• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good cheap lunch in Dupont Circle?

Childe Harold has take out -- suggest you phone your order in to avoid the wait.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Right along the same corridor (well not in an alley, but close...) is Moby Dicks House of Kebab. I think it may actually be N Street between 18th and 19th.

That's a good cheap lunch.

Edited by morela (log)

There are homemade, inexpensive tamales and pupusas sold at the spanish market on 17th Street near R Street near Dupont Circle.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Right along the same corridor (well not in an alley, but close...) is Moby Dicks House of Kabab. I think it may actually be N Street between 18th and 19th.

i hope you are a chick, because they get treated much better at moby dick than men do.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Right along the same corridor (well not in an alley, but close...) is Moby Dicks House of Kabab.  I think it may actually be N Street between 18th and 19th.

i hope you are a chick, because they get treated much better at moby dick than men do.

I am a man, but I have super nice umbrella from Burberry's and pretty eyes.

Teasim has a nice selection of dishes you can't find anywhere else around there. And the ever popular BdC. Do they do carryout?

Of course, soon you'll be able to have Krispy Kremes for lunch :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Baja Fresh is not too far away, but you're better off with the Well-Dressed Burrito. (Call ahead for quick in-and-out.)

You could probably make it to Ben's Chili Bowl, the P Street Whole Paycheck, the Safeway on 17th easily from there. If Bistro du Coin serves lunch they're a natural choice. I like the lunch at Firefly too.

the venerable seafood "shack" (by which i mean a tableclothed restaurant in a drab grey concrete building holding none other than second story books) johnny's half shell at 20th and p does phenomenal po'boys and hotdogs in addition to other scrumptious plates. lunch is quite easy on the wallet if you choose not to get crab cakes (who will land with such vicious force on your wallet that twenty dollars will be obliterated in the blink of an eye).

oh yes and they do take-away.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Or a little bit further down 19th (but WELL worth the walk) is the Greek Deli between M and L, next to Nooshi (nee Oodles Noodles). Just look for the line stretching to the street. Take out only with limited seating outside if it's nice.

Also try CF Folks (they also run Well Dressed Burrito) right next to the Palm on 19th. Very good (for D.C.) deli sandwiches and daily specials which they also list on their website. I've never gone wrong there.

On the otherside of Dupont on Connecticut is the new Heritage Indian just reviewed by Sietsema this past weekend.

If you want to stray down to M Street between 18th and 19th there's a good Indian/Persian/kebob store front called House of Kebob, the all you can eat lunch buffet, eat in and take out, is $6.95.

And next door to House of Kebob is Malasyia Koptium.

You could easily stroll over to 18th Street where it crosses T and eat at the dreaded Lauriol Plaza or Straits of Malaysia or any of the restaurants down that strip. For my money, though, I'd go to Caravan Grill, get a takeout container and fill it with pomegranate chicken and lamb shanks from the buffet.

You have to love a place that (inexplicably) keeps a basket brimming with fruit stripe gum, apparantly part of the buffet, right next to the olives and pickles.

If you want to stray down to M Street between 18th and 19th there's a good Indian/Persian/kebob store front called House of Kebob, the all you can eat lunch buffet, eat in and take out, is $6.95.

Wait. So that's not Moby Dick's (House...)?

This is going on ancient standards, but I'm gonna say Zorba's, for Greek.

EDIT: You've been to Zorba's. Sorry.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

This is going on ancient standards, but I'm gonna say Zorba's, for Greek.

EDIT: You've been to Zorba's. Sorry.

Jason, that was still a pretty good effort for only your second post.

Oh, wait a minute ... that's your member number. :rolleyes:

Do try Teaism - they're reasonably fast, and unless you get the salted oat cookie, you won't spend the afternoon feeling like a bloat-o.

Does Afterwords, the restaurant in Kramerbooks, do take out? Their lunch menu doesn't look bad:

http://www.kramers.com/www/lunch.htm

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

working at R and Conn as well, I know that most of those options, especially ones below the circle are a little out of reach for the normal lunch break (unless you take a solid hour or more). I like the chicken caesar wrap at wrapworks a lot. Besides that, lots of quiznos which is right there and subway across the street. , Raku is fairly inexpensive and good as well. There is some sandwich place right on P that is a complete ripoff of Potbelly that is very cheap and pretty good as well....right next to the burger king

QUOTE (Tweaked @ Jun 14 2004, 11:19 AM)

Wait. So that's not Moby Dick's (House...)?

Moby Dick's is a couple blocks to the north between 19th and Conn Ave, same block as CPK (geez, O st.? You'd think I'd remember this stuff as I walk by EVERY day :wacko: ). I'd take Moby Dick's over House of Kabob anyday, but not if I was in any sort of hurry. They are sssllloooowwwww there, and often a bit surly.

Sette serves before midnight. Right?

One of the reasons why it's such a welcome addition to the DC dining scene:

Sette Osteria, 1666 Conn. Ave.; tel., 483-3070. Hours:, Mon.-Thu. 11:30am-2am; Fri. & Sat. to 3am; Sun., 11:30am-12mid. Major credit cards.

Though savvy members of eGullet pretty much know this, Sette is best used for pizza and wine, and nothing more ambitious than that. They do both these things well, extremely well, and I cherish Sette as a top-three-in-DC pizza destination along with Two Amy's and Ella's, but many of the other dishes range from ordinary to just plain awful, though you may find the occasional success. Their extensive listing of Italian wines by region is brilliant and important to small people like me who care about the details of such things.

Cheers (late night cheers),

Rocks.

City Lights has take-out, and I think Uni on P (to the west of the circle) has lunch boxes if you're cost-conscious, you can get most of the bento items from Teaism a la carte.

would also second the notion of hoofing it down to the Greek Deli--enough food for two, three meals and the moussaka is moussavahalas. so's the yogurt.