• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things I love that other people don't get

Ooooh, thank you to whoever mentioned sauerkraut...ahhhh, how could I have forgotten? Kraut cooked with gin and caraway seeds...so tasty. It's a staple of Thanksgiving dinners in my family, and I have a great memory of going out with my father for choucroute garni in Paris and eating mountains and mountains of the stuff.

She blogs: Orangette

cilantro.

Oh yeah, me too. It doesn't taste soapy to me (or to my husband, thank God), but I have to check myself if I'm cooking Mexican or some sort of Asian dish for others. I forget that so many people hate it (or are just eating it to be trendy, you know).l

I never, ever eat anything just to be "trendy" because I approach food as a way of satisfying myself, not trying to impress others.

If I like something I will prepare it for myself whether or not other people like it or not. When I entertain I do enquire if my guests have some dietary restriction, an allergy or if they have a special food that they would like to try and have never had the opportunity.

There are some things that I do not care for but will prepare for other people, however I fix someting different for myself. My friends understand.

I love truffles but they have to be very fresh, the oil and the canned are worthless. Some people do not appreciate all the subtle flavors because not everyone has the same number of taste buds.

I also like Sap Sago cheese grated into soft butter which is then stirred into hot vegetables.

I especially like it on sautéed summer squash. Many people think it also tastes like soap, but not to me.

My housekeeper once threw out a brand new cone because she thought it had "gone bad" because it is green. When I explained that was the way it was supposed to be she just shook her head muttering that I was loco........ Maybeso, but I like it..

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

if cilantro tastes like soap wouldn't the appropriate solution be to start eating soap?

Even dyed-in-the-wool cilantro lovers don't eat it straight and unadorned, so far as I know. A more accurate approach might be to grate soap shavings into the dish, same as you would with parmesan. Especially convenient if it's a cooked dish because the soap would melt into it and blend smoothly; I don't think cilantro melts.

A nice green Irish Spring, for instance - "cilantro-y, yes, but I like it too!"

if cilantro tastes like soap wouldn't the appropriate solution be to start eating soap?

Even dyed-in-the-wool cilantro lovers don't eat it straight and unadorned, so far as I know. A more accurate approach might be to grate soap shavings into the dish, same as you would with parmesan. Especially convenient if it's a cooked dish because the soap would melt into it and blend smoothly; I don't think cilantro melts.

A nice green Irish Spring, for instance - "cilantro-y, yes, but I like it too!"

Maybe lemon-scented dish detergents could be used as salad dressings, too!

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

Kraut with gin? Never thought of that, will have to try it out today....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

kishka

sauteed chicken livers...any chicken livers

and then there is :

soy baloney on whole grain bread with fake mayo & soy cheese...generally when I want to eat junky food I eat the soy version..soy faux chicken nuggets etc..I find they accurately replicate all the fake flavors and aren't that bad for me

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Three cheers for sauerkraut!! There's an unbelievable gourmet hot dog vendor in town (hmmmm, isn't that somewhat of a foodie oxymoron?), and dear husband often asks me if I'd like a side of hot dog with my sauerkraut after I'm finished garnishing...

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Even dyed-in-the-wool cilantro lovers don't eat it straight and unadorned, so far as I know.

Tilt.

I do.

I tuck cilantro seed into any spare inch of dirt in the garden. I can never have too much.

------------------

Peanut butter and tunafish sandwiches. :smile:

A more accurate approach might be to grate soap shavings into the dish, same as you would with parmesan.

...another use for the fabulous microplane! :laugh:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Wow, some raw-cilantro devotees after all... my goodness, I sure did hit a nerve with the pro-cilantro crowd, my sincere apologies.

Well, you can have the last laugh... here's my list:

Raw onions

Anchovies

Very, very rare steaks

Lutefisk (Tried it out of politeness, found out I loved it, gooey texture and all)

Hmm, if Marcus Samuelsson can turn Swedish meatballs and beet salads into haute cuisine, and Mario Batali can bring baccala into America's living rooms, could a golden age of lutefisk be far behind? :unsure:

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Even dyed-in-the-wool cilantro lovers don't eat it straight and unadorned, so far as I know.

Tilt.

I do.

I tuck cilantro seed into any spare inch of dirt in the garden. I can never have too much.

------------------

Peanut butter and tunafish sandwiches. :smile:

ditto

the best part about dumping a ton of it on top of a lightly flavored chicken curry or dal is direct access to some crunchy cilantro by itself as well as for the aroma it imparts to the gravy.

perhaps there's some correlation between liking cilantro neat and "enjoying" "last day at marienbad"? (yes, ggmora, i have a long memory.)

Sheesh - I stand corrected... and bemused. Raw cilantro, neat - who'da thunk it? Course, as andiesenji says, palates differ in radical ways.

But nothing is so bemusing as laurenmilan's lutefisk confession. Like it? Like it? That's scary. Maybe it's the gooeyness - I've never known it to be gooey, more slimy/gelatinous. Ate it at the home of a Norwegian friend who really did love it - but then, he was Norwegian, so he didn't count. Never met anyone else who actually voluntarily consumed any more of it than was required by scrupulous courtesy. Likes Lutefisk. Wow. Now I've heard everything.

Count another cilantro fan in the ranks, raw and cooked. Maybe you just have to have grown up with it. I also love okra and eggplant and good canned tuna in oil and good anchovies and all shellfish without exception and and and...

Or wash with cilantro?

How do people know it tastes like soap, anyway?

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Or wash with cilantro?

How do people know it tastes like soap, anyway?

How do you think?

Didn't you ever swear when you were little?

Hmmmm - there was a violet candy that tasted like soap, too - different kind of soap, though.

Hmmmm - there was a violet candy that tasted like soap, too - different kind of soap, though.

pastilles. in an oval tin. i thought they tasted like sachet.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Didn't you ever swear when you were little?

Actually, I think the only bad word I knew until high school was "troublemaker". I thought it was really bad. I wasn't popular.

Hmm, things I love (that people hate):

pork feet (i like roasted best but pickled is okay)

raw cilantro (esp in a raw salsa or Vietnamese sandwich)

raw onions

sauerkraut with mustard on bockwurst

tendon (cooked well)

any kind of sweet junk food

vegetarian junk food like frozen corn dogs and veggie mcrib sandwich

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

pastilles. in an oval tin. i thought they tasted like sachet.

Yes - those aren't the ones I meant, though. I'm thinking of the ones packed together in a foil wrapper with an outer wrapper that was purple and silver. Damn, this is hard to describe, but I can see it so clearly in the old mind's eye. Guess I should look around on one of those obsolete foods sites or maybe on eBay; I'm sure it's out there somewhere. I loved them for their strange awfulness.

EDIT: obsolete my foot. A quick google on "violet candy" brought up Choward's on the first shot. Guess I'm not the only one perversely attracted to strange awfulness. Now I gotta go out and get some, see if you can go home again.

Edited by balmagowry (log)

I also love beer and chocolate chip cookies -- together.

Dude, you just solved the eternal "what to have for dinner on Friday night?" dilemma.

I love a lot of gross shit that a lot of people hate. Braunschweiger, 'kraut, Velveeta, Easy Cheese (no cracker, straight into the mouth), Magic Shell, store-bought croutons, Chicken in a Biscuit crackers (damn, I love those--my sister used to lick all the spices off them and then put the crackers back in the box when we were kids, and that did nothing to dent my love for Chicken in a Biscuit).

I love canned soups, I love Ramen (mostly by necessity). I love beets, turnips, kale, radishes, bitter greens, bad Celestial Seasonings Tea with honey in the bear-shaped squeeze bottle. I love Kraft Mac 'n Cheese.

I, like Varmint, enjoy processed foods--although the more I learn, the less I buy them. I love that Goya "Rice" dinner, and packaged red beans and rice as well.

I love bad, cheap beer. Of course, I prefer real good beer, but you know--I try not to make distinctions when I drink. I love bad, cheap whisky and bourbon--bring on the Jim Beam. Especially the new Jim Beam Black. Or Wild Turkey. Woo hoo!

I love supermarket salsa and those lime-flavored tortilla chips. Damn, those chips are good. I love cheap salt and vinegar chips, more than the nice kinds. Especially the salt and vinegar Pringles.

I also love cheap jug wine. Rossi. My roommate calls it "ghetto broth." OF COURSE I like real wine better, but hey--no distinctions. I drank Rossi the other night. Red.

I love bottled Daquiri mix, those horrendously sweet Jose Cuervo margaritas in a bucket, lemonade with no real juice in it. I love Fruitopia.

I love instant oatmeal, straight out of the pack. That's right--just the powder.

I love those bad, bad strawberry-chocolate-vanilla wafers.

I love frozen-from-concentrate orange juice. I love Archway oatmeal and molasses cookies. I love chocolate chips--not good chocolate, just Nestle, right out of the bag.

I love canned tuna, French's yellow mustard on grilled cheese, ketchup, Miracle Whip. I love celery and big fat spicy pickles . . . a girl at my school taught me to eat the big pickles with a peppermint stick stuck in them. She was right!

I am not a picky eater. My boyfriend can't stand to watch me eat raw tomatoes. He also has an issue with me eating ice cream and pop together. I have to have a pop when I have ice cream. He can't watch.

I love pork rinds and hot sauce. I wouldn't say I *love* chitlins, but I like them.

I love okra, I don't care how slimy it is, it tastes good.

I love chicken on the bone that's still a little pink.

I love livers and gizzards from KFC.

I love sardines and I love anchovies. I love frozen vegetables while they are still frozen--especially peas. God, I love frozen peas more than almost any other vegetable.

I love Gerber baby food. Especially the pears.

Sometimes, I just eat brown sugar. Straight.

I could go on.

Noise is music. All else is food.