• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need recomendation for Ironbound

Bobby B

it depends just how hungry you are and if your kids appreciate this kind of food.

If the kids are ravenous like wild animals craving meat, take them to Seabras's restaurant attached to the Meditteranean Manor catering hall for Brazilian style rodizio. Read as "unlimited supply of various roast meats carved off a huge spike for dirt cheap". Very kid friendly. If they dont want meat, they have seafood and other stuff.

255 Jefferson St  Newark, NJ (973) 465-1966  

My favorite Iberian is Casa Vasca. Not kid unfriendly, more of a traditional spanish restaurant. I've seen plenty of families there.

141 Elm St  Newark, NJ (973) 465-1350  

Rosie is also partial to Spanish Sangria on Magazine street. I think the food at Vasca is better but its also less fancier in terms of decor, more of a neighborhood kind of place.

157 Magazine St  Newark, NJ (973) 344-9286  

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

recommendation: if your knowledge of Newark is less than perfect, use Mapquest.  The streets there are a lot less straightforward than you'd think.

Jason didn't mention this, but Seabras/Med. Manor has valet parking.  Casa Vasca, I believe, also has a parking lot although I'm not sure if its Valet or not.

Seabras is so totally unpretentious, and yet of such high quality for such a great price, that I've considered it something of a secret... but Jason, who I first took there a few years back has let the cat out of the bag. :)  The only objection I've ever heard is that the food there is VERY salty.

(Edited by jhlurie at 5:28 pm on Oct. 4, 2001)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I didn't get a chance to read your postings before leaving but we did end up at Spanish Sangria on the Ironbound coaches reccomendation. We had a great time and they treated us like celebrities.... really nice staff and the food (and Sangria) was great. We were told that Casa Vasca had great food too but that it would be murder to find parking....there was plenty of parking at Spanish Sangria. Tony D's was also recommended. By the way. the Ironbound Little League ballpark is a gem. We had a great time.

Actually Casa Vasca has its own parking lot down the street from the restaurant, about a block away. But yes street parking in that area is scarce.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 5 years later...

spanish sangria is easy to get to if you come off of rt 21 and 78 and not Ferry street, it's the back way into it....and the shrimp in white wine sauce is the only thing I get there...it's outstanding...

Tony da caneca 72 elm road, again off the back end of Ferry is an excellent portugese/brazilian and less spanish...very good

limabean

Adega Grill has a parking lot 1/2 a block away (on Madison, iirc)--you come down Ferry St about 4 blocks from Penn Station, pass Adega on the left, and take the next right to come around, as Madison is one way, so you can't turn right off of Ferry. That's the same lot shared by Seabra's Marisqueira, which is a wonderful (and perhaps more 'authentic' Ironbound) spot as well! Casa Vasca is another personal favorite, and their lot is less than 1/2 a block away from the restaurant.

There are threads on each here on the NJ board...and/or there are a few others that are general. Search Ironbound and I'm sure they'll come up!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Casa de Vasca seems to get the nod from most people for Spanish but I prefer the Portuguese food and the slightly more casual atmosphere at

Seabra's Marisqueria

Feijoada De Mariscos À Marisqueria (Seafood W/ Beans: House Specialty) is suggested by some but I've really enjoyed all the food I've had there - especially the seafood. I humbly submit that they offer the best food in all of Ironbound.

It's just off Ferry Street on a little side street and you'll have to make your own arrangements for parking but it's worth the effort. By the way - Ironbound is a very tight knit community and unlike some other parts of Newark it's very safe to walk in both during the day and the evening. Your car will be perfectly safe parked on the street (if you can find a space - best bet is to look for a pay lot on Ferry Street and hoof it a few blocks).

By the way - Ironbound is a very tight knit community and unlike some other parts of Newark it's very safe to walk in both during the day and the evening. Your car will be perfectly safe parked on the street (if you can find a space - best bet is to look for a pay lot on Ferry Street and hoof it a few blocks).

I don't want to get too OT, but the reason I'm fixated on the car is I'll have kids and grandkids bicycles etc hanging off. I recall a fenced car park on Ferry so that sounds good.

Also does anyone recall which place has the great quail?

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Ahhh.... bicycles. Definitely want secured parking. Google maps doesn't yield any results but I think there's at least one fenced in and secure parking lot on Ferry Street in that section. Iberia and Iberian Peninsula have a parking lot that is attended by their employees but I think you have to be eating ion one of those two restaurants (which are across the street from one another but have shared ownership).

As for quail I'm not sure. But if it's grilled quail that's part of a rodizio menu chances are it's only offered on Saturday's. I have the impression (just an impression) that a broader selection of meats offered in some of the Ironbound rodizio places on weekends.

• 4 weeks later...

We returned to the Iberia, 63-69 Ferry, 201-344-5611, where Phaelon, Jason and other local folks and our prior experience encouraged us to make another visit. Colette had giant gambas that were OK, not great and steamed broccoli and I had a monkfish with a spicy tomato sauce with rice that was almost a stew that was incredibly good, really good. We ended with a beautiful crème caramel. I thought the food was pretty much the same as I’d remembered it in the past and with the guarded car park and very reasonably priced vino verde, was ideal. The bill = $42.90 before tip.

Thanks much.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks for the update. I've eaten at both Iberia and Iberian Peninsula and although some claim the food is identical (they are most likely correct) I preferred the former. But the downstairs men's room at Peninsula is a howl - very manly 60's kinda thing complete with coin operated cologne dispensers - they had Brut and Old Spice. But I was really looking for Hai Karate - because you have to "be careful how you use it".