• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bakeries around Woodbridge

BrianYarvin

"Can anyone recommend a good bakery in Woodbridge or surrounding towns that has artisanal breads? "

Hello Everybody:

The question above got lost in the big Wegman's thread and I thought it deserved more attention.

Even though the Woodbridge area is known mostly for its' Asian stuff - especially Indian vegetarian shops and restaurants - it also has an older working class community and some really good bakeries to go with it. No, none of them make "artisanal" breads of the sort that Wegman's and LaBrea emulate, but many make classic Italian style loaves of high quality.

My own favorite? Vaccaro's on Inman Avenue in Colonia. Great doughnuts and muffins, and really good old-style bakery breads. They also sell fresh pizza dough which they tell me is often bought by Indian families.

Don't be afraid to try any of the small bakeries in the area! Every one of them is better than the supermarkets, it's just that some are more better.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Couple of good ones are D'Orsis Bakery in Port Reading almost near the Carteret border, been around for many many years and have been consistent in quality and price over the years.

The Shoprite in Woodbridge also has a very good selection of breads very similiar to Wegmans.

There is also one on route 1 south, in the area of Fords, Menlo Park, although I forgot the name of that one, they also have a very good selection as well.

Try Sipo's Hungarian bakery on Smith street in Perth Amboy . It's under new owners but the filled rolled cookies are o.k. and the rye bread is decent . It's about 1/2 mile from Convery Blvd on the south side of the street and is hard to miss . Also try Bonbonniere on rte 27 in Edison , in a small shopping center across from the Pines restaurant .

I know it's a chain...but have you tried Panera's breads? I haven't bought them except as part of their sandwiches - which seemed better than average.

The closest to Woodbridge is the one on Route 1 at Parsonage Road by the Menlo Park Mall.

And about Vaccaro's - I have found their cakes to be so bad that I can't even eat them. You only mentioned their breads, muffins and donuts - which I haven't really tried (since my experience with their cake has been so negative). Do you feel they do a better job with those items?

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi:

You're right about those cakes from Vaccaro's. I don't like them either. (several bakeries in the area do better) But the muffins, danishes and breads are quite good.

I don't find the breads at Panera to be different enough from Wegman's to warrant an extra stop.

The problem is that when it comes to bread in this area, you have two choices; the old stlye bakeries and the "artisanal" breads from the supermarket chains.

I have tasted some great breads in other parts of the Garden State, especially from Artisanal Bread and Cheese in Chester, Whole Earth Center in Princeton, and Bobolink Dairy in Vernon, but I've found nothing like those here.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

• 5 months later...

With Friday coming up the best Challah I've found in the area can be purchased (I beleive only on Friday's) at the

Buttery Bake Shop at 397 Main St in Metuchen.

I've tried Challah from nearly every bakery in the area and this shop was my favorite. If you're there after three there is a chance the Challa will be sold out.

I'll second La Bonbonniere 2062 Route 27 (Nixon Plaza) for their rye and they also make very good cakes.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to buy Challah and Bagels this Friday morning and was thinking of trying titmfatied's recommendation of the Buttery Bake Shop for the Challah. Does anyone else have suggestions for Challah in the Edison/Metuchen/Woodbridge/Colonia/Clark area?

Also, any suggestions for REALLY good bagels in the same area? Colonia Bagels closed and the bagel shop that is opening in its place isn't open yet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 1 year later...
Randi:

You're right about those cakes from Vaccaro's. I don't like them either. (several bakeries in the area do better) But the muffins, danishes and breads are quite good....

Brian, any update on what's decent at Vaccaro's? I need to stop there in the morning tomorrow and pick up something (it's the only bakery I pass on my way to work).

I need something like pastry or cookies - any suggestions?