• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wondee's in Hackensack

Jason Perlow x

Thanks to another session with MSN MapPoint, navigated our way to & from Polifly Ave with no hitches this time.

Wondee's was only half as crowded (a bit less than half full) tonight as it was exactly one week ago.  How does one explain that?

Ghostrider..

I was part of that meager crowd. Where were you sitting? We were the two women sitting in the back.

It was the first time for me and we loved it!

It was hard to pick from the menu; there was so many items that I wanted to try. We decided to go with the suggestions from this thread..

My friend and I shared the Moo Ping, Bean Thread Pad Thai, Green Curry with Chicken, and the Crispy Duck with Tamarind Sauce. Needless to say, I took home the leftovers. Lucky me!

Will definitely be back to try some of the other items on the menu.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Ghostrider..

I was part of that meager crowd.  Where were you sitting?  We were the two women sitting in the back.

It was the first time for me and we loved it! 

Ah, you'd probably left by the time we got there (around 9:10). We sat in back too & we were the only ones in that part of the restaurant; the section to the left of the front door as you walk in was full up at that point.

We have leftovers too. Wondee's food is a great value on top of being so good.

Next time you guys are going, post on the ISO: Dining Friends thread, maybe we or someone else will join you and you could finally order the moo ping!

I am very bad at planning ahead - I generally don't know what I want for dinner on any given day until I wake up - but it's time that I got better at it! Next time I'll try to look a few days into the future. I urge other interested folks to post there too, it won't be hard to get us back up there.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Point taken; it never hurts to try.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 1 month later...

True, but atmosphere doth not a good Thai restaurant make.

About the only dish I like better at Bangkok Garden than I do at Wondees is their Yum Nuea, or beef salad. Its probably why I haven't been back in ages.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

About the only dish I like better at Bangkok Garden than I do at Wondees is their Yum Nuea, or beef salad. Its probably why I haven't been back in ages.

I think maybe the fact that I am Thai, and that I have never been to Thailand because I was adopted when I was 5 months old, is maybe why I like going to Bangkok garden for the Atmosphere. Gives me more of a feeling of where I come from. :biggrin:

The fact that you "have not been back in ages" argues well that you should try BG again. Have now been there twice in the past few months and we had a good experience each time. As good as Wondees? I would now say yes.

Hank

Bangkok Garden isn't BYO as far as i know.  a huge strike against it in my book.

Since Thai food is usually spicy, (anyway the dishes we order) we generally drink beer with it so BYO is really not an issue with us nor should it ever be if the food is very good.

Though BYO is a huge plus it has never been the reason why I would go or not go to a restaurant.

Hank

Bangkok Garden isn't BYO as far as i know.  a huge strike against it in my book.

Since Thai food is usually spicy, (anyway the dishes we order) we generally drink beer with it so BYO is really not an issue with us nor should it ever be if the food is very good.

Though BYO is a huge plus it has never been the reason why I would go or not go to a restaurant.

when very good/same food is across the street and i get to decide what wine (usually a riesling with spicy food for me) i will enjoy with the excellent food, and that wine is 8 dollars instead of 20, yeah, i'd say for me that it is and will always remain a reason why i would go or not go to a restaurant. i'm spending less, drinking better wine, and eating comparable food. it's a no-brainer.

however, i'll concede that this situation is exceptional.

• 1 month later...

Hitmanoo and his lovely wife joined me for a Wondees run a few nights ago and I wanted to reiterate how much I love this place. This is hands down the best Thai restaurant I have ever been.

I was a bit under the weather, so I started with the Thome Yum Koon which really hit the spot. We split the crispy duck salad as an appetizer and it was wonderful.

We decided to try some new dishes this time around.

They have soft shell crabs served with three different sauces and we opted for the Penang sauce. It was a perfect accompaniment to the crabs themselves. We also ordered the bean thread pad thai and I must say this might have been my favorite dish of the night. I have never quite had pad thai like this before. I find that pad thai can often have muddled flavors. This is not the case at Wondees. The balance of flavors was perfect. Our other dish was a chicken Pad Khing which is ginger, onion, and mushrooms in a spicy black bean sauce. The chicken was cooked perfectly and the spiciness was right on the money. If like me, you don't always feel like grilling in 90 degree weather, head over to Wondees. I promise you will not be disappointed. Oh yeah, and the total bill with tip and tax for the 3 of us was $63.

• 5 months later...

This is my favorite place in Bergen County hands down!..besides my own of course.

I have a question..Ive asked for "Thai Spicy" and Ive gotten it I think..well half of my beard was singed off.. :)

Is the usual heat of these chiles a suttle pop of taste followed by intense throat heat?