• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloomsday 2004: WWJD?

indy

Pardon my irascibility on the subject, but I used to work in Dublin around the corner from Davy Byrne's Pub.

And welcome to eGullet.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

"Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liver slices fried with breadcrumbs, fried hencod's roe. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of scented urine."

Oh that's right. I was thinking liver sausages or something...got the shape and gross smell right, anyway :smile: Maybe I am due for a re-read...

Edited by Behemoth (log)

• 2 years later...
I'll be at the old irish brogue in great falls for bloomsday.  good food, good company, good times.

I second this motion.

That place is great!

I could never do it, though, I'd die driving home on those dark winding roads...

it's not like there's Metro out there.

Good news:

I don't have a car nor do I drink and drive

I'm Irish, so I can just talk to myself and run around a field or something...

*edited a tiny bit!

Anyhow me and my clan of friends/family etc... went to the Old Irish Brogue in Great Falls on Georgetown Road on Friday night, our overly sweet/enthusiastic waitress Martha helped us through a tiring evening.

We all shared or ordered the salmon w/caper appetizer, the "typical dip" of artichoke and crab some chili and some chicken gumbo it came with some delicious brown bread but not enough so I asked for another bit... we got 3 more slices. (I think I should have asked for a LOAF more - lol-)

There were 6 adults 1 very well behaved child and an infant who got fidgety and tired after about 20 minutes (we think she was getting a cold.) so we made up a diverse group of eaters.

I ordered the Lobster Thermador and though I hadn't ordered lobster in a restaurant venue in over 20+ years I thought I'd take a chance. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised it was quite tasty!

Hubby go the sausage special w/mash of course... he wasn't thrilled but he said he'd order it again - I mean sausage is sausage right?

My friends mom ordered the salad w/salmon and loved everything except the cheese (she doesn't like cheese on her salad she feels they don't go together)

my friend and her husband swapped dishes each not liking what they ordered - their plates were cleaned when they were done. He ordered the home made pot pie type thing with meat and other savory stuff... I have no idea what she ordered but it was on the far end of the table and gone.

The father ordered a nice steak medium rare (I think it was a bit too "tough" in the middle for him so his wife munched at the last few bites and left a small piece about 3 bites worth) it came a bit late because the computer button didn't push well Martha the waitress said. All in all it was pretty good and we will be returning.

Right now the snow is coming down like crazy so I have to go shop for something to eat TODAY fast!

They do have a website just type in the keywords old irish brogue great falls and I'm sure you'll find it.

Have a great 2007. :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.