• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source of Kobe Beef

Hello,

I'm thinking about a BBQ and was wondering if anyone had a source for Kobe Steak? Preferrably on the western side of St Laurent on the island.

Also, what are the prices like?

Thanks,

Max

Edited by maxanon (log)

Good Luck, as far as I know you cannot buy retail Kobe style beef in Montreal.

Even if you did it would be absurdly expensive. I was buying it for a little bit wholesale from Morgan Farms in Montanna, and it cost 35$ a POUND, for rib eyes and striploins, it was more expensive for the Filets. Too expensive.

Good luck, as far as I know you cannot buy retail Kobe style beef in Montreal.

Even if you did it would be absurdly expensive.  I was buying it for a little bit wholesale from Morgan Farms in Montanna, and it cost 35$ a POUND, for rib eyes and striploins, it was more expensive for the Filets. Too expensive.

I've never seen it around town either but you might be interested in the following quotes from Where's the Beef?, a profile of Puslinch, Ontario cattleman Ken Kurosawatsu that appeared in the November 2003 issue of En Route:

Wagyu beef fits right into this scheme of food fetishism. Some of it can be sold at almost $500 a pound in Japan. There, even the supermarket grade goes for about $30 a pound. Pricey but worth it, says Farmer Ken, who sells some of his meat at $50 a pound to Japanese restaurants and specialty butchers in Toronto and Montreal; what’s left of the 35,000 pounds annually is exported to South America and Australia.

and

So I head to Montreal’s Kaizen Treehouse, recommended by Kurosawatsu and the only outfit that buys whole Wagyu carcasses from him. There, my guest and I happily secure the last two Kobe steaks off the menu. Penélope Cruz, who happens to be in town filming a movie, breezes into the room. "I hope she’s not here for the beef," I grumble to my dining companion, "’cause I’ll fight her for it."

I ask to see the beef before it’s cooked. With my new-found expertise, I give it a BMS of 7. Twenty minutes later, it emerges from the kitchen flash-grilled, with a good crust on the outside but raw on the inside. I push aside the potato crisp, ignore the broccoli and go straight for the pretty pile of beef slices with my chopsticks.

The first segment liquefies upon entering my mouth. It still has some substance to chew on, but not much. Sweet, velvety and succulent, the fat infiltrates every nook and cranny of my mouth. I have to stop myself from drooling. I hope my fellow diners will pardon my moans because I’m busy having a sensual experience.

Five ounces later, I’m full. It’s a good thing, at 88 bucks a plate. And although I come from solid, rural Canadian stock, a meat-and-potatoes kind of girl, I now understand what the big deal is.

I believe I've also read that kobe beef is grown in Alberta (Cranmore, maybe?). No leads on which specialty butchers, if any, sell it or Kurosawatsu's product.

Thanks,

I realise that its an indulgence, but I was thinking a couple of pounds grilled and sliced would be a good thing. I'll head over the the Marche de L'Ouest and I'll report here with the findings.

I read that enroute article a ways back and others that speak of the amazing Kobe Beef. I was always hesitant to plunk down that much serious cash for a steak at a resto. But, I'm very intrigued. Thanks for steeling my determination carswell.

Max.

They might know:

Wagyu Canada Inc.

3501 - 57 St.

Camrose AB T4V 4N2

Tel: 780-672-2990 Fax: 780-672-6085

Toll Free: 1-877-672-5623

E-mail: beef@kobeclassic.com

President/CEO: Pat McCarthy

General Office Mgr: Kimberly McCarthy

Sales: Pat McCarthy

Product(s): Marbled Wagyu Beef (Bone In, Boneless)

Brand(s): Kobe Classic Beef

Edited by carswell (log)

I called Fresh Cutz (514-685-2889) and they do have Kobe (different types from sirloin, strip and ribeye).

Now the prices are very quick off the phone and don't quote me on these (as the supply seems kinda scarce) but they range from mid 50s to low 90s/kilo, respectively.

Right now they only have frozen sirloins but they'll get a new shipment next week. Any opinions on frozen steaks? Worth about 55$/kilo?

Max

• 3 months later...

I went to Fresh Cutz today looking their Canadian Kobe beef, but noticed they have closed operations!!!! I went there last year shortly after they opened, when I was told they had Canadian Kobe beef. I've tried their Canadian Kobe beef a couple of times, & found it very very good(the marbling was incredible). Too bad they have closed.

-Steve

Closed?  I had some just a month ago from there and didn't see any signs of closing.

That's too bad.  Now I need to find a new place

there still open we did test 3 week ago not impress for the price

call RON 514-865 9059

rib steak 94.00$ kg

filet mignon 150.00 kg

Just had a extended talk with Ron Botosan of Fresh Cutz. He's still in business, but he doesn't have a storefront anymore. People can order his Canadian Kobe beef over the phone(use the phone# that Hellcook just supplied).

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)