• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

International Food Mart

Liza

first time through the tunnel? ;)

i hope you're coming in search of asain ingredients.  they do have quite a selection.  although, i'm sure most can be found in chinatown.

the meat is relatively inexpensive here.  the fish always looks dodgy, but you can judge for yourself.

there's nothing much else that i can say.  good luck!

you will find a vast array of not only asian foods, but foods from around the world at the internation food mart.  you'd be hard pressed to find one single place in chinatown that would have anywhere near the selection of asian foods.  i'd take the trip.  what the heck, it's not far.  stop in hoboken for lunch.

Good luck on your jaunt!

Be sure to report back on your discoveries.

Rosie - This sounds like  the place just south of the Holland Tunnel and north of Newport Center Mall. I often see people with wheeled bag carriers boarding PATH at Pavonia, brimming with food and merchandise.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

If you want to schlepp yourself and the purchases back to where-ever, my data base (self-made) gives this info:

Foodmart International  100 Boyle Plz Jersey City, NJ (201) 656-6950

Take  PATH train to Newport/Pavonia station in Jersey City, walk on 6th st west 3 blocks to Munoz Marin Blvd. Go north 4/5 blocks to plaza.

Peter

Quote: from Peter B Wolf on 8:25 pm on Jan. 15, 2002

Tommy, read my BIO, but yes you have heard the name as Peter Wolf, bandleader in the late 60s early 70s, and married to Fay Dunaway. That is not I.

i was thinking more along the lines of the late 70s early 80s pop band "The J. Geils Band" known for their classics "Love Stinks" and "P*ss on the Wall".  This you is certainly not!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this back to food, (insert emoticon here, please!) but we finally did get to International Food Mart this morning, and I'm still breathing heavy. Wow. I think we can say a place is enormous when there are birds flying around overhead. We must have spent two hours combing the aisles. Picked up Barry's tea and Batchelor's peas from Ireland, Swatow Rice Vinegar (for .99!), Ligo sardines in tomato sauce AND chili sauce, wasabi in a tube (1.29), wonton wrappers, Zunimex dried Hoja Santa leaves (1/4 oz. for .99) , Oaxaca Chile Costeno and Chile Mulato (each 1.29),  Health Valley Amaranth Flakes cereal for 3.49! Nice produce, really interesting ice cream flavors - avocado anyone? B Edulis said the fish counter looked fresher and cleaner than before, though neither of us bought any.