• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three Nights In Tampa

Stone

Hi Stone,

I may get flamed around here for this, but I love Bern's and go there every time I get back to Florida (I used to live there and my mom still lives south of Tampa). It's no Grand Sichuan ( :laugh: inside joke, people :smile: ) but I've never been disappointed. Lots of best-of-class food in addition to their excellent signature steaks. Of course, having a steak (is that the strip you meant?) will leave you well-armed for the New York Peter Luger Opinion Wars :rolleyes: . There's a variety of steak types that you order to your specified thickness, priced per pound.

Other personal favorites are the oyster sampler (one each of a variety of types), the carpaccio, the vanilla bean salad dressing, and perusing the legendary wine list.

I'm sure there are newer and trendier alternatives, but to me Bern's is a consistent classic.

:smile:

Jamie

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Mons Venus is - besides a description of the pelvic femal anatomy - a nude club...rough. :blink:

Bern's was/is great, but since Bern died...and even before, the experience is not as polished. GREAT wines - which make it worth the visit.

Of course, since the interior of Bern's is somewhat bordello-ish (lots of red velvet, paintings, and dark wood) you could justify a visit by saying you were killing two birds with one stone.

No puns intended. Really.

:shock::wink:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Salvador Dali museum in Tampa. Do not miss http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org/info/visit_us/index.php

The Dali Museum is actually in St Petersburg, across the bridges from Tampa.

Back in the '90s, the first really notable restaurant to breakout in Tampa, beyond Bern's and the Columbia, was Mise en Place. I haven't been there in approx 8 yrs though, so my mention should be taken with that caution.

For cuban, La Teresita in Tampa is well known.

In St Pete, I must mention O Bistro, because a friend is the chef there. I, however, haven't had the pleasure yet myself so another caution.

Another good restaurant is Pacific Wave in St. Petersburg.

I've assumed you were joking about the Mons Venus. Just in case you weren't, I'll address it. If you are in to that kind of thing, it's a must see. When they have a superbowl in Tampa, one of the first rules set down for the players is "Do not go to the Mons Venus." The club is half a mile from the stadium. A nittygritty strip club, to the point that I don't recall much stripping (the ladies more or less start naked). If you aren't weathered to that sort of thing, give it a pass. I went for the first time when I was 17. I wasn't weathered, and was mildly traumatized -- in a good way, mind you.

I've been to Bern's several times, and aside from my first visit, I've been unimpressed.

On my last visit to Bern's, the waiter began to prepare my Caesar salad tableside. In the middle of making my salad, he left to go attend to other business, leaving my salad half prepared next to the table. 15-20 minutes later, he returned to finish the salad. That type of service is unacceptable.

As for my steak, it was overcooked, and arrived about 1 minute after I finished my salad. For a restaurant that prides itself on fine food and excellent service, this is also unacceptable. At a fine restaurant, there should be at least a 5 minute pause between courses to allow the patron to refresh his palate.

Over priced experience that just doesn't deliver to its lofty reputation.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

My memories of dining in Tampa date back to the early 70's. There was some good cuban dining, I prefered Cafe Pepe on Kennedy. A storefront in Ybor city with the best cuban sandwiches in town, I want to say the Silver (something or other) (memory escapes me). The Bombay Bicycle club, i spent one Christmas eve there. And of course, Bern's for any special occasion. Oh, I almost forgot about the Mullet Inn on the causeway to Clearwater with the best smoked shrimp I have ever tasted. Maybe it is time to visit again.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

that would be the silver ring restaurant in ybor city. it was run by a bunch of guys who boxed professionally and the folks behind the counter always looked all beat to hell. best cuban sandwich around. also spanish bean soup, black bean soup, deviled crabs and cafe con leche. this place disappeared when ybor was revamped and became a mini bourbon street. there is, however, a silver ring restaurant on hiway 301 in riverview, fl (south hillsboro county) that has basically the same menu as the old one in ybor- minus the boxers and cold beers. my fave spot in ybor is naviera coffee mills on 21st street- you can smell it driving by on the crosstown expressway!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I wrote up a pretty extensive account of my five days in Tampa about a year ago. I had several great dining experiences.

The aquarium in Tampa is one of the better ones I've visited.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Foodie friends recently went to Sidebern's, and loved it. Their menu is online, I believe.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

According to MY travel/food expert, "...the MOST famous is the Columbia...the BEST MEAT is at BERNS. Columbia is in Ybor City the old Cuban cigar rolling district. Muy authentico."

I do trust this guy--we share DNA. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 7 months later...

Heading back to Tampa the weekend of February 12th. Going to meet with a large group of friends, about a dozen of us.

Any suggestions on where we can go for a fun atmosphere with great food?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Columbia Restaurant in Tampa, in Little Havana. There's actually a thread about this somewhere in here...

Columbia is the oldest restaurant in the US. The bar is great, they had live music while we were there. It was recommended to us by an egulleteer.

Columbia recently celebrated their 100th birthday which certainly qualifies it as being old, but not the oldest. If my memory serves me correct, I believe that the oldest restaurant in continuous service in the U.S. is the Union Oyster House in Boston - 1826.

I'm looking forward to responses, as well. I will probably be in Tampa in March and am interested in what is in the area of the Renaissance Hotel, International Plaza. Does anybody know how the hotel's restaurant, Pelagia Trattoria, is?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I'm looking forward to responses, as well.  I will probably be in Tampa in March and am interested in what is in the area of the Renaissance Hotel, International Plaza.  Does anybody know how the hotel's restaurant, Pelagia Trattoria, is?

Wow, that sounds like an interesting place!

Any other suggestions?