• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dad on Atkins,

NeroW

Eating with your eyes is totally overated.  Who cares what food looks like?

Heart monitor here showing a flat line .... :huh: call 911 ... medic!! who cares??

Why do you suppose that so much of fine dining has to do with presentation??? Hard to imagine a chef who doesn't see the value in "eating with one's eyes" ... then there are the food photographers ... a whole bunch of folks out of work on your theory ... :hmmm:

and, in a related way, why bother to do anything with panache and creativity? It all just winds up in the toilet anyway .... :laugh:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hard to imagine a chef who doesn't see the value in "eating with one's eyes"

Gifted Gourmet, how do you do? *extending hand*

My name is Scott. I am a chef who doesn't see the value in "eating with one's eyes".

The tastebuds are the sole recipients of my artistic endeavors. If the food happens to look good, great, but it's not what I strive for.

Intricate food presentation is for the idle rich. I am a peasant and my clientelle are peasants. Rustic to the core.

One of the cool things I've learned while low-carbing is how varried and terrific the world of vegetables is. Stuff I make a lot:

Pureed cauliflower (as with everybody else -- but hey, it's delicious)

The ultra-delicious tomato-and-zucchini "hash" from one of the Union Square Cafe cookbooks -- PM if you want the recipe

Guacamole

Creamed spinach -- a natch with steak. A little truffle oil puts it over the top.

Perhaps my very favorite, basically a tweaked version of a Nigel Slater recipe, and about as rich as it gets: Creamed cabbage with bacon and balsamic vinegar. Chop some good bacon into little lardons, render out some of the fat, and use it to saute some cabbage (cut into ribbons) until wilted (keep the bacon in the pan while sauteing). Pour in a slug of cream, reduce it down, remove from the heat, and dribble in a bit of balsamic. It's pretty f*ing divine.

Plum tomatoes, seeded and halved, with a dollop of goat cheese (mixed with fresh thyme) in the hollow; broil, and sprinkle with some very good EVOO.

An old favorite, from an ancient Paula Peck recipe: eggplant cubes sauteed till lightly browned, and then lightly tossed with fresh pesto. Serious yum. Grilled sliced eggplant (maybe combined with some grilled sliced zucchini) is also great just dribbled with a good vinaigrette or -- to go Asian -- Thai-style peanut sauce.

SALAD. I love salad. Low-carbers often rely on either blue-cheese dressing or ranch, but I'm a vinaigrette girl.

Cucumber salad -- either Thai-style, with a little sugar-substitute (I use Whey Low, but Splenda is a lot easier to find and not terrible), some chiles, fish sauce, vinegar, and cilantro, or Eastern European-style, with dill, chives, vinegar, and sour cream. The sour-cream-and-dill treatment is also great with string beans; try throwing in some toasted walnuts just before serving.

Coleslaw! It's basically completely low-carb, so long as you use sugar-substitute. I would also slice the cabbage myself -- red and white is pretty -- since the supermarket mixes typically include carrots, which are fairly high in carbs. Mayo, sour cream, cider vinegar, horseradish, brown mustard, black pepper, a little sugar-sub -- let it sit overnight and you're in business.

In a similar vein, I have read a lot about -- but never made -- faux potato salad, using cauliflower. Word is, it's very good; PM if you want a recipe.

At this time of year, you can't go wrong with sliced tomatoes with a nice dressing. To dress up a platter, I would add some roasted-and-peeled red peppers and some black olives. Actually, I would probably throw on some grilled sliced eggplant and zukes, as above.

Edited to say, there are some fabulous things you can do with both mushrooms (stuffed and broiled? sauteed? roasted?) and spaghetti squash (with pretty much anything you would put on spaghetti; butter, black pepper, and a sprinkle of parm is pretty darn fabulous).

More ideas if you want'em.

Edited by mags (log)

Cheesecake is a swell LC dessert. Easier might be just a bowl of berries (surprisingly low-carb, particularly raspberries) with a bowl of whipped cream, maybe sweetened with Splenda. If you've already done something creamy in the menu and don't want to go there for dessert, almond-flour "pound cake" is really good, and a little raspberry puree makes it very pretty and delish. Going creamy again, I've also used the almond cake as a base for both strawberry shortcake and -- even better -- shortcake made with lightly stewed rhubarb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

NM--

Whoops, I missed your inquiry a few months ago. It went over great--so great, in fact, that I had to revisit this thread because they requested the same dinner again tomorrow.

That "fauxtatoes" dish is pretty damned good. So's the bourbon cheesecake, especially since I get to drink the rest of the bourbon.

Thanks again to all.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Well, we're here right now about to eat this menu, and the only difference is that this time there is Jim Beam in the cheesecake instead of Jack Daniels.

Noise is music. All else is food.