• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Idaho eating

I don't know which forum Idaho falls into, but am looking for suggestions of where to eat in Boise, Ketchum/Sun Valley, Hailey and McCall for visit in July. Does anyone have any ideas?

• 1 year later...
I don't know which forum Idaho falls into, but am looking for suggestions of where to eat in Boise, Ketchum/Sun Valley, Hailey and McCall for visit in July.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I had a very good game meal at Angell's Bar and Grill in Boise a few years ago -- elk steak, quail and rabbit sausages. I haven't been in the area recently, though.

M. Thomas

Its been too long since we've been there to give you specific info on a particular restaurant, since they change from moment to moment and visit to visit--especially in resort areas. You'll find 2 major areas--downtown Ketchum along the main drag; and then Warm Springs which is a few miles away from downtown. We've always gone in winter and I expect the Summer experience will be different. You might want to also go to the Sun Valley Lodge and experience that if not for dinner at least for Lunch.

What I tend to do in resort areas is after we get settled into the hotel, I do a walking tour during the lunch hour or late afternoon. You usually can be sure that if it is busy during lunch it might be okay for dinner. If it isn't open at lunch but only for dinner then usually the menu's near the front door--espeically when visitors are part of the customer base.

Sun Valley has a chamber of commerce site on the Web (google) and that usually can give you an indication (they have a fine dining section).

Good luck, it's beautiful country, enjoy your trip.

Ed

“Cooking should be a carefully balanced reflection of all the good things of the earth.”