• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dominique's

mhberk

I remember going there in the '80s and used to be intrigued by the exotic dishes (snake salad, hippo meat, bear meat (when the Chicago Bears played the Redskins in '86), etc.). I still buy their soups at Giant, but don't recall hearing anything about the restaurant recently. Are they still around?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I remember going there in the '80s and used to be intrigued by the exotic dishes (snake salad, hippo meat, bear meat (when the Chicago Bears played the Redskins in '86), etc.). I still buy their soups at Giant, but don't recall hearing anything about the restaurant recently. Are they still around?

Dominique's re-opened briefly several years ago at 600 New Hampshire Ave. in the Watergate. Dominique passed away about 2 years ago and Diana sold the business. The restaurant is now called 600.

Mark

I remember that place from being very young. I was living in Europe with my parents and visits there on home leave reminded me of old-school french restaurants in France. Ostrich anyone?

DonRocks, I had a dream about you last night. I have never met you but in my dream you have a beard and wore a big hat....

Edited by DCMark (log)

Dominique's will always have a special place in my heart.

I had my first fine dining experience there at the age of 5. All I remember was a having a huge steak and an extra helping of what I assume were pomme frites.

Diana was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. My father was a regular there in the '80's so we were treated like princesses. I fell in love with the French, their food and language when Dominique came to the table.

A few years later I had the Friday-night-before-my-Bat Mitzvah dinner there. I never felt so grown up or elegant.

I am too young to feel this old when talking about Dominiques.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Dominique's will always have a special place in my heart.

I had my first fine dining experience there at the age of 5. All I remember was a having a huge steak and an extra helping of what I assume were pomme frites.

I have special memories of that place as well. I remember sitting next to my grandmother when I was 12 or 13. I remember after cutting into her steak, she leaned towards me and said "now this is how food should be done!"

This was all before culinary school and my love for food, but I will always remember the consistency and presentation of her plate as she said that to me.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.