• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

are there any Gay Lesbian Chef org. in NYC?

barawidan

It's kindof sad when we still have to define ourselves as gay or non-gay. For what's it's worth, I'm Southern Baptist. I only think you need to express an opinion when you're faced with a question -- as I was with my first cousin. First off, she asked the question. Then, I told her I always knew. When I told her that, she was relieved that I always knew. She point-blank faced with me with the verse in the bible, and I just said I can't answer for you. You only answer when you know, and God knows that I don't know. And, furtherfore, it's not for me to say about her relationship with God. That's up to her and him.

Seriously, although I stated it provocatively, I do think that if there's no actual glb-chefs organization in New York then all such chefs should feel free to use eGullet as a community center of sorts. We are highly inclusive.

And if there is such an organization, somebody please tell us about it -- but I have a feeling there isn't.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Did you have on "gay" pants, FG?

Decide for yourself.

Its not the pants that gives me pause, its the huge rubber gloves that implies deviancy and perversion.

What's deviancy and perversion got to do with being gay?

I almost got myself on Queer Eye, but I was told that I'm not enough of a fashion failure. Which is absurd. I wanted my apartment redecorated.

Seriously, although I stated it provocatively, I do think that if there's no actual glb-chefs organization in New York then all such chefs should feel free to use eGullet as a community center of sorts. We are highly inclusive.

I thought we were just a bunch of elitist New York Jews.

Although I've known -- and worked with -- chefs and cooks who are gay or lesbian, I'd be surprised if there is an official organization. But, then, the culture of restaurant kitchens is mostly so hetero-ly macho, I suppose there is a need (to allow people to be their full selves). There's certainly a need for one for women, hetero or not -- and that is Women Chefs and Restaurateurs. But in the 8 or so years I've been a member, I can't think of a single time when there was any official acknowledgment of the lesbian members with any specific event or newsletter article.

Although I've known -- and worked with -- chefs and cooks who are gay or lesbian, I'd be surprised if there is an official organization.

Why would one's sexual preferences be an issue over their culinary common interests?

Isn't there already enough compartmentalizing and specializing in this world? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Well, there might be, but I can see how non-hetero folks in the industry might feel the need to get together and let their hair down, so to speak, and bitch and chill. Even though people in kitchens will follow up what they say with, "Oh, you know I don't really mean it," when they make anti-glbt (or anti-woman or anti-anybody) statements, it hurts nonetheless. That's why I have so loved going to WCR conferences: we could focus on the important stuff (food, drink, and cooking), and talk about how lousy the paternalism is, and how much better we would run the world once we take over.

Even though people in kitchens will follow up what they say with, "Oh, you know I don't really mean it," when they make anti-glbt (or anti-woman or anti-anybody) statements, it hurts nonetheless.

I understand that it hurts, however, if one gets into a specialized group dedicated to only one facet of a lifestyle, doesn't that rather limit the exposure a more heterogeneous group might afford in learning (new chef/cook information)?

Why further limit one's outlook? :hmmm:

and no one can always avoid people who offer "anti-anything" discourse .... there is certainly no protection afforded anyone any longer ... just my opinion ... expanding rather than limiting is my life motto these days ... :biggrin:

Not just gays either. We welcome all reviled groups here on eGullet: Jews, blacks, Tony Bourdain, Mexicans, even French people. Bring us your hungry, or however it goes.

We even take PASTRY CHEFS. What else needs to be said?

Egad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I almost got myself on Queer Eye, but I was told that I'm not enough of a fashion failure. 

So sorry, but 'tis true!

I think you'd have to start walking around NYC in an old bathrobe to get on QE, Stone!! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I understand that it hurts, however, if one gets into a specialized group dedicated to only one facet of a lifestyle, doesn't that rather limit the exposure a more heterogeneous group might afford in learning (new chef/cook information)?

That assumes that a gay or lesbian chef/cook would join that specialized group only, to the exclusion of other groups. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case; rather, I'd guess it would tend to be in addition to other memberships.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

That assumes that a gay or lesbian chef/cook would join that specialized group only, to the exclusion of other groups.  I'm sure this wouldn't be the case; rather, I'd guess it would tend to be in addition to other memberships.

:

Of course, that should have been obvious to me initially ... my apologies ...

multiple memberships are even better than multiple orgasms ... :laugh:

It's kindof sad when we still have to define ourselves as gay or non-gay.  For what's it's worth, I'm Southern Baptist.  I only think you need to express an opinion when you're faced with a question -- as I was with my first cousin.  First off, she asked the question.  Then, I told her I always knew.  When I told her that, she was relieved that I always knew.  She point-blank faced with me with the verse in the bible, and I just said I can't answer for you.  You only answer when you know, and God knows that I don't know.  And, furtherfore, it's not for me to say about her relationship with God.  That's up to her and him.

Huh?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

That assumes that a gay or lesbian chef/cook would join that specialized group only, to the exclusion of other groups. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case; rather, I'd guess it would tend to be in addition to other memberships.

Jamie

What he said.

Just because all of us here have cut all other websites, friends, and interests out of our lives, and owe total allegiance to eG, doesn't mean that normal people limit themselves to only one affinity group. :wink:

Dear Fat Guy: I'm reminded of our discussion, a year or more ago, that came from your asking about "gay restaurants." Only I can't remember where the thread was where we had that discussion. I'd link, if I knew where it was.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Did you have on "gay" pants, FG?

Decide for yourself.

Its not the pants that gives me pause, its the huge rubber gloves that implies deviancy and perversion.

What's deviancy and perversion got to do with being gay?

Dunno. You're the one that made that association, not me.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And my tip for the day is: no matter what you think of his pants or his sexual orientation, always be nice to a sweaty guy holding two cleavers.

*sprays water through nose*

that's the funniest thing i've read all week.

i have a very similar photo of varmint at the pig pickin. i don't he was practising "safe cleaving" though as he wasn't wearing hand prophylactics.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Hey Peps,

Interesting points of views have been posted. As for a need for a GayLesBi and our allies’ organization, (from this point on I shall use gay to mean all of the following for succinctness) it’s important, because sexism and homophobia are issues that go ignored in kitchens that are male and heterosexually dominated. Personally speaking, I'm 25, gay, and have been working as a cook for the last year and I definitely see a need for a gay cook’s organization, to foster visibility, mentorship, leadership, and just support one another.

It eats away at me when I hear a fellow cook say a homophobic slur, and I fail to “represent”, for a better lack of a better term. Why I behave this way is another issue all together.

I'm really interested in hearing from other cooks, especially other gay cooks, about their experiences with combating homophobia in the workplace, but specifically in the professional kitchen. Also if anyone has any other resources they could provide about gay culinary issues that would be awesome.

-B

Dear Fat Guy: I'm reminded of our discussion, a year or more ago, that came from your asking about "gay restaurants." Only I can't remember where the thread was where we had that discussion. I'd link, if I knew where it was.

Here's the thread on "Gay Restaurants." It wasn't that easy to find, and I figured out why: I was using the eGullet search feature, and "gay," being a 3-letter word, can't be used in quotes in a phrase (that produces no results at all), so the best I could do was search the "General Food Topics" board for "restaurant*" and look through the 7 pages of results until I found the right topic.

That was an excellent thread, too!

Michael aka "Pan"

It eats away at me when I hear a fellow cook say a homophobic slur, and I fail to “represent”, for a better lack of a better term.

I've experienced this as a waiter (albeit many many years ago.) It's much easier to speak up in a restaurant when you are a customer, which I've had to do on a few occasions. When you are an employee, it's difficult or impossible to say anything in the face of a nonsupportive work environment.

If there isn't an organization extant in NYC, there oughta be--though I'm thinking that Soba's original suggestion might be good. There must be at least some resources dealing with workplace homophobia as a general topic.

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

If everyone who has spent time in a professional kitchen stops and thinks what it would be like to be gay and work in a kitchen, I think they could understand the need for a gltb chef's group. I can't count the times I heard anti-gay slurs in a kitchen. And, despite gay rights ordinances becoming more prevalent, fag-bashing is still allowed to go unchecked in our kitchens.

My suggestion: Is it possible for a forum to be created on eG for discussion by/of glbt chefs? I think it would be a "Good Thing".

I also think this is something for Nations Restaurant Association members to bring up as a suggestion for diversity workshops at the annual convention.

And my two cents: I would never have thought ANYONE wearing fish pants was a gay man. Maybe a lesbian, but definitely not a gay man.

We're here; We're queer; Have some kishke.

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

This organization

OutProfessionals.org

meets at the Community center on 13th Street that Soba70 referred to. I'm familiar with them because a friend suggested their directory as a possible source for leads when I was doing sales in NYC and needed new contacts. It's likely that they already have some restaurant professionals in their membership and as a non-profit that is already structured to deal with job/career issues in the LGBT community, it might be a great place to look for other people who'd have in interest in establishing such an organization.