• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things I love that other people don't get

Resurrecting this topic because I've currently got a craving for these... tiny dried anchovies.  My five-year-old son loves them too

Excellent resurrection! Not cause of the tiny dried anchovies per se (I'd be perfectly willing to try it, mind you) -- this is just a damn good topic.

I like Brussel sprouts. And Norwegian goat cheese. And anchovies (not tried any tiny dried ones though).

I'm eating those little anchovies. All because Mooshmouse said she was craving them.

Has your craving been assuaged?

Also, I like your tagline. I've been eating honey mousse or chocolate terrine for breakfast every day for a week now.

Sadly, no. I foresee inviting myself over for dinner to either my Mom's house or my Aunt's in the very near future. :rolleyes:

And you go, girl, on two counts: the dried anchovies and the breakfast choices of champions!

Husb. leaves the house to go away working for 10 days......tuyu magically jumps out of the airtight tin and into the frying pan. Need at least 8 days for the smell to vanish as he has the nose of a foxhound.

I love it! :laugh:

It's miraculous how that happens, isn't it... how those little fish just wriggle their way onto the stove, all by themselves. :wink:

I like Brussel sprouts. And Norwegian goat cheese. And anchovies (not tried any tiny dried ones though).

Okay, Grub, here's a question for you. Anchovies on pizza: yay or nay?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Okay, Grub, here's a question for you.  Anchovies on pizza:  yay or nay?

Yay! Thought I'd already answered that one; I must have been having a case of déjà freakin' vu or something, when I said it the first time. What?

eating tea leaves our of the pot? :) okay it is the first time i've heard this. have you tried Chinese tea dishes? i gave it a go a couple of times in China but i think i'd rather drink the stuff. i love drinking tea! [i'm a Marmite lass. even on crumpets, yes.]

------------

new herrings with raw onions and vodka.

suck out bone marrow.

drink Vietnamese dipping sauce when nobody's looking.

boiled pig/duck blood cubes [the kind in savoury rice porridge in S.E.Asia]

chew raw Sichuan peppercorns like peanuts.

Edited by BonVivantNL (log)

suck out bone marrow.

boiled pig/duck blood cubes [the kind in savoury rice porridge in S.E.Asia]

chew raw Sichuan peppercorns like peanuts.

Bone marrow and pig blood, I like.

Sichuan peppercorn chewing... how many can you handle? :smile:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

and my daughter and I eat the Chinese tea leaves out of the pot (when do-one's looking)...then recommend checking teeth in mirror..........

Which kind of tea leave? Green or black?

Poh Lei? Sau Mei? Ooo Long? Teet Gwan Yum? Long Jeng? (Sorry, all names are in Cantonese pronounciation)

[...] When making them at home, Filipinos either oven-crisp them or pan-crisp them.  They're usually accompanied by a dipping sauce of garlic-and-chili-infused cane vinegar and eaten with a monumental pile of rice.

Chinese like to eat these small fish too. In Taiwan in particular. They make that into dried snacks, or rehydrate them slightly and use them to stir-fry with pressed tofu. I like them. I have one pictorial recipe featuring those dried fish:

Dry Fish Stir-fried with Pressed Tofu (小魚干辣椒)

Ooop.  Forgot something.  Spam.  :blush:

Spam (or the equivalent) is something we grew up eating in Hong Kong. I don't know why there seems to be a resistance to Spam in Mainland USA. I don't like it as much now than I was younger, but I certainly don't hate it. :smile: Still have some once in a while.

Ah Leung, Cantonese not a prob. as lived in HK for 18 yrs (still commuting between there and UK) and as a consumately nosy person it drives me crazy if I can't understand what people around me are talking about I went to Cantonese classes for a year, so sek gong........ (normally HKers are talking about food, the Hang Seng or the property market :biggrin: )

My favourite 'eating' tea is sau mei....I find bo lei a tad strong and the flower based teas really do stick in the teeth :wacko:

Ah Leung, Cantonese not a prob. as lived in HK for 18 yrs (still commuting between there and UK) and as a consumately nosy person it drives me crazy if I can't understand what people around me are talking about I went to Cantonese classes for a year, so sek gong........ (normally HKers are talking about food, the Hang Seng or the property market :biggrin: )

My favourite 'eating' tea is sau mei....I find bo lei a tad strong and the flower based teas really do stick in the teeth :wacko:

Hmmm Hmmm... Sau Mei, 壽眉, green tea leaves... It is not uncommon to chew on these tea leaves. I have done so myself. :smile:

I sometimes also chew on whole coffee beans. I limit it to only 1 or 2. When I had 5 or more, I found myself eyes-wide-open at night. :blink::wacko:

And what else would HKers be talking about? :laugh: We are inert to politics. International news, a little bit. Oh... may be the hottest singer boys and girls and gossip! :laugh::laugh:

My flatmates always throw their apple cores in the bin and I know a lot of people disagree - As do I.

I love the core of apples/pears, espcially the seeds which I tell my flatmates they will love if they try them, since they taste just ike marzipan!

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar