• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Meat in/near Montclair

Recently moved here and am still looking for a place to buy decent quality meat without paying over-inflated prices. Tried the Italian market by Watchung Plaza on past visits to Montclair (but not recently) and found their meat to be average and overpriced (also, on those prior occasions they claimed it was prime beef when it seemed obvious to me that it wasn't). Both Whole Foods and Kings are priced very high, to the point where a few extra dollars and a little extra mileage could probably get you prime. The Costco nearby was substantially cheaper, but the meat was butchered very poorly (although still tasty). So, where do I go if I want to get thicker cut, well edited choice cuts of meat or the occasional prime cut? Anybody have any suggestions?

I'll try the pork store when I have a chance, and I need to take another look at Whole Foods, but from what I remember, their prices hover around $20/lb for the nicer cuts, all choice grade. Maybe my memory is wrong on this. Or maybe I need to get used to NJ prices.

whole foods definitely carries prime meat. 20/lb sounds like the right price for the prime stuff. either way, that's the going rate at most places, but if you find it cheaper, let us know. (some whole foods are carrying dry aged prime meat as well, which i haven't tried, but will soon).

that said, the farmers' market in Paterson has some really inexpensive meat (not sure if it's prime). it's not all that far from montclair if you're looking for bargains. info

Edited by tommy (log)

Hey thanks for the tip. I definitely need to re-evaluate the Whole Foods here and will look into the Paterson market next time I go exploring (it's only 6 miles away). Prime is obviously great, but what my wallet would be happier with on a regular-type basis is just decent quality choice cuts, cut 1 1/2" or more thick. I used to be able to get big meaty ribeye steaks like this for $10/pound. Sure they weren't as well marbled as prime is, but when cooked properly they still tasted great, and didn't break my bank.

Very, very hard to find good meat at decent prices around Montclair. I've been here for a little more than a year and I'm still looking. Whole Foods is insane: 20 bucks for a duck breast that I buy for 3, wholesale; about 20 to 25 bucks for just a regular ribeye???? These people don't like meat. As far as I'm concerned, the A & P on Valley Road has the best prices around: organic chicken and pork, cheap free range aussie beef and, sometimes, really good deals on lamb.

Hey thanks for the tip. I definitely need to re-evaluate the Whole Foods here and will look into the Paterson market next time I go exploring (it's only 6 miles away).

if you get to the Paterson market, it's worth your while to stop at Corrado's, which is 2 minutes away. they have a great cheese selection, and really good deals on produce. i do think the meats are reasonably priced as well, but i can't guarantee that. they also have a huge building for beer/wine making, which might be of interest. the attached liquor store, however, is completely useless, focusing on run-of-the-mill crap wines at high prices.

The quality of the food at Corrado's is below par. Cheap yes.........

I reather spend more and get better quality.

i don't doubt your experience, but i've not found that to be the case across the board. so much of their stuff is produced by other companies and packaged for them that i have a hard time seeing that possibilty. i've bought pasta and jarred peppers and produce and bulk ribs and pork butts there and have been very pleased. i wouldn't go there for anything that needs to top-shelf, but that's not the point of the place.

on a different note, stay away on the weekends as it's a zoo.

We have discussed Corrado's at length before, and I also feel that their produce is of a mediocre quality. The prices are usually quite low, but so is the quality. Occasionally there are exceptions. On a previous thread, this seemed to be the general consensus regarding Corrado's produce. Never tried their meats, and the small cold cuts/deli section in the back looks a little unsavory.

i can't personally vouch for it, but someone on this thread mentioned Vila Meats in Caldwell, a few miles west of you just off of Bloomfield Ave:

I've been exceptionally happy with Vila Meats in Caldwell, used them for several years. Pleased to provide custom cuts.

I've liked John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains. It's a bit of a hike from Montclair, but worth it for good steaks from time to time. They have dry-aged prime beef, among other things.

http://www.johnsmarket.com/index.html

I just had a wake-up call...

For father's day I treated my Dad, future Dad-in-law and myself to steaks from John's. It was my first experience. We were all in agreement that our steaks were some of the best we've ever eaten. The steak was perfectly aged and extremely tender (bone in Strip). At $19/lb John's blows Lobel's away (who's more like $40/lb). Additionally I enjoyed John's steak better than Lobel's (sorry Evan). I will go back very soon. John's is worth the drive from anwhere in Norh/Central Jersey.

edit: gramer

Edited by steakas (log)

:D