• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Cheese Steak Adventure

Richie111

I am humbled by your cheese steak eating ability. One of the disadvantages of being a petite little thing is that I can only take in one cheesesteak in a 24 hour period.

Glad you made it to D'Allesandros. If you make it out again, perhaps to try Chubbies across the street, try sauce on the cheesesteak. Takes care of the dryness.

What about the onions? Did you find one place did a better job than another?

I think the next time I go visit Grandma we may have to try the pork and brocolli rabe. That thing looks increadible. If only I didn't have to go to work tomorrow. :hmmm:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

To my most recent knowledge, only Dalessando's and Jim's use Amoroso rolls. Geno's uses Villotti-Marinelli bakery rolls (the bakery has a differnt name now, Villotti-something), and Pat's and Tony Luke's use National bakery rolls, from Thorofare, NJ. Same rolls used by the Rocco's Hoagie places.

Never had Rocco's Hoagies.

Didn't really think about the roll whenever I eat either Pat's or TL's 'wiches,

but the National rolls weren't noticably anything.

Seemed serviceable and fine.

Vilotti? I know which place you're talking about, they're on 11th south of Washington. Can't remember the exact name either.

I'm pretty sure Primo Hoagies use Sarcones rolls.

The only time I had a Primo Hoagie, I think it was on a seeded roll.

Damm good roll either way. It did have that Sarcone quality, I think.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

What about the onions?  Did you find one place did a better job than another?

hillvalley - I should have been more attentive to the onions as that was one of the few ingredients in my steaks. Unfortunately, I didn't think of it when I first put the categories together. I do remember Jim's onions well, as there were a big pile of them carmelizing on the grill, and they were a tasty addition to the steak. I remember Pat's, Geno's, and D'Allessandro's onions similarly, not as browned as Jim's (more translucent) and offering more texture than flavor. I don't remember anything about Tony Luke Jr.'s, but maybe because I was distracted by the Roast Pork! :biggrin:

well, i dont eat meat anymore, but in the old days ie 2 weeks ago, my favorite cheesesteak place was Mama's Pizza out in Bala, the street is escaping me. They have their mama's cheesesteak whcih is a blend of 3 cheeses and is so amazing. I still cant pinpoint what cheeses they use, but they are damn good! I think that it is on belmont ave, yeah that it!

ok have fun with your adventures!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

well, i dont eat meat anymore, but in the old days ie 2 weeks ago, my favorite cheesesteak place was Mama's Pizza out in Bala, the street is escaping me. They have their mama's cheesesteak whcih is a blend of 3 cheeses and is so amazing. I still cant  pinpoint what cheeses they use, but they are damn good! I think that it is on belmont ave, yeah that it!

ok have fun with your adventures!

Mama's is on Belmont Ave, adjacent to two cemetaries, a delicious irony. Their cheesesteaks are also the most unusually made I've ever seen.. They grill the meat and onions, eventually tossing them together. Then they add the cheese, mozz, American, provalone, whatever is chosen, and then proceed to toss it together and roll it into a molten mass with two spatulas, chop a big hunk of it off the mass, and push into hollowed out loaves of Italian bread, an amazing sight, if you get to watch.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

You need to get the chicken italian from tony luke's with rab and the hots (ask for it that way). The chicken cutlet sandwich is an underrated gem.

You need to try John's Pork.

I'm not going to argue with your ratings, other than to state that you should not penalize a place that doesn't use whiz.

Provolone with.

You need to get the chicken italian from tony luke's with rab and the hots (ask for it that way). The chicken cutlet sandwich is an underrated gem.

I'm not going to argue with your ratings, other than to state that you should not penalize a place that doesn't use whiz.

Provolone with.

Wouldn't that be provolone wit?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Finally. Someone else who appreciates the value of that chicken cutlet.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hi everyone,

I am going to be in Philadelphia for the first time next week. I have been reading this board and getting lots of great ideas. I am looking forward to some great eating.

Could someone please fill in a few details. What are the precise locations of Tony Luke's and Tony Luke's Jr.?

Thanks, Pam

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

Hi everyone,

I am going to be in Philadelphia for the first time next week. I have been reading this board and getting lots of great ideas. I am looking forward to some great eating.

Could someone please fill in a few details. What are the precise locations of Tony Luke's and Tony Luke's Jr.?

Thanks, Pam

Tony Luke's and Jr. are the same I believe.

The main one is at Front and Oregon Sts. in Philly.

Closed Sundays.

There's another one on 18th St. just south of Chestnut.

I don't think anyone would say it's as good.

I'd say it isn't even close.

(Hmm, is the 18th St. one called TL Jr?)

Get the roast pork with broccoli rabe.

Get the chicken cutlet Italiano.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Finally.  Someone else who appreciates the value of that chicken cutlet.

Oh, the cutlet is good. I like the veal cutlet a li'l bit better- my choice at TL's usually comes down to that or the roast pork- but I won't knock the mighty chicken cutlet.

Bless me, Father, for I am a Southerner.

I really did think I'd had a Philly cheese steak sandwich, without ever having been to Pennsylvania.

We had a Lum's in Marietta, Georgia, back in the Seventies, when you could order that sandwich. And those sandwiches never ever contained American "cheese," or any such. It was probably my first intro to sinful, good food.

What a combo (is this the same sandwich?): The Bun. The sautéed onions and green bell peppers (never my favorite in general, but I'm okay with them in this work). The juicy meat, the whole thing.

It had cheese, and in defense of my teenaged ignorance, I still don't know what it was. But it was so not Cheez Whiz or anything of the Agent Orange blend. It was white, like Monterey Jack, but not.

A juicy, wet, dripping sandwich from Lum's, served in a red plastic basket and lined with grease-catching paper: my culinary passport out of the South.

You lost me at the green peppers.

Otherwise, it sounds like a reasonable facsimile, with different cheese.

But it is just a facsimile. Someday you'll hopefully come and visit and we will happily whisk you off for the full tour and the real deal.

And a Roast Pork sandwich too! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just none of that orange processed cheeeeeese, pleeeeease.

Fear not - although many folks are into the Whiz, there is almost always a selection of American, Provolone or Whiz at any given cheesesteakery.

I like Provolone myself. Inorganic cheese doesn't really float my boat either. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

You need to get the chicken italian from tony luke's with rab and the hots (ask for it that way).  The chicken cutlet sandwich is an underrated gem.

Provolone with.

Wouldn't that be provolone wit?

I stand corrected.

There is no need to go near center city to get a cheesesteak. Go to Tony Luke's at Front and Oregon. Incidently, across the street, there is Tony Luke's House of Pasta. Fairly new to the scene, but respectable.

I confess, I am capable of digressing from 3 yr old aged parmesean to cheez whiz on a steak in .003 seconds.

I don't know what it is about the whiz, the saltiness, the wet melt of it... I come under a trance.

Shhh... this is our little secret.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 3 weeks later...

Richie111, you inspired me to take a bunch of my associates, while on a business trip in Philly, to do the Big 4 (with Tony Luke's). I stuck to provolone and raw onions (nothing else). Pat's was the hands-down winner, and Geno's so bad that none of us would ever go back. Jim's and (get this) Tony Luke's tie for second. The Jim's meat flavor was there, but the sandwich was too dry (somebody forgot the water!). Tony Luke's bread works better for the roast pork/broccoli rabe/sharp provolone, as you noted, but the steak was so good that it ranked with Jim's. No small feat, considering that Tony Luke's steak might be its fourth, fifth or sixth best sandwich! (It being clear that the pork and greens, chicken cutlet and veal cutlet all outrank the steak, at least on paper, and I'm sure some would favor TL's roast beef and Italian hoagie over the steak.) also did the pizza steak at Pat's and Geno's, and again, Pat's was super and Geno's beneath contempt. I bootlegged 8 Pat's cheesesteaks and 1 pizza steak, along with 2 TL's pork/rabe/provolone sandwiches and one of its hoagies, back to NC on a small commuter jet, along with a big bag of soft pretzels and an assortment of tastykake delicacies. I funked up an entire aircraft! Two passengers made it as far as the third row (I was in row 8), then turned back and sat in any seat they could find in the first rows. Can you believe that there are people who find the smell of Pat's steaks with extra raw onions offensive?

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

Richie111, you inspired me to take a bunch of my associates, while on a business trip in Philly, to do the Big 4 (with Tony Luke's).  I stuck to provolone and raw onions (nothing else).  Pat's was the hands-down winner, and Geno's so bad that none of us would ever go back.  Jim's and (get this) Tony Luke's tie for second.  The Jim's meat flavor was there, but the sandwich was too dry (somebody forgot the water!).  Tony Luke's bread works better for the roast pork/broccoli rabe/sharp provolone, as you noted, but the steak was so good that it ranked with Jim's.  No small feat, considering that Tony Luke's steak might be its fourth, fifth or sixth best sandwich! (It being clear that the pork and greens, chicken cutlet and veal cutlet all outrank the steak, at least on paper, and I'm sure some would favor TL's roast beef and Italian hoagie over the steak.)  also did the pizza steak at Pat's and Geno's, and again, Pat's was super and Geno's beneath contempt.  I bootlegged 8 Pat's cheesesteaks and 1 pizza steak, along with 2 TL's pork/rabe/provolone sandwiches and one of its hoagies, back to NC on a small commuter jet, along with a big bag of soft pretzels and an assortment of tastykake delicacies.  I funked up an entire aircraft!  Two passengers made it as far as the third row (I was in row 8), then turned back and sat in any seat they could find in the first rows.  Can you believe that there are people who find the smell of Pat's steaks with extra raw onions offensive?

You were here and you didn't let any of us know???!!!???

We coulda showed you around or sumptin', sheesh! 4_13_2.gif

Of course had there been any true Philadelphians on that plane you'd have had to fight to the death to keep those steaks :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

What's up with the raw onions? Interesting.

Of the two big ones down there, I came to prefer Geno's to Pat's years ago, and just have been going there without thinking about it for a while. I'ma have to go back to Pat's next time I'm in the neighborhood and in the mood for a cheesesteak (admittedly those two factors don't coincide very often).

What's up with the raw onions?  Interesting.

Of the two big ones down there, I came to prefer Geno's to Pat's years ago, and just have been going there without thinking about it for a while.  I'ma have to go back to Pat's next time I'm in the neighborhood and in the mood for a cheesesteak (admittedly those two factors don't coincide very often).

Speaking as one whose Cheesesteak Jones strikes very infrequently (much like yourself, apparently), I have to put in another vote for Pat's vs. Geno's. The meat's just better. Somehow if I'm on the Geno's side of the street at that hour seeking post-bar-hopping eats I end up at La Lupe instead of Geno's. 23_28_113.gif

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Sorry, Katie, but there was no time to get together wit youse guys! It was a business trip, and we were holed up about 40 minutes outside the city, except for arrival and departure at the airport. We may be back with more time later, so if you want to PM me some contact info, next trip may be a winner. And mrbigjas, at least a third of all cheesesteaks (and 100% of mine!) are ordered up with raw onions. Now don't get me wrong-the properly caramelized cooked onion is classic. However, notice that the "raw" onions at a place like Pat's or Jim's are actually in a big mound on the grill, waiting their turn to become cooked onions. Those guys sweat a little, and then when you dump them on the hot steak and cheese, they get sweet, but with a little raw onion bite still left and a decent crunch that makes the perfect sandwich for me. Lastly, sampled a Pat's wit Whiz, too, and while I am a lifelong provolone fan, I must admit that there is some interesting and delicious chemistry going on inside a Pat's Whiz!

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com