• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating while pregnant

JPW

So, here's the picture.

My wife and I are attending a condensed series of childbirth classes. The first class was Tuesday 6:30 - 9:30. The instructor brought in a few snacks consisting of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, Cool Ranch Ruffles potato chips, apple juice and cranberry juice. The last couple in the door showed up with McDonald's for their dinner and proceeded to eat a 9 piece McNugget and fries (him) and a Quarterpounder with cheese and fries (her). Since I swore off fast food almost exactly 6 months ago the smell made me absolutely nauseous. I almost had to move to the other side of the room.

As the class began, the instructor suggested that we should sign up to bring snacks for everyone for the Thusday night class and the Saturday all day class. The first couple put down "drinks" for Thursday and I put down "fruit" and passed it along, hence not knowing what others would bring.

Thursday comes along and I show up with a big ziploc of orange wedges and a fuit salad with kiwi, strawberries, granny smith apples, and seedless green grapes. I place it on the table in the front where in due time it is joined by --

a bag of Guacamole flavored Tostitos

a bag of Smartfood popcorn

a bag of store brand potato chips

a 2 liter of Pepsi

a 2 liter of caffeine free diet Pepsi

Oh yeah, the McDonald's couple showed up with a huge bag from Baja Fresh which they proceeded to devour while sitting on the floor.

I could only assume that this was typical of eating habits outside of the class.

While attempting to suppress the wrong-minded and inappropriate feelings of superiority that grew as a result of observing this spread of snacks, I began to worry about the health of the soon-to-be children, not just now but once they are born.

Granted it's a sin, but is my pride completely misplaced? Am I just being snobbish?

As the saying goes, "Discuss among yourselves".

:smile:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

First off, congratulations on the new baby!

As far as the class goes, to each their own I suppose, but yeah... blech. I'm kind of suprised that the instructor isn't encouraging her class to eat more healthfully.

Eating healthfully during a pregnancy makes it easier on mother and baby all the way around.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of women feel like pregnancy is sort of a free for all. Hey, I feel lousy, I'm going to be fat no matter what I do, why not eat what I want? That can be coupled with low energy and smell aversions which kept even me out of the kitchen for a few months. I wish labor and delivery classes would generalize to pre-natal health classes. It would be great if they did a bit on nutrition, healthy exercise habits etc... in addition to the traditional delivery room stuff.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Not that snobby. Particularly regarding the couple who shows up with fast food---sounds like they've both come directly from work, and managing to find food on the run between the two locations may be difficult. She needs food and she needs it now---if there were ever a time when a woman could indulge in the occasional Quarterpounder with cheese and fries this is it.

If you don't like other people's idea of snacks then don't eat them. They may very well eat better at home, but don't want to inflict their nuts and berries approach on an unappreciative world.

Next time bring some nuts in addition to the fruit---those women need calories.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Instead of addressing all the people in the class, why not discuss this with the instructor? Or, if you do want to bring it up to the class, is there a question/answer period where you can ask for nutrition advice? You obviously don't need the advice, but perhaps the question will educate some of the others.

I'm not sure how relevant the pregnancy issue is here. :hmmm:

It's really why I posted this.

It's more important to eat healthy when pregnant than at any other time. While the mother only needs an extra 300-500 calories per day to properly account for the energy that goes into the growing fetus, it has to contain the correct nutrients to allow for the proper development of the fetus. The issue continues during breastfeeding (for those who do it) but where 500-1000 extra calories a day are needed. For the combined 1-2 years of these two periods, the child is wholely dependant on the mother for the fuel needed to grow. The quality of that fuel is directly related to the quality of the fuel that mom consumes.

There's also the perspective that, if my assumption that these snacks are typical of what they eat at home holds true, then that's what the kid is going to start in on as soon as he/she starts eating solids. That, to me, is a recipe for disaster.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Not that snobby. Particularly regarding the couple who shows up with fast food---sounds like they've both come directly from work, and managing to find food on the run between the two locations may be difficult. She needs food and she needs it now---if there were ever a time when a woman could indulge in the occasional Quarterpounder with cheese and fries this is it.

Yeah I thought of that later. But, for argument's sake, I also question how much longer it takes to run into the grocery store and grab a few more healthy things.

If you don't like other people's idea of snacks then don't eat them. They may very well eat better at home, but don't want to inflict their nuts and berries approach on an unappreciative world.

I didn't eat them. For argument's sake, I guess that the second sentence could be a good alternative explanation. However, given the fat levels of those who brought the other snacks I saw some evidence for my assumption.

Next time bring some nuts in addition to the fruit---those women need calories.

GOod idea. I had not thought of nuts. Good protein as well.

Joe W

Instead of addressing all the people in the class, why not discuss this with the instructor? Or, if you do want to bring it up to the class, is there a question/answer period where you can ask for nutrition advice? You obviously don't need the advice, but perhaps the question will educate some of the others.

I think that discussing it with the instructor one-on-one is an excellent idea. If not for anything more than for the benefit of future classes.

Frankly, the issue of pre-natal or post-natal nutrition has not come up at all in the class. I'll have to see if I can find a way to put the issue in play without coming off as a complete horse's patootie.

(Which obviously I don't feel the need to avoid while sharing somewhat anonymously on an online forum). :biggrin:

Joe W

I'm not sure how relevant the pregnancy issue is here.  :hmmm:

It's really why I posted this.

It's more important to eat healthy when pregnant than at any other time. While the mother only needs an extra 300-500 calories per day to properly account for the energy that goes into the growing fetus, it has to contain the correct nutrients to allow for the proper development of the fetus. The issue continues during breastfeeding (for those who do it) but where 500-1000 extra calories a day are needed. For the combined 1-2 years of these two periods, the child is wholely dependant on the mother for the fuel needed to grow. The quality of that fuel is directly related to the quality of the fuel that mom consumes.

There's also the perspective that, if my assumption that these snacks are typical of what they eat at home holds true, then that's what the kid is going to start in on as soon as he/she starts eating solids. That, to me, is a recipe for disaster.

Is the father pregnant too? :rolleyes:

What I meant was: if this were a yoga class, or a drawing class, or a dance class or a whatever class, and the same scenario unfolded, wouldn't the same questions arise? There have been countless threads on eGullet bemoaning the way "middle America" eats. The basic topic here is a similar one: eating habits. I'm well aware that pregnant women have various different nutritional issues to think about. But your question wasn't "my wife is pregnant, what should she be eating/avoiding?" It was a comparison between what "you're" eating and what "they're" eating. And so, I'm not sure how relevant the pregnancy issue is here.

Best of luck to you. :smile:

Be sure to give us a follow-up after you've talked with the instructor tomorrow.

Hint: show up early so you can discuss it before class rather than afterwards. She might think to discuss it with the class during that session. If you wait to discuss it till afterwards, then no hope of progress for the snack offerings at the following Thursday session.

You are not being snobby in the least, JPW. You have admirably grasped the concept that now, if no other time, in a womans life she should be eating and drinking the most healthily and happily, they are not mutually exclusive. Ideally the mother-to-be would have been living a better-than-fine lifestyle previous to conception. Sorry to get preachy here :sad: It does not sound as if this particular class meets your needs? Fast food? Sugar sodas for the unborn? What advice could the instructor give you? Then again, the class has only just begun. Do not worry about sounding like a "horses patootie," you are a concerned husband and father-to-be who, quite frankly, could teach the ladies a thing or two about correct nutrition. Luck be with you! :smile:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Is the father pregnant too?  :rolleyes:

No, but Mrs. JPW often proclaims with exasperation that I should be the one who is going through this! :laugh:

What I meant was: if this were a yoga class, or a drawing class, or a dance class or a whatever class, and the same scenario unfolded, wouldn't the same questions arise?

To my mind, not with the same direct relavance. Part of the theme of these classes is "healthy mom/healthy baby".

Another tack for discussion that flows through my mind is the point that I'm not responsible for what others eat. However, the instructor did not exactly set a great example. As I've been in "fast-food addiction recovery", I'm trying to not become a complete health nazi. I like a chocolate chip cookie as much as the next person.

But I think that the instructor missed a chance to make a positive contribution to the health of moms, dads (or other partners), AND baby.

Best of luck to you.  :smile:

Thanks for the good wishes!

Cheers.

Joe W

Hmm, Saturday is an all-day class. Is there a lunch break? Do you all eat lunch together, bring lunch in? It would be great if you could bring something healthy in that all could share. If not, you could suggest next week be a potluck where everyone brings in something to share with the class. This could be as a follow-up to when you steer the instructor into recommending healthier food choices.

I thought you could discuss gestational diabetes or something. Like say that your doctor has advocated avoiding junk food to help your wife avoid getting it, and it would be great if everyone in the class could help her by not bringing in chips, etc. You're not really lying because you're not saying she has it, and you may be helping to educate others along the way. :wink:

Be sure to give us a follow-up after you've talked with the instructor tomorrow.

Hint: show up early so you can discuss it before class rather than afterwards. She might think to discuss it with the class during that session. If you wait to discuss it till afterwards, then no hope of progress for the snack offerings at the following Thursday session.

Unfortunately, this class is only three sessions. 3 hours Tuesday and Thursday, 6 hours on Saturday

But I will attempt to grab the instructor before class on Saturday. As well, I will follow-up in post-class evaluations/comments.

I will definitely report my results here.

Cheers.

Joe W

Saturday lunch is provided by the hospital.

I may hijack the snack sessions by bringing in a little extra something.

One couple did thank us after class on Thursday for bringing in healthful stuff.

JPW

PS- Rachel, remind me never to get on your bad side. Your mind is absolutely devious! :laugh:

Joe W

I dont' know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies, but I have no idea where's it's written that women can't enjoy some soda or Dorito's during some boring ol' pregnancy class. :cool: I wouldn't want anyone waving their finger at me and telling me what to eat, pregnant or not. You eat what you want and let them eat what they want. What do you care if their kids come out with two heads and glow in the dark? Ain't your business, sistah. :wink:

You are right to stay on my good side! :wink:

What did the grateful couple bring in?

Nothing, I believe they are signed up for Saturday. Hopefully, they'll return the favor and we'll be able to return the thanks.

Joe W

I agree that encouraging healthy eating habits is great, and that pregnancy is a great time to do it, as people are pretty motivated. But they're also often dealing with lots of other issues, many of them seen as deprivations: no smoking, no drinking, etc. There are often associated financial stresses, and mom may not necessarily feel up to starting to make her own multigrain bread around that time.

I think framing it in light of gestational diabetes, important micronutrients not necessarily available from processed food, etc. is a good approach.

But I also don't think it's appropriate to tell the other parents that they are harming their babies if they eat a Big Mac once a week. Now, twice a week...

Can you pee in the ocean?

It's only snobbish if you speak condescendingly to the other couples about their food/snack choices and try to make them feel ignorant or unenlightened re/their actions. It's much bit like anger - a normal feeling but the issue what we do with it and how we adjust our reactions. I now live in a small city and work for a firm whose employees would line right up happily for snacks of the type that you describe. When we've had gatherings or summer picnics in which various people bring food contributions, I've traditionally brought a big-ass fruit salad chock full of good stuff. People always compliment it and polish it off right along with all the junk food. Most peopel enjoy halthy food if it tastes god but don't have or don't make the time to obtain it or prepare it.

Pregnancy and the heightened awareness it brings of how the mother's food intake and the lifestyle of the household in general afects the little one is just the first of the many blessings you'll receive by becoming a parent (along with lots of hard work!).

It may seem cliched but when I see how certain people eat and how they allow their children to eat... I stop for a moment to summon up a sense of gratitude for the good eating habits I was brought up with and for the non-stop flow of great ideas and discussion that I get here on eGullet re/good eating.

Dinner last night consisted of Wheat thins with cheddar cheese and a bowl of banana pudding - it's not as though I always live right but awarenes is the first step.

a bag of Guacamole flavored Tostitos

a bag of Smartfood popcorn

a bag of store brand potato chips

a 2 liter of Pepsi

a 2 liter of caffeine free diet Pepsi

Damn.... that was my exact menu for Jazz Fest and I was going to invite you over to our patch of lawn to have a snack. Now I have to come up with some kind of healthy crap. Oh well . :laugh:

I am not of course opposed to the occasional splurge, but as in all things in life I think moderation is key.

Seeing just this one instance, I don't want to rush to judgement (for that matter I try not to judge other people) but I made the assumption that the junk food was a normal thing both out of correlary evidence (a lot of the men in the class are pretty fat or just look unhealthy) and because I thought it would make for interesting discussion.

Phaelon - I've already arranged an amnesty from my wife for the jazz fest - I generally eat pretty well there, but for the weekend I get to eat and drink what I want. It cost me but it'll be well worth it. :wink:

I'll PM so we can meet up at SPAC.

Edited by JPW (log)

Joe W

I think you're drawing wrong conclusion from the list of snacks people bring to the class. There's a big difference between stuff people eat at home and what they bring to the class. I think the "chips and soda" menu is more a result of not wanting to spend much time on making the snacks or money on buying the better stuff. It doesn't take much thought or effort to buy chips or soda.

I, for one, hate to be "asked" to bring in snacks for a meeting or an event at my son's day care. I'm sure most people feel that way too, because chips and soda are always the first choices on the sign up sheet. This doesn't mean that we don't eat healthy at home, filling up on chips and soda. In fact, we rarely have either in the house.

I could only assume that this was typical of eating habits outside of the class.

Felix Unger: Never ASSUME. For when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME. :cool: Cater the classes, then, and be done with the judgemental stuff. But be warned...no one likes a Carrot Stick Waver at a Cheeze Doodle Convention.

Edited by Pickles (log)

If you really want to have some fun, post this question on the urbanbaby.com expecting board and watch the floodgates open.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"