• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Southern Food and Beverage Museum

Mayhaw Man

The Southern Food and Beverage Museum will have it's grand opening today in New Orleans. The opening theme will center around drinks in New Orleans and is called "A Toast to New Orleans".

This exhibit will be located (temporarily) on the first floor of the New Orleans Centre at 1400 Poydras. If you can find the Superdome you can find the New Orleans Centre. Just look for the Dome and head next door going towards the River. You can't miss it.

The Press Releasegives a little better info. I am planning to go over tommorrow and see what's happening and I will let you know. I had to work today, unfortunately.

This is a great idea and I am really glad that that it's coming together. Eventually it will cover the South (you guys can argue about what that is-I probably have a different opinion :wink: ). Perhaps we can get someone from the Museum to get on here and tell us about it. I am about to give that a shot.

Anyway-I will keep you posted. This could be very cool.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 weeks later...

I have been talking to a couple of these folks about their plans. THey have a really good idea and seem to have some financing support (primarily uptown folks with an interest in food, from what I can tell). I hope that they find a permanent home as this would be a great addition to the city. We screwed up the Jazz museum and the R and B Museum :angry: , so maybe the third time is the charm.

I'll surely join! Are they related or will they be doing anything with the Southern Foodways Alliance? I joined that not too long ago.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Dave,

Are you thinking about going to the conference in Oxford in October? Several of us are going to be there. It looks like it will be pretty interesting.

I don't think that there is a direct relationship there, bt honestly I haven't thought to ask. I am emailing them now with that question

Yes I was wanting to go, But Im not sure yet. Because I also was planning a trip to Morimoto's in October.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys