted to ask if Cinnamon Sugar balances out the good and bad effects of the two substances. :hmmm:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Well that's the thing.  I've been tempted to ask if Cinnamon Sugar balances out the good and bad effects of the two substances.  :hmmm:

in your dreams, as the saying goes .... :laugh:

But cinnamon and Splenda work nicely together.

I mix it together and put in in the shakers that have the screen mesh top, medium size mesh, as the Splenda in the large containers is not as fine as sugar. These also have the advantage of having a cap that keeps the top clean and the stuff from leaking out if the shaker is overturned.

The kitchen here at the office is very modest but has a toaster and now we have low-carb bread which makes adequate cinnamon toast.

I make bread pudding with Splenda and cinnamon, or mini bread puddings in muffin pans, which are just brioche rolls cut in quarters so the exposed cuts can absorb the egg custard, then cinnamon and Splenda sprinkled over the top. High protein, low sugar. Good for us T-2 diabetniks.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I make bread pudding with Splenda and cinnamon, or mini bread puddings in muffin pans, which are just brioche rolls cut in quarters so the exposed cuts can absorb the egg custard, then cinnamon and Splenda sprinkled over the top.  High  protein, low sugar.  Good for us T-2 diabetniks.

Good for us T1's too! Do you have a recipe to share? :smile:

I make bread pudding with Splenda and cinnamon, or mini bread puddings in muffin pans, which are just brioche rolls cut in quarters so the exposed cuts can absorb the egg custard, then cinnamon and Splenda sprinkled over the top.  High  protein, low sugar.  Good for us T-2 diabetniks.

Good for us T1's too! Do you have a recipe to share? :smile:

It is just a plain egg custard ony made with Splenda instead of sugar.

I don't really use a recipe, I figure 2 eggs for each cup of milk, depending on egg size.

This is a recipe for an extra rich bread pudding, my own recipe, which I use to make bread pudding in a large loaf pan to be sliced and fried for something similar to French toast.

You would have to cut the recipe down for the little ones made in muffin pans.

Extra Rich Bread Pudding

8 extra large eggs

3 cups milk

1 cup cream (or half & half)

2/3 cup sugar (or Splenda to cut calories, it works just fine)

2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

4 to 5 cups rough bread cubes

(Tear day old bread into pieces about 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes.)

Spray a large loaf pan with canola oil (or Pam) (can also use a Bundt pan)

Combine eggs, milk and cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and spices in a large bowl.

Beat until eggs are completely blended.

Add the bread cubes and press down into the egg mixture with a spatula. Cover and set aside for about 20 to 30 minutes until the bread has soaked up most of the egg mixture.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour the mixture into the loaf pan to within 1/2 inch of the top.

Set the loaf pain into a baking pan and place in the oven.

Pour boiling water into the pan till it is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep.

Bake for one hour.

Test by inserting a thin knife blade into the pudding near the center.

If it comes out wet continue baking for an additional 10 minutes. Test again until knife blade comes out clean.

(It will take longer to bake in humid weather.)

Remove from oven and immediately brush top with melted butter.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you--it looks great! I'm not sure I'll be able to get to try it this weekend, but if I do, I'll definitely report back on my efforts. I think my husband would really go for the 'French Toast' effect. (especially since it takes longer to bake in humid weather-you'd think this was August in DC, and it's only June) :huh:

Update on my initial post: since I read the article on cinnamon, I purposely eat a dish of applesauce daily with a half teaspoon of cinnamon and have watched my blood glucose make some small improvement as a result (this is the only variable which has changed in my eating habits at this time). Perhaps an element of truth in the study after all?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The study looks intriguing. But it was a small study with a small population. And the Pakistani diet is different from the American diet. I'd like to see a study of a larger population eating a U.S. diet.

That said, I've added cinnamon to my diet. Within 3-9 weeks it should kick in, if all goes according to the Pakistan study.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 3 years later...

According to this report summarized by the American Diabetes association from the journal Diabetes Care, unfortunately there appears to be no substance to the claim of beneficial effects of cinnamon on bllod sugar or fat levels.

This led them to perform a large review, or "meta-analysis," of five studies in which a total of 282 type 1 or type 2 diabetic patients were randomly assigned to receive cinnamon or a placebo and were followed for up to 16 weeks.

All five studies used cinnamon cassia, "the same cinnamon most people have in their spice racks at home," Coleman noted. Doses ranged from 1 to 6 grams daily.

As mentioned, the use of cinnamon did not significantly alter hemoglobin A1C -- a marker of blood sugar control. It also had no effect on fasting blood sugar levels or lipid parameters. Analyses by subgroup and sensitivity did not appreciably alter these results.

Of major significance is that this study did not look at true cinnamon. Instead they used what most people in the US think of as cinnamon - cassia. It is not clear to me from the New Scientist article quoted at the beginning of this topic which form of cinnamon the Pakistani study used. I would wager, however, that it was true cinnamon and not cassia.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz