• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Pot Donuts...

Since I do not live near Top Pot...I am making a special trip sometime next week to get a load of them for my freezer. So tell me which ones you love and why because I want to try different ones.

I got one when I was at pike place the last time I was there...it was from a store that was carrying them. I asked if they had Top Pot donuts and they pointed to them. There was only a few left..and the price was a whopping $1.50 a donut.

Surely it can't be that much at the store.

I had a cake one with coconut on top. It was lovely.

Has anyone ever been to or had donuts from the donut plant in NYC? If so..how does Top Pot compare?

I do love great donuts...and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

I don't really like doughnuts, but I enjoyed the cinammon one - I think it was raised, not cake.

My local affiliate charges $1.00. I think that is the store price as well.

It's hard for me to imagine thawed frozen doughnuts are worth it. My coworker who loves doughnuts doesn't even like these from other locations - she says they are only good still warm. She's a maple bar eater. Since they are frosted, I have to wonder if they are actually served warm anyway.

I have frozen donuts before and if they are fresh and properly wrapped they really do keep rather well. All they need after the thaw is done...is a gentle few minutes in the oven..it will bring them back. the oven has to be just slighty warm.

So yes...I have expirmented and it does work well. I have had to figure something out because I have not always lived near good donuts.

I was slightly disappointed on my last visit to see that prices have gone up quite a bit (99 cents for plain/sugared, $1.19 for glazed, $1.29 for filled, I think, and I think a mixed dozen was $11.90). I don't really mind paying that much for these good doughnuts, it's just that I remember when they were 69 or 79 cents each, not long ago, and now if I have a dollar bill it's not enough to buy a Top Pot doughnut.

My favorite is the cinnamon-sugar cruller. I like the crustiness of the cruller. Raspberry glazed is good too. I have only once purchased a TP doughnut from a non-TP location and it was not very fresh-tasting (at 7 am!), so you should definitely go directly to the source.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I haven't had do n uts from the Donut Plant in NYC but IMHO there's no way they could compare to Top Pot. I tried them a while back on a Seattle visit and wished I could have tried more varieties. I think one was a maple cruller and the other a conventional fried cake - both were phenomenal. I think many donuts would lose their best qualities when frozen and thawed - perhaps someone with first hand experience can comment?

The only donuts I've ever had that have exceeded Top Pot's quality are the ones at my local Farmer's Market - they're served just after frying and come in only two varieties - plain or rolled in cinnamon sugar.

i4376.jpg

The only donuts I've ever had that have exceeded Top Pot's quality are the ones at my local Farmer's Market - they're served just after frying and come in only two varieties - plain or rolled in cinnamon sugar.

Ah, another stop for you this trip. There is a little donut stand in the Market (Pike Place, that is.) They serve fresh fried mini donuts, plain, rolled in sugar, or powdered sugar. That's it. Between the flying fish stand (or the brass piggy bank, Rachel, and the big newstand. Hot and cheap. Tell us how they compare!

Edited by tsquare (log)

I HAD THEM ! I discoved that little stand the last time I was in pike place market.

They were so good I bought 2 dozen and froze what was left when I got home. YUM!

But... I have to say I like Top Pot better. I don't know why I just did. I still have one left in the freezer...a chocolate coated cake one. I may have it tomorrow for breakfast.

And Phaelon56...thanks for your comment about the donut plant. I have been wondering about them. Glad to hear for once I am living closer to something that is actually better then you can get in NYC.

The proctor farmers market in Tacoma also has a girl tht makes fresh donuts but still the flavor is not as good as Top Pot. What do they do to make the donuts so good? The plain donut just has more flavor.

Raspberry bismarck. Mmmmmm. Lemon is a close second.

I wouldn't think they would freeze well. . . one of the things that makes TP's donuts so very very excellent (imo) is that slight crunch of the outside crust (that would be the, um, fried part)--which I would think would not make it successfully through freezing and thawing.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

i've gotta say, i'm not a fan of the donuts at top pot. imo, they are too greasy and awfully dense. that said, i absolutely love the look and feel of both locations. plus, the downtown store has got a fabulous neon sign.

a fresh, hot glazed donut from krispy kreme is still my #1 choice when indulging in donuts. and, now that there's a location in SODO, it isn't such a hassle to get one.

lemony

this morning I defrosted that cake donut I had in the freezer and it was fabulous. Top Pot's donuts are wonders. They really do freeeze and thaw well and that chocolate topped cake one had been in there for 3 weeks.

So... I am looking forward to my trip up to the main store to get a load of them to take back.

If anyone has anymore favorites I can add to my list please let me know. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks again