• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elaine's vs. Lantern in Chapel Hill

scottie

Hey folks. It's my birthday soon. I'm relatively new to the area and have not been either to Elaine's on Franklin or to Lantern. These are my top choices for a fancy birthday dinner.

I love Asian food, but I don't like the fact that Lantern does not take reservations for smaller parties. I want to go on Friday around 6- earlier the better. Does anyone think we'll have to wait a really long time? I hate waiting. Is the food worth a long wait?

So Elaine's is my second choice, but I don't know much about it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :cool:

So Elaine's is my second choice, but I don't know much about it.

Elaine's on Franklin website

Their menu looks extremely interesting! and their chef is equally appealing:

Elaine's opened in November of 1999 on West Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, home of the University of North Carolina. Since that time, we have been gratified by the response from around the country and also overseas to our regional American cuisine

Enjoy your meal and happy birthday, scottie! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You shouldn't have a problem getting into Lantern if you get there early. Go ahead and give it a try -- I think you'll love it. I ate there a couple of weeks ago, but failed to report back here. Let's see if I can recall what we ate. Pork and chive dumplings, bang-bang chicken, a calamari salad, some raw tuna dish, and another special that I can't recall. These apps were very tasty, complex, and well done.

The entrees were also excellent. I had a tea-smoked chicken with Lantern's own XO sauce. My wife had a fairly bland seafood sandpot dish. Our friends had a lemongrass barbecued pork tenderloin and a whole fish.

Desserts were very, very disappointing, but we may have ordered poorly. Go elsewhere for dessert if you don't want to take a chance.

I think you'll like Lantern a lot. And please report back here, unlike this slack ass!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

we also recently ate at the lantern--maybe 3 weeks ago. we had dinner on a saturday, immediately when it opened (so, probably 5:30-6). not my favorite dinner time, but we had a baby with us. there was already a line before it opened, and it was soon full. we had a good meal. this is probably dumb, but it was much more of a traditional Asian restaurant than I had anticipated. it was also smaller than i realized, though I think there is a back room bar. haven't been to elaine's for awhile, so its hard to compare

Heck, there's both quite good. Lantern is, pound for pound, one of the best restaurants in the Triangle. I think for the price you pay, it IS the best restaurant in the Triangle. The food is innovative, fresh, delicious, and the service has always been exceptional and cordial.

Elaine's operates on a different level, I think the food is pricier and the food is something different than Lantern's operating beliefs. The food mostly comes from the Carrboro Farmer's Market and the tables may be even fewer than Elaines.

My friend Sheri Castle claims that if the female bartenders are at Elaine's, you should ask for a basil mojito, which sounds devine.

Lantern too has outstanding drinks, using Pimms, Hibiscious infused vodka, and a number of other innovative tastings.

I would say for a birthday, for something truly special, to wind up at Elaine's as the meal will probably be more noteworthy. I say this selfishly, since I will probably be at Lantern on Friday and don't want to have anyone else waiting in line....

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think we will try Lantern, sorry wcmckinney! Maybe we'll see you there!

I'm sorry to hear about the desserts. I was thinking about driving out to Maple View for ice cream, anyway, if we get out early enough.

The basil mojito at Elaine's sounds really good. I'm sure we will wind up there sooner or later.

And don't worry, I will file a full report!