• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian markets

tryska

You're welcome. that site actually has tons of pictures of all over India. I just cut and pasted the page that was food oriented. you should definitely look at it.

It does look exotic tho doesn't it? made me wanna go visit too.

Maybe the photographer has done it for dramatic effect, but Crawford Market never seems to me as dark and dramatic looking as it does here. (New Market in Cal I remember as dark and somewhat dank). I love the place though and any publicity is good for it.

Vikram

wish i'd taken the camera on the winter trip to gariahat in calcutta, to i.n.a market and the chittaranjan park fish market in delhi and the tuesday haat in sector 25 in noida. though actually my parents tell me the chittaranjan park (the bengali dominated locality in south delhi) fish market has been completely altered. it is no longer the chaotic, informal market it used to be with makeshift counters and fish everywhere--now they have fixed stalls and pukka walls and everything. who knows, perhaps it has a new charm of some kind?