• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stages

Florida Jim

1997 Trimbach, Riesling Cuvee Fredric Emile (375):

Softer than I expected; a smooth texture (though not in the least flabby) with broad, somewhat tropical flavors, good delineation and excellent balance. Showing well, if less intense than expected. Imported by Seagrams Chateau.

This wine in this format lends itself perfectly to starter courses.

1989 Lynch Bages:

A complex nose shows some mature elements; becomes more vegetal with air yet never loses that aromatic complexity; full bodied with relatively plush tannins, good balance, excellent complexity and plenty of flesh; less vegetal in the mouth, concentrated, layered and long. Imported by Kobrand.

In its youth, this was a dramatic, fruit-intense wine that was so well balanced there was no mistaking its breed. It has aged in stages; this one seems to be slightly more vegetal than some but it also reveals a bit of the depth that comes to maturing Bordeaux.

For myself, I will wait several more years for the next bottle as I expect the vegetal elements to recede. Clearly, the wine has many years ahead of it and, I suspect, several more incarnations. What a joy to be able to follow them.

1999 Bizot, Echezeaux (375):

Completely closed; it’s thin, acidic, vinous and opens very little with air. Had I not tasted this at release and found it deeply flavored and complex, I would dismiss it today if tasted blind. Do not open.

Imported by Old Vine Imports.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

• 7 months later...
1989 Lynch Bages:

For myself, I will wait several more years for the next bottle as I expect the vegetal elements to recede. Clearly, the wine has many years ahead of it and, I suspect, several more incarnations. What a joy to be able to follow them

Drinking a 1/2 of 1989 Lynch Bages as I write this. Consistent with tasting notes over the last two years of the same bottle en demi. Minor sediment. Orange/brown around rim. Fairly advanced nose; pruney and yes, slightly vegetal notes (but not herbaceous) but still quite fresh. Vegetal character more pronounced in mouth with well integrated tannins. I find that the wine tastes a little "stemmy" if you know what I mean. Very little fruit left in mouth and while the acid-tannin structure of the wine is good I'm not sure I think it will improve significantly beyond this point. I'm bothered a little by the finish, finding it a bit dirty -- and the finish has gotten worse rather than better over time.

Chris

Edited by chrisnorth (log)

Chris,

Thanks for the report.

I am pleased that my experience showed more fruit and depth than what you describe. I feel fairly confident that my bottles' best days are ahead of them. If you have more, I do hope they show better.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com