• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Pistons and... Barbaresco & Barolo?!

geo t.

We made the mistake of drinking some so-so '02 Paringa Cab and Shiraz during Game 2, so we went back to the well, so to speak for Game 3, with much better results all around.

1990 Marchese di Gresy Barbaresco Gaiun Martinenga, $85, 14% alc.: Kim absolutely raves about this somewhat rusty ruby garnet, calling it “voluptuous” and “fabulous,” and she has a point. While the slightly tarry, smoky prune and dried sour cherry aromatics aren’t exactly exuberant at first, the flavors certainly are, with plenty of smoky, dusty dried sour cherry, black cherry, leather, a little licorice and subtle elements of road tar in the background. There are still some tannins here, along with good acidity and a lovely finish, and after it had been open for about an hour, it reminded me of a hypothetical cross between a red Burgundy and a Chateauneuf du Pape, of all things. Quite simply, a marvelous wine, and still on the way up, if this bottle is any indication.

Imported by Paterno Imports, Chicago, IL

1995 Luigi Pira Barolo Marenca, $44.99, 14% alc.: The ruby dark garnet color of this intense Barolo is showing just a little rust at this point; the nose, while muted initially, opens to show floral overtones to the dark plum and black cherry aromatics. There’s nothing stingy about the flavors, which echo the bouquet in a big way, gaining an earthy, leathery quality with air. This has dense, intense concentration, along with tannins that beg for another five years minimum in the cellar. Kim wasn’t nearly as impressed with this as with the di Gresy, but give it enough time, and it’ll soften up, develop more complexity and really start to sing.

A Marc de Grazia Selection, imported by Vin Divino, Chicago, IL

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

Old school wine and old school ball. I loved this series. Jump shots, rebouding, passing and great team play. BTW Coop's favorite team....whoever is playing the Lakers.

I'd agree with you now Coop, but back in the day, the Lakers were my favorite team...

...except when they were playing the Pistons. I loved Magic and Kareem and Silk and Clark Kent and the rest of those guys.

It was the Celtics I never liked...

};^)>

The Gang of Pour

Only Laker era I could stand was the one with Jerry West and Gail Goodrich. I find it interesting that you go Piemonte in the clutch. Did you expect this area to be more "money" then Tuscany? Any thoughts on Pruddottori 1999 regular bottling in Magnums?

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I find it interesting that you go Piemonte in the clutch. Did you expect this area to be more "money" then Tuscany? Any thoughts on Pruddottori 1999 regular bottling in Magnums?

It's just the way things happened, Coop, no rhyme or reason; we DID do Brunellos for Games 1 and 4. Haven't had the Pruddottori 1999, so I can't say.

The Gang of Pour

Only Laker era I could stand was the one with Jerry West and Gail Goodrich. I find it interesting that you go Piemonte in the clutch. Did you expect this area to be more "money" then Tuscany? Any thoughts on Pruddottori 1999 regular bottling in Magnums?

The 99 Produttori del Barbaresco wines are not really ready to drink - not even the regular bottling (especially in magnum!). I just tasted the entire 99 line-up at the winery a few weeks ago. They are beautiful classic wines - and great values.