• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi from Locanda della Tamerice in Ostellato

pia

Hello, Pia! Where are you? In Italy? Are you Italian?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yes, I'm Italian and I do live in Italy! And you?

Unfortunately, I'm neither Italian, nor do I live in Italy. I'm actually the typical American of polyglot ancestry, and I live in Austin, Texas.

But I've traveled to Italy many times, and hope to do so again in the future.

You're very welcome here at eGullet. I know we are all eagerly looking forward to your posts!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yes, I'm Italian and I do live in Italy! And you?

Unfortunately, I'm neither Italian, nor do I live in Italy. I'm actually the typical American of polyglot ancestry, and I live in Austin, Texas.

But I've traveled to Italy many times, and hope to do so again in the future.

You're very welcome here at eGullet. I know we are all eagerly looking forward to your posts!

Austin?! I've a good friend there. He's a chef and he's running a culinary Academy. The world is so small ...! :biggrin:

Which region of Italy are you from, Pia?

I was born in Liguria, Recco actually, a town quite famous for its Focaccia con il formaggio and for Trofie al pesto. I've been living in Milano, for many years, and now I'm located next to Ferrara, in Emilia Romagna, in a small village called Ostellato.

Trofie is a type of fresh pasta, hand-made with flower and water (no eggs or potatos). Usually they are made with white flower, but they are also popular with half chestnut flower in the mixture. To make them manually, as they should be, you need a long experience. They look like small and stiff worms.

They are cooked for few minutes (they are ready when they start floating) in salted water, where green beens and diced potatos have been cooking a bit longer.

They are always served with pesto sauce.

I think that Giovanni Rana or Buitoni sell vacuum-packed pasta, called troffie on the packaging, but it has nothing in common with the real one.

Even in Liguria it is quite difficult to buy hand-made trofie. Most pasta shops make them by special machine. I'll ask news to my mother, who's stiull living there!

Grazie Bill! People from Piemonte and Liguria are often considered cousins ... :smile:

Where do you live? How would you represent your place through a typical food or recipe?

We are particularly glad to have Pia join us. Pia and her husband/chef Igles Corelli have a restaurant called Locanda della Tamerice (Locanda means they also have rooms to rent) located in Ostellato (near Ferrara) in Emilia Romagna. (ph. 0533 680795). We hope Pia can join us often and that we can visit her often at their restaurant.

Pia could you tell us more about your menu?

We are particularly glad to have Pia join us. Pia and her husband/chef Igles Corelli have a restaurant called Locanda della Tamerice (Locanda means they also have rooms to rent) located in Ostellato (near Ferrara) in Emilia Romagna. (ph. 0533 680795). We hope Pia can join us often and that we can visit her often at their restaurant.

Pia could you tell us more about your menu?

Pia is probably too shy and modest about their restaurant to give out more info, so hoping she won't mind, I can add some background.

Igles Corelli is a very well known chef in Italy. He was the chef at the (now closed) restaurant Trigabolo, which in the 90s had two Michelin stars and was considered one the most exciting places to eat in Italy. The magazine Gambero Rosso has recently dedicated a a cover story to the Trigabolo. If you can read Italian, go to the Gambero Rosso website (www.gamberorosso.it) and follow the links to

mensile - archivio - febbraio 2004.

(By the way, both Pia and Igles frequently partecipate in Gambero Rosso's own forum where I sometimes lurk...)

I don't go back to Italy nearly as often as I would like to but la Locanda della Tamerice (www.tamerice.it) is on my "to do" list, especially now that I know that Pia "e' delle mie parti" since I am originally from Rapallo.

Benvenuta Pia.

Francesco

Thank you Francesco for your words, and thanks to Craig, too, for his introduction. I'll be here as often as I can (maybe with a pause for summer holidays with my children). I'll be back on the subject of our menu in the next days. Tonight it's late but I wish to say Hello to Francesco. I'm sorry that Igles can't read English (forget writing it!) But I can be his voice, if you wish, if you have questions.

Ciao Francesco! We have been looking at Monte di Portofino on opposite sides! :biggrin: Where are you living now? I'm leaving for Recco, my home town, tomorrow, for few days.I'm eager to smell the salty air and to fill my eyes with the silvery green of our hills ...

Pia

Thank you Francesco for your words, and thanks to Craig, too, for his introduction. I'll be here as often as I can (maybe with a pause for summer holidays with my children). I'll be back on the subject of our menu in the next days. Tonight it's late but I wish to say Hello to Francesco. I'm sorry that Igles can't read English (forget writing it!) But I can be his voice, if you wish, if you have questions.

Ciao Francesco! We have been looking at Monte di Portofino on opposite sides!  :biggrin:  Where are you living now? I'm leaving for Recco, my home town, tomorrow, for few days.I'm eager to smell the salty air and to fill my eyes with the silvery green of our hills ...

Pia

Well Pia,

we have been looking at the Monte di Portofino from opposite sides, but mine is better! (that's Italian campanilismo for you :wink: ).

All joking aside, I am sure that you will find that the forum will ask as many questions as you are willing to answer.

Welcome again.

Francesco

Ciao Francesco! We have been looking at Monte di Portofino on opposite sides!  :biggrin:  Where are you living now? I'm leaving for Recco, my home town, tomorrow, for few days.I'm eager to smell the salty air and to fill my eyes with the silvery green of our hills ...

Pia

Well Pia,

we have been looking at the Monte di Portofino from opposite sides, but mine is better! (that's Italian campanilismo for you :wink: ).

Francesco

Hello Pia!!

I hope to be able to get to know more about you and your glorious Liguria through these forums. Holidayed there only once, :sad: But...I ate some of the best food in Italy in that province!

BTW, I do so LOVE the word Chiappa. Naughty I know but hey.... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

How can you say that?!  :blink:

There is Punta Chiappa, on my side! And a fishermen restaurant that you can reach only by boat or walking for about 45 minutes  :wink:  (although it's quite some time that I'm missing!)

Ciao Pia!

Are you talking about restaurant Do Spadin?

I had many wonderful meals there with my family, during my childhood :smile:

Apparently there's plenty of Ligurians here...I'm just from Genova :cool:

BTW, I had one of the very best meals in my life at Trigabolo :biggrin: so I hope I'll enjoy again your husband's creations at Locanda della Tamerice...and I strongly recommend that place to everybody here! Igles Corelli is a genius...

Pongi

Edited by Pongi (log)

Hello Pia!!

I hope to be able to get to know more about you and your glorious Liguria through these forums. Holidayed there only once, :sad: But...I ate some of the best food in Italy in that province!

BTW, I do so LOVE the word Chiappa. Naughty I know but hey.... :wink:

The word Chiappa may be naughty and funny in Italian, but in this case it derives from Genovese dialect for rock, which is "ciappa". Although in summertime many "chiappe" are happily exposed to sunbath on the rocks by the sea!

I also think that the food in Liguria is great! It's simple and tasty, healthy, probably the most modern of all Italian traditional regional cuisines!

How can you say that?!  :blink:

There is Punta Chiappa, on my side! And a fishermen restaurant that you can reach only by boat or walking for about 45 minutes  :wink:  (although it's quite some time that I'm missing!)

Ciao Pia!

Are you talking about restaurant Do Spadin?

I had many wonderful meals there with my family, during my childhood :smile:

Apparently there's plenty of Ligurians here...I'm just from Genova :cool:

BTW, I had one of the very best meals in my life at Trigabolo :biggrin: so I hope I'll enjoy again your husband's creations at Locanda della Tamerice...and I strongly recommend that place to everybody here! Igles Corelli is a genius...

Pongi

You are right Pongi. I was mentioning DO SPADIN! Have you been there recently? How is it now?

It seems to me too that Liguria is well represented in this Forum!

We'll wait for you at< Tamerice, then!!! :smile: