• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1/2 priced restaurant gift certificates

Yee haw! We bought 'em anyway. :)

I just talked to Katie, Promotion Director of KIRO 710AM, who confirmed that KIRO was standing behind this offer, and it was fully legitimate.

She told me that you receive an actual Gift Certificate just as if you had walked into the restaurant and purchased one. Therefore, there are NO restrictions of any kind -- it is treated like cash.

She said that some of the restaurants were also printing the KIRO logo on it, merely for tracking reasons.

It costs $28.50 after "handling" charges, but ordering online was extremely easy.

We bought one for Brasserie Margaux, and also for Axis (the site said they have a $19.95 3-course meal daily 5p-7p, and we haven't eaten there yet.)

Wish us luck! :biggrin:

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

I bought one for Troiani. Couldn't resist.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I bought one for Troiani.  Couldn't resist.

Me neither. Hope you enjoy it.

A friend just received a $25 gift certificate from them for her birthday. She didn't even remember signing up for their mailing list.

Just opened my g.c. to Brasserie Margaux, and was very disappointed to see that there do, in fact, appear to be restrictions. :angry: It reads "Tax included, does not include alcoholic beverages or gratuity." Sure makes it sound like it can't be used to purchase drinks with a meal, or for one of their wine dinners.

Given the earlier statements from the KIRO Promotion Director, this seems misleading, not to mention a real bummer.

Kati Daniels, the Promotion Director at KIRO, informs me that Washington State Law dictates that liquor cannot be purchased with a gift certificate.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Interesting... The tax thing is suprising, but perhaps that is another standard gift certificate thing.

I got mine yesterday too. The packaging was sort of strange. It was a large envelope with the paper certificate, but it also had a couple styrafoam spacers inside too for some reason.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Kati Daniels, the Promotion Director at KIRO, informs me that Washington State Law dictates that liquor cannot be purchased with a gift certificate.

Thanks, MsRamsey - this law is good to know about. I got another g.c. to a different restaurant through this promotion, and it makes no mention of the "no liquor" restriction. I'll be curious to see if they enforce it!

Ms. Ramsy, thanks for the clarification on the restrictions!

When I asked Kati at KIRO if there were any restrictions at all (such as not good on weekends, or must be accompanied by a full-paying customer, etc.) I distinctly remember her saying "they treat it just as if you had walked into the restaurant and bought a gift certificate, there are no restrictions."

At that point, I think that I was the one that said "So, they treat it just like cash, then?" to which she responded "Yes."

Technically, treating it "like cash" is not a direct quote from her, but, after asking her 4 times in different ways during the call if there were any restrictions, I think she should have mentioned the state law piece about wine. :wacko:

I didn't know anything about that until you just told me.

I'm glad you caught that!

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Thanks, MsRamsey - this law is good to know about. I got another g.c. to a different restaurant through this promotion, and it makes no mention of the "no liquor" restriction. I'll be curious to see if they enforce it!

I don't really doubt that we have such a law given our silly liquor rules in this state, but I'd still like some confirmation that this law actually exists. I haven't been able to find any so far.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

My Troiani certificate lists no restrictions.

I've used gift certificates at other restaurants for liquor without any problem.

When Cutters sent out free $20 gift cards last year, I expected to pay for my drink - but they applied it to the entire bill.

I believe that the law specifically prohibits distributing alcohol for free whether or not using a gift certificate qualifies as such depends on interepretation. I would also guess that many restaurants want you to buy alcohol in addition so they can recoup some of their revenues from the gift cert.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I believe that the law specifically prohibits distributing alcohol for free

Yes, that is pretty much the case - the WSLCB says that retailers need to sell beer, wine & spirits for above the cost they pay for it, and that free alcohol cannot be used in promotions or advertising (I believe the most relevant legal code and the cases where it does not apply are in WAC 314-11-085). When people pay for a gift certificate for the same amount they can use that certificate to buy spirits as it is treated same as cash, however, when we donate gift certificates or give out ones that are good for things like 'Dinner for Two' then it is not the same as cash and spirits can not be purchased with them, if that makes any sense :smile:

I believe that the law specifically prohibits distributing alcohol for free

when we donate gift certificates or give out ones that are good for things like 'Dinner for Two' then it is not the same as cash and spirits can not be purchased with them, if that makes any sense :smile:

That's not the case here, though, is it? Thanks, PeoplesPub, for the good, solid info.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Well, this sounds mighty nice !

I haven't seen any $100 gift certificates available. Do they sell out first?

We're going to Ristorante Pellini (I'm a sucker for Italian food with a view) El Gaucho and Brasserie Margaux. Fun, Fun, Fun !

OK, I think I've figured out the problem with this....correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems you can only purchase one $50.00 gift certificate. I tried buying a second one (knowing that we tend to over-indulge) and I couldn't. "Your credit card was declined due to duplicate order". I even tried using my husbands name/different credit card...same problem.

Has anyone else run into this? THANKS

Problem solved. Used a different email address to buy additional gift certificates...

I will be interested to hear if the restaurants will accept multiple certificates at the same meal....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946