• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs Catering

finker99

To our many friends and customers,

Fink’s regrets to announce that due to ill health coupled with sharply rising pork and chicken prices we will be closing the doors to our restaurant on Saturday, July 3 2004. We are truly sorry to have to take this step, but we still plan to remain as a catering operation doing both public and private parties. We already have several public events lined up for the next few months including the River Edge Car Show on Continental Avenue in town, on Sunday, July 18th, the River Edge fireworks on July 3rd (our last day) at Kenneth B. George Field, and the Fire Chief’s Association Parade on October 2nd.

We also now have a comprehensive catering menu for parties of 50 and up. This menu includes many of your favorites like our pulled pork, bbq chicken, whole pigs, salads, wraps, and more. We also plan to offer pick up service for trays of bbq and other items on the weekends.

If you are interested in our public schedule and/or would like information on private parties please leave your name, either an email address, fax number, and/or mailing address and you can receive our monthly news letter with catering deals, days we will be open for call ahead takeout, and our public appearances.

Once again we are sorry that we have found it necessary to take this step, but at this time the restaurant operation is no longer self sustaining and the time involved is enormous, Fink had to go to the hospital for some time off. We do hope you choose to stay in touch and to see you at our various public functions and would like to thank you very much for all of your support and understanding over the last 2 ½ years.

Thank You,

Fink, Kate, Chip, Lisa, and the rest of the gang at Fink’s Funky Chicken and Ribs

The above is our formal letter to all of our customers but we would espicially like to thank all of the people from e gullet who came and tried our food, Yes we will still be doing the egullet pig roast so don't worry about that. Our catering menu will be finalized this evening and I feel our bbq will be better becuase we will be able to focus more on the meats for the individual parties rather than the daily grind of a restaurant. Once again, thank you all for your support and I look forward to having a little more free time to see you all at various e-gullet events (espicially the pig roast!!)

Fink and the Gang

Fink & gang

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Bummer! Best wishes for your future endeavors. I have very fond memories of last year's eGullet pig roast.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wow, I am so saddened by this. I knew Dave had been under the weather lately, but the restaurant always seemed busy, so I figured things were going OK. We're going to miss having the option of going to Fink's whenever we felt like some great BBQ or even a burger.

Will you still be operating out of the same location? And, if so, if we see the lights on can we come begging at the door for whatever you're cooking as the catering menu?

Since you are concentrating on catering, perhaps next year you'll be able to join the BABBP. :wink:

Oh my God, what are we going to do? No more ultimate cheesesteaks? no more Chippers? No more Atomic Dogs? No more pulled pork and ribs?

We'll really miss the place, David. Best of luck with the new operation.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I feel awful about your situation, business is rough these day and as I had written months ago it only will get more difficult for the individual business person. The chains are finally getting a grasp in NJ, just like Fla & Calif. Soon every highway will be represented not only by Burger King, McFuck me's and TGIF's, but Panera Bread, Macaroni Grill and other fragmented corporations. A good few of these "eating establishments" now have knife-free kitchens so they pay less in insurance. That's funny. :wacko:

How do we compete? I don't know.

I for one am seriously questioning how I'm in business still after 10 years when I have great difficulty (a) getting reviewed by ANY NJ paper beside my local Daily Record. (b) Not a single magazine. ( Besides the NJ Monthly Reader's Poll) Hey, the people speak. :biggrin: © Still can't get into Zagat's after all the questions last year, but that's an alltogether different topic.

In other words, as has always been, enjoy that place where you meet had dinner with your 1st love or where you sold that big business deal that started your career but you know what? Your children will be having their rehersal dinner at The SF Soy Bean & Vegan on Rt 10 next to Penang's Tofu.

Still can't get into Zagat's after all the questions last year, but that's an alltogether different topic.

That really should be another topic, Lou...I work in higher ed, and I'm officially equating Zagat's with the US News & World Report rankings. Same shit, different 'industry'--but the same problem--John Q. Public looks to it as THE word. YEESH!!! It really is amazing that any independent restaurant owner can survive. I'm not surprised that you're doing it--just amazed by any/all who do!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

. The chains are finally getting a grasp in NJ, just like Fla & Calif. Soon every highway will be represented not only by Burger King, McFuck me's and TGIF's, but Panera Bread, Macaroni Grill and other fragmented corporations. A good few of these "eating establishments" now have knife-free kitchens so they pay less in insurance. That's funny. :wacko:

How do we compete? I don't know.

Yes, it's ironic.. we had a big discussion about chain restaurants and even the knowledgeable foodies on Egullet have defended patronizing these chain-clones. And in NJ when you see a line outside a building on the highway, you know it's Outback or Chili's or some other chain.

Here in Bergen County, Cheesesteak Factory generates a lot more interest (even here!) than a real restaurant like Harvest Bistro in Closter. It seems that in the American suburbs, chefs that care about food and create in the kitchen will be a diminishing breed. Fink cared about what he served. And he can't make a go of it;

As far as Zagat, Outback is listed (what a joke) but Lou's place or Harvest Bistro are not listed.

Best of luck, Fink.

Just one more folk wishing you the best! We will be in this weekend I am sure!

any chance you'll share that cornbread recipe!!!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Hey Fink -

One of the things that I was really excited about moving to North Jersey was because I had been reading about your place here on eGullet....And now that I finally get her you're leaving me :shock:

I did get in last Saturday and got an assortment of take-out....I thought your brisket was fantastic. And your BBQ sauce....amazing. Any chance you might sell some of it retail if we came out to the store?

Good luck....

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I had a party catered by Finks last Sat. Ten racks of ribs and a tray of wings, everything was literally inhaled. I'm pretty famous for my ribs around town, and could have taken credit, but I've got to give it to Dave, Chip and his crew they make some great food. I hope everybody checks them out, their choices are varied, they're very accomidating and the prices are very reasonable. Good luck in the future.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Need a little help...I'm finally going to get up to Fink's today--what are the DON'T-MISS items??? I got the menu faxed to me and will pre-order...

Thanks in advance for the help!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Finally got to Fink's yesterday, and I can't decide if I'm glad that it took this long for me to go or I'm sorry--only b/c I'd be taking that ride waaaaaaaay too often! :wub:

Fink, it was all delicious, but I have to say that my biggest surprise was the pulled CHICKEN! I ordered the sampler plate b/c I didn't want to miss out on anything, and I almost asked for more pulled pork or ribs instead of the chicken; I'm so glad that I didn't! Seriously--that was some of the best BBQ I've had in a very long time. Sorry you weren't in--I had hoped to say hello. I ordered 1/2 doz wings, the sampler platter (ribs, brisket, pulled pork and pulled chicken), large fries, and the individual sweet potato torte. Had the wings as an app when I got home, and about 2 hours later, warmed up the sampler platter. Now I know why everyone has been raving. Sigh...

Thanks to a friend backing out on me last night, I have enough left over for dinner again tonight. Best to you in your next stage...I look forward to seeing you at the eG event in September!

Be well,

Curlz

Just a reminder that tomorrow (Sat) is the last day that Fink's storefront is open. I just called--hours today and tomorrow are 11am - 10pm.

As of July 3, a minimum catering order for Finks is 3 racks of ribs or 4 chickens -- and pulled items and sides are by the quart. Quite reasonable, but you need to call Tuesday for weekend pickup:

http://www.finksfunky.net/pre-order.htm

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Pity. Never got up there. Just a little too far afield I guess to mesh with the way I live.

David & Lou, I feel for you guys, keeping your independent businesses going as you do, & admire you.

The homogenization of our culinary choices is another topic, all I can say is grrrrrrrrr!!!!! :angry:

I do my best to keep my local non-chain (Rutherford) restaurants afloat.

Good luck to Fink's & good health to everyone there!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 weeks later...

fink and eric (sp?) blew my friends away recently. i ordered one of their standard party menus, and in rolled these two nuts with a huge grill and buckets of food. they had the whole setup up and running within minutes.

me: "hey guys, i thought you could set up in this little corner". eric: "huh, how about over here where's there's a lot more room, we got a lot of stuff". me: "why don't you guys back the trucks up right over here somewhere. yeah, that'd be great. yeah."

ericfink.jpg

..."and i don't like the way you're looking at my food"

fink1.jpg

there wasn't much in this shot, but there was a lot.

thegrill.jpg

i've been doing ribs and pulled pork for my friends for a while now, and up until that day, they thought i ruled. from that day on, they knew otherwise: fink rules. people talked about the food for days.

i can't say enough about fink and eric. not only did they bring excellent food, and heat, but fink abused my guests, which was just perfect. :biggrin: line of the day: one of my friends has a smart comment directed towards fink, and fink comes back, all dead-pan like fink is wont to do, with "well i don't like the way you're looking at my food". i wish i could remember what my butthead friend said, but it almost doesn't matter. humor and abuse, apparently, comes with the package when fink caters your party. :laugh:

highly recommended, by tommy.

Edited by tommy (log)