• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dad on Atkins,

NeroW

Next Sunday I am preparing Father's Day dinner for my dad.

He and his girlfriend are on Atkins. Sigh.

They have requested steak and shrimp. So there's the protein.

But what the hell else is there?

I will be at the farmer's market the day before . . . I want to do something beyond protein but everything I think of seems carb-laden.

They can have *some* carbs, but potatoes, corn, etc. are out.

Any suggestions?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Some of the go-to items I make while low-carbing are...

sauteed spinach (ok, I know you hate this one :wink:) or chard, kale, etc.

grilled asparagus (with hollandaise is actually ok too)

cabbage (braised, or in an Atkins-friendly slaw)

salad (just leave out the tomatoes and carrots)

cauliflower (roasted, steamed or gratin)

broccoli (roasted, steamed or gratin)

green beans

Lots of choices beyond those too. And you can always check out this site if you want know the nutritional information of a given item...

USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I had a similar problem when I was Atkinsing .. and relied upon sites like

this one

or possibly this one

or even this .... my favorite!

There are literally millions of cool, low carb sides from which you may wish to choose, and then you know about a low carb, or even no carb, cheesecake for a spectacular finale!! Hope it goes well and that you have a superb Father's Day ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Pumpkin can be mashed and seasoned for something remarkably similar to mashed sweet potato, which could go nicely with the steak.

Cauliflower pureed and cooked with cream, chopped bacon, and cheese, then topped with chive and a bit more cheese is also a great potato sub.

Kale just lightly spread out over a cookie sheet and then dusted with EVOO and parmesan and baked till crispy is texture and flavor rich.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Cauliflower pureed and cooked with cream, chopped bacon, and cheese, then topped with chive and a bit more cheese is also a great potato sub.

Nullo, this sounds right up my alley. Can you elaborate a bit on your procedure?

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone :smile:

When I make it I don't actually measure anything...

I boil a head of cauliflower until it is pretty much fully cooked, then toss it into a food processor and puree it with a decent glug or two of heavy cream, salt, and pepper. I then sautee some chopped up bacon and garlic in a pot with some EVOO, then add the cauliflower mixture back in and cook just long enough to let the flavors mix, while also adding some grated sharp cheddar cheese.

Serve with some extra bacon crumbles and cheese on top, which chives as well if you like them.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

This item is on the low carb menu page to accompany all of their entrees at Houlihan's .. new item .. actually, :rolleyes: not too bad ...

This item is on the low carb menu page to accompany all of their entrees at Houlihan's .. new item .. actually, :rolleyes: not too bad ...

Its an oldie but goodie in the low-carb community. A couple of the chains that feature low-carb menus even have it on them...

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Its an oldie but goodie in the low-carb community. A couple of the chains that feature low-carb menus even have it on them...

It's call fauxtatoes. The only ingredient you're missing is cream cheese. Without the cream cheese, you've got pureed cauliflower. With it, you got the closest thing to mashed potatoes imaginable.

Low carb recipe guru Dana Carpender has a phenomenal recipe:

http://atkinsbythebook.com/cgi-bin/cookboo...ategory=Veggies

oh, I also completely forgot the butter. Use lots and lots of butter. I've never used cream cheese, just lots of good heavy cream, and been very happy with the results. Maybe I will try cream cheese next time. Last couple times I've ended up with a head of cauliflower it has turned into aloo gobi mattar however.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Last couple times I've ended up with a head of cauliflower it has turned into aloo gobi mattar however.

Your cauliflower turned into Aloo Gobhi Mattar?

Was some sort of incantation involved? Was this transformation permanent?

Mine just sits in the vegetable bin and turns brown. If I could find a cauliflower that turns into aloo gobhi, I'd be buying a LOT of those :wink:

Hehe, unfortunately a good deal of effot on my part is required to catalyze that reaction.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Hehe, unfortunately a good deal of effot on my part is required to catalyze that reaction.

now I know what I'm having for supper tonight. NulloModo, do you have a recipe (or method)?

thanks!

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

What is a low-carb cheesecake? :huh:

Funny you should ask. Here is the recipe that I most recently used, and tourned out very well:

Low-carb bourbon Cheesecake

Filling:

2 Lbs Cream Cheese

2 or 3 eggs (2 for very dense, 3 for slightly fluffy)

4 Packets Sweet - N - Low

2 Packets Stevia

3 Packets Splenda

(using a blend of artificial sweeteners gives a syngergistic effect to each, and make the whole thing taste like real sugar instead of, well, fake sugar. These three are all heat-stable, Acuselfame-K can be subbed for Stevia if you can't find it in your area)

1/2 Stick of butter

Dash of salt

Tablespoon of Vanilla extract

1/2 Cup of Bourbon

Crust:

1 Cup Almonds

1 Cup Pecans

1/2 Cup Macadamias (or other fatty nut)

1 Stick butter

dash of salt

For crust:

Process the nuts with the butter until nuts are ground and mixture is pliable. Shape into a pie-crust tin and bake at 350 for a little under 20 minutes, just long enough to set. Remove from oven and let cool, let oven remain hot.

Filling:

Throw in everything but the eggs into a food processor and process till creamy and well mixed, then add the eggs one at a time and mix just long enough to incorporate them into the mixture.

Combination:

When crust is done, pour in the filling and bake at 350 for around an hour, or until done. Take out, let cool for a bit on the counter, then into the fridge over-night.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

now I know what I'm having for supper tonight. NulloModo, do you have a recipe (or method)?

thanks!

Fi

Nothing that I use every time.

I do a google search, look for a recipe that looks interesting, and jump into it based on what I have in the pantry ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Another cauliflower dish that's a good potato substitute (this time, for roasted potatoes):

Take a head of cauliflower and chop it into florets. Melt a couple of tablespoons of duck fat. Toss with the cauliflower, and salt and pepper. Throw it in a roasting pan in a 500 degree oven for 14 minutes. Enjoy.

You can also throw some herbs in this for variation, but try the basic recipe at least once.

--- Lee

Seattle

LOS--

Unfortunately I just ran through the last of my duck fat, making some decidedly non-Atkins-friendly potatoes (my boyfriend calls them alternately the "Fuck Atkins" potatoes or the "5,000 Calorie" potatoes).

I will be making the cauliflower puree as suggested by Nullo, also the Bourbon "Cheesecake." Nullo: no water bath? No springform? :unsure:

also the Bourbon "Cheesecake."  Nullo: no water bath?  No springform?   :unsure:

the low carb cheesecake I have made with success

and, yes, to using a springform .... but no waterbath necessary ... :biggrin:

however this cheesecake uses both springform and water bath

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

I don't even know what a springform is.

I am most decidedly not a professional, I have simply taught myself how to cook these things because a). when I started this diet there was nothing out there in restaurants or pre-packaged that catered towards those eating low-carb, and b). now that there is, a lot of it tastes bad and is bad for you anyway.

I make mine just as I described and with a $1.50 disposable aluminum pie tin from the grocery store (not really springy). I will say that it is lots better on the 2nd day than on the first, the flavors solidfy more or something, and that it does tend to brown on top a bit. It isn't super pretty, but at least IMO it is very very tasty. Of course, maybe the springform and waterbath alleviate the brown top and occasional cracks issues, if so, let me know ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I don't even know what a springform is. 

Voila, the springform pan!

I use it because it has a larger capacity for the volume of the cheesecake ingredients, and because by using the spring, one can get neatly formed, straight sides on the finished cake ... :biggrin:

ooooh, so the pan expands and contracts on the side? This aides in lifting the finished product I assume? For presentation purposes, I can definately see that being and advantage ;).

Of course, I give approximately five seconds worth of thought to presentation when I am cooking for myself and friends, and those five seconds are usually to think 'Doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it tastes good.'. For a special occasion dinner though one of those would be nifty to have around... EGullet keeps encouraging me to buy cooking supplies I didn't know I needed.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

For a special occasion dinner though one of those would be nifty to have around... EGullet keeps encouraging me to buy cooking supplies I didn't know I needed.

Don't wait even one second longer! This is the pinnacle of fine cheesecake presentation and your guests will never guess that it isn't the "real thing" with sugar, etc. :biggrin: Springform pans are indispensible for a baker!

Of course, I give approximately five seconds worth of thought to presentation when I am cooking for myself and friends, and those five seconds are usually to think 'Doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it tastes good.'

I'll echo that sentiment. Eating with your eyes is totally overated. Who cares what food looks like?