• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That Russian thing to make tea

tommy

Well... samovars don't make tea as such... they keep water hot. Generally a little pot of very concentrated tea sits on top of the samovar and you splash a little of it into your cup and top up with the hot water from the spiggot on the samovar.

A bit of etymological trivia: samovar comes from the russian words for self (sam) and boil (varit')...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

excellent. thanks folks.

i don't care much about them but a friend of mine is selling hers and wants to know what the going rate might be, so spelling it was the first step.

or maybe i should buy it if it's cool? hmmm.

Gads, I've been coveting them on eBay for years, but keep seeing too many variations in them; need the coals/don't need the coals, with trays/without trays, with teapots/without teapots....

But I still want one, just 'cuz they are so darned pretty!

Gads, I've been coveting them on eBay for years, but keep seeing too many variations in them; need the coals/don't need the coals, with trays/without trays, with teapots/without teapots....

indeed. the prices range from 1 dollar to thousands. perhaps i need some more specifics on this particular samovar. :blink:

indeed. the prices range from 1 dollar to thousands. perhaps i need some more specifics on this particular samovar. :blink:

I know -- a quick search right now shows some as cheap as $1.00 (but you pay a lot of shipping charges from the Middle East) to a cool, antique one that has 23 bids and is already over $1,500.

There are the ones with the plugs.... (ugh!)

I just recently purchased this lovely seriograph for an empty stairwell in my house:

60.jpg

I still have to have it framed, but I just loved it the moment I saw it.

Samovars are VERY cool. Someday I hope to have a nice silver one for parties.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A samovar might be an interesting contraption, but as we all know, to make good tea you need a warmed teapot and freshly boiled water. (and some tea)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

My parents have a large samovar that my grandfather brought over from Russia. They turned it into a lamp, but supposedly it can easily be returned into a working samovar. For some reason, it's on the list of things I get when they kick. With my luck, they'll probably dawdle on for years and no one will be drinking tea when I finally get it.