• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian in Baltimore?

bobby29

I've recently been turned on to Indian food thanks to a visit to Delhi Dhaba in Bethesda. The food was very good. So up here in B'more I know of Ambassador Dining Room, Banjara, Akbar, and India Rasoi, but I've never been. Any reccomendations would be great.

Edited by bobby29 (log)

The Ambassador is nice. The food is individually plated, unlike typical Indian joints and it is also a bit more expensive. But, the Sunday brunch is a bargain. Tons of food, champagne, orange juice. It will set you up nicely for the rest of the day. The dining room is pretty and in good weather they have outdoor seats in a garden like setting.

I like Akbar, but, in all honesty, I think I like it mostly for sentimental reasons. I don't think it is as good as it used to be but it is still worth a stop.

I haven't eaten at Banjara in many, many moons. No particular reason for that.

I've never eaten at India Rasoi but have heard good things. Supposed to be very, very cheap.

There's also Mughal Garden which is ok but kind of weird, at least to me. Mostly because it is located in the old Harvey House space. The Harvey House (does ANYONE else out there remember it?) was this crack up of a bar and restaurant that attracted every divorced senior in town. It was filled with white pleather booths and shag carpeting. The bar was quite the happening spot for the 60 plus crowd. My girlfriend and I were met there once prior to an evening of bar hopping and some excitable elderly gentleman grabbed her ass and he did it with gusto. We thought it signaled unlimited possibilities for the evening ahead. So, I still think of all of this when I'm enjoying my paneer.

• 3 years later...