• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dahi Wadas- Lentil Dumplings

In anticipation of the Indian Street food dinner eG is hosting in Washington DC, I made Dahi Wadas... here are some shots. The deep fried wadas are soaked in water and then drenched in seasoned yogurt. Tamarind chutney, crushed red pepper, and roughly pounded toasted cumin seeds top it off....

How do you make yours? What is the secret to having soft wadas? Do tell.

Inquiring minds want to know :wub:

i8274.jpg

i8275.jpg

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

The soaking water should be lukewarm is all I have to add. Monica those Dahiwadas look perfect, I do not think u could do any more. Maybe just a few more dollops of the Imli chutney.

My nani makes amazing Dahiwadas for me whenever I go to her house, my cousin and I are legendary cos on those days we drown everything in Imli chutney and eat it.

Rushina

Tell us more about the buttermilk.. please :smile:

1. make a thin masala buttermilk.

2. soak the newly fried vadas in them, and leave for a while.

3. after the vadas have soaked and become soft,

then top the whole thing up with thick masala dahi.

amma says this eliminates less oil vs the hot water method ....

milagai

HOT green chillis + mint + cilantro into a fine paste ..add to yogurt(or thick buttermilk..less sour the better)..soak *hot* vadas in it for an hour or two..:)

i have never been able to stop eating just one of these...this is pretty much the only dish i can prepare well and am proud of...

I flavor the wadas with a pinch of hing and mustard seeds and crushed green chiles. I soak the wadas in the yogurt mixture immediately after frying. The yogurt is flavored again with mustard seeds, curry leaves, and fresh cilantro.

New member to egullet here! I've been a lurker for a while..but today is my first post!

The "Dahi Vada" thread caught my eye as I think that's my favorite food in the whole world..prepared in an any number of ways. I can't get enough of them!

Savita

I flavor the wadas with a pinch of hing and mustard seeds and crushed green chiles. I soak the wadas in the yogurt mixture immediately after frying. The yogurt is flavored again with mustard seeds, curry leaves, and fresh cilantro.

New member to egullet here! I've been a lurker for a while..but today is my first post!

The "Dahi Vada" thread caught my eye as I think that's my favorite food in the whole world..prepared in an any number of ways. I can't get enough of them!

Savita

Savita - welcome to the India board. So sorry it took a while for me to welcome you, I have been out. Where are you posting from? I am glad that you found this post interesting enough to finally come out of the lurking shadows!!

Welcome - look forward to many more posts from you.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Dahi wadas were required at short notice as we had guests springing on us for lunch today.

I went through my stock of products to be yet tasted/tested and found a packet of ready made Medu wadas by MTR.

Soaked then in a salty lassi and used them as Dahi wadas, Excellent!

Now here's the best part- this packet contains 10 wadas and is priced only at Rs. 15 . The instructions call for them to be refried but I reasoned that I would have to dunk them anyway, so that's one more tedious process eliminated. So for Rs. 1.50 + cost of yogurt you get a dahi wada in about 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Mmmmust hhhhavvveeee ddddahhhiiii wwwadddass sooooonn. I haven't made them in a while now and this discussion has only served as a reminder what a stupid,stupid mistake that is. Ever since I got a mini stone - grinder from India, my urad dal fluffs up like crazy. The idlis are heavenly (even if I say so myself), now I can't wait to try wadas. I possibly won't need to add any raising agents.

BTW, do you all think of dahi-bhalle as a separate entity or as a synonym for dahi wadas? I don't know where I got this notion from, but to me dahi-bhalles are bigger, made with chilke-wali urad dal, and have a coarser grain. On the other hand, I think of dahi-wadas as being smaller, smoother and creamy-white in colour due to the use of dhuli urad dal. There was this chaatwala in Ghaziabad we used to patronise - I can still taste those delicious wadas.

There was a time in my life when I wouldn't be without dahi-wadas on the stand-by in the freezer (which leads me to the next post). Your meduwada idea sounds like the perfect shortcut, Episure.

Suman

Hi Monica!

Thanks for the nice welcome! I have been reading your threads and all your articles and love them!

I'm Savita and I live in Berkeley, CA. I love to eat and love to cook, which is especially one of the reasons I am addicted to this forum!

My mother tongue is Konkani (very similar to Marathi), but my parents are from Bangalore.

I am particularly interested in the Indian food forum because honestly my knowledge of Indian cuisine isn't nearly as vast as I would like it to be. I have been cooking since I was about 13 (I'm 26 now), but since I love food so much I have always experimented with other recipes from lots of other cultures. Now, as I grow older I really want to learn as much as I can about Indian cooking, especially South Indian cooking. I really wish I could be like my mother in the kitchen. The dahi vada recipe is actually hers.

Thanks to all who wished me such a nice welcome!

Savita

Hi Suman!

YUM...My stomach is grumbling right now! Reading the descriptions of all the typical Amchi food is bringing back lots of memories of picnics, of get-togethers etc! I don't do much Konkani cooking as much as I'd like to. I think the best way to learn would be from my mother, but since she is 500 miles away, it makes it rather difficult. I have to rely on her sketchy measurements and over the phone dictation.

It's about 4 pm here in CA and reading your descripton of home-cooked Amchi food is making me miss home and my mother's cooking immensely!

One dish, a breakfast dish, which many of my Konkani friends' mom's make (but not mine for some reason) is a dish called "Buns". It's a heavenly and probably very fattening dish that one eats with tea in the morning. Sometimes it has a banana flavor and sometimes it's just sweet. These "buns" are deep fried and hollow on the inside. They are crispy-ish on the outside and soft and steamy inside. Would you happen to know what this particular dish is called and how to go about making it?

:biggrin:

Savita

:wink:

Dahi Wadas/Dahi Bhallas/Dahi Gujiyas!!

They all come from the same place

The art lies in making the batter right. That's the secret.

Soaking in water is to remove the oil and make it absorb the beatern yoghurt.

Whatever the recipe, the batter needs to be ground on a stone grinder with almost no water. Soaked lentils have enough water in them

A good recipe of a Bhalla would have half moong dal and half urad dal.

Although a gujiya tends to be more rich, in that it is stuffed (AFAIK), it yet has the same base recipe.

Frying is important too.

The fermented batter, should be lightly beaten and seasoned with salt before frying. Some use a spoon and others are comfortable with moistened hands.

:smile:

Indiachef,

Do you ever use chilkewali urad dal? When I was younger and had a lot more time on my hands, I used to make stuffed dahi bhalle (or gujiya as you call them). My Pakistani friend also adds besan pakodis (I forget the exact term she uses for these) to her dahi wadas.

Savita,

I know the buns you're talking about. I don't make them that often myself, so I'm not sure if the recipe that I have will give perfect results. Let me know if you still need the recipe and I'll PM it to you.

Suman

Hi Suman,

Actually I would love the recipe if you could come across one. I've asked friends' moms and all their measurements aren't exact. I'd like to make them using exact measurements (at least for the first time) so that I know that I'm on the right track.

Thanks so much!

Savita

this

250 gms ripe mangoes

250gms gram flour

1/2 tsp roasted,ground cumin

1/2 tsp black pepper

30 gms ghee

2tsp sugar

500gms curd

salt to taste

remove the pulp from the mangoes and puree.add to the gram flour and mix to a thick batter with water if necessary.heat ghee and fry the badas in it.

whisk the sugar into the curd,add the fried cooled badas .chill and sprinkle over the cumin,pepper and salt before serving.