• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Public Display of Inspection

Raynickben

Health officials in Dallas want to require restaurants to publically post their inspection scores and enroll ALL employees in food handling certification classes. Story by Emily Ramshaw here.

Houston and Austin already post their inspection scores so some of the Dallas restauranteurs complaints don't hold a lot of water but I can see their side of things too. I often check the web for the scores now anyway so I wouldn't be gaining a lot if they post them on the doors but I'm sure most patrons would. . . IF they understand what is behind the scores.

How is this public display of inspection effecting restaurants in Houston and Austin?

When I lived in Houston in the early 80's there was a guy named Marvin Zindler who used to do televised reports from restaurants that had some kind of inspection issues. He seemed particularly fond of showing rats running around dumpsters behind ethnic restaurants. So I suppose in Houston that they have been displaying results for a long time.

Zindler is still around after 50 years in Houston TV, wig and all. Marvin's place in history is solid as he is the reporter portrayed breaking the big story in the "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".

I don't know if he does the restaurant reports anymore, but I kind of suspect he does.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This has been done in Toronto for some time now. For a while, newspapers were publishing results as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We're discussing VA's inspections over on the DC board now...

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

When I lived in Houston in the early 80's there was a guy named Marvin Zindler who used to do televised reports from restaurants that had some kind of inspection issues. He seemed particularly fond of showing rats running around dumpsters behind ethnic restaurants. So I suppose in Houston that they have been displaying results for a long time.

Zindler is still around after 50 years in Houston TV, wig and all. Marvin's place in history is solid as he is the reporter portrayed breaking the big story in the "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".

I don't know if he does the restaurant reports anymore, but I kind of suspect he does.

Marvin still does his restaurant schtick, blue eyeglasses and wig and all. Number one offense?:

"Slime in the ice machine!"