• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ryland Inn

ahr

Two old friends who abandoned the city a number of years ago recently solicited recommendations for a blow-out 25th-anniversary dinner for just the two of them.  Their initial guidance was that it might follow a Broadway matinee, and should be fairly big-deal ("The Four Seasons?") but not formal, high-end French ("Not Lutece").

I suggested a handful of NYC places both grand and intimate, which they are considering, but they also inquired about the Ryland Inn should they decide to avoid the city.

Any observations?

Thanks in advance.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

The last dinner I had at the Ryland Inn was fabulous. If they go there they should let them know this is a special occasion. Chef Shelton has a tasting menu that they might want to inquire about. Another suggestion would be Bernards Inn as they can stay overnight.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Would you say that the food at Ryland (or Bernards) approaches the quality of, say, the Gramercy Tavern?  Would the setting and service be appropriate for a couple that inquired about the Four Seasons but were wary of Lutece?

Thanks again.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

If I had a choice between Ryland Inn and Gramercy Tavern I would go to Grammercy Tavern. I was at the Four Seasons once and was disappointed. I wasn't awed by the food and found the room to be very cold. It wasn't worth the money.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

If I had a choice between Ryland Inn and Gramercy Tavern I would go to Grammercy Tavern. I was at the Four Seasons once and was disappointed. I wasn't awed by the food and found the room to be very cold. It wasn't worth the money.

I disagree on both counts.  I believe the Rylands Inn's cuisine superior to GT (although not as consistent) and the GT dining experience is overly casual, in my opinion, for a 25th anniversary celebration.  However, the Ryland Inn service can be a bit uptight.  Accordingly, given the concern regarding Lutece TRI might not be the appropriate place.  Although I'm a fan of the Bernard's Inn it is not in the same league as the other restaurants mentioned in this thread.

In my several trips to the Four Seasons for dinner I have found the Pool Room simply enchanting at night and the food very good.  The service is very fine and polished.  Lunch in the Pool Room, on the other hand, has been disappointing as the action (and the focus of the operation) during the day occurs with the captains of industry lunching in the other dining room.  Also the room loses its wamth in the daylight.

Saturday evenings can be a bit touristy but that is likely true of most places.  Fridays are magical.

Your friends might also want to consider Daniel (but this is high end French), Caviar Russe, Picholine and March.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

We celebrated Ken's 50th birthday at The Ryland Inn several months ago.  It was the first time we had been there in several years, having been somewhat disappointed the last time we'd been there.

When I made the reservation  (about 3 weeks or so in advance), they immediately asked whether it was a special occasion, and I told them it was a "milestone birthday."   (I've never quite forgiven The Ferry House for neglecting this detail a few years back.)  A representative called me two days before the appointed date, indicating something about "a customer service program" and asking whether there was anything I'd like to request to make the dinner more special.  When I asked, "What do you have?"  she mentioned such things as champagne, flowers, tours of the gardens or the wine cellar...  When she got to "tour of the kitchen," I told her to stop right there - after all, Ken's the cook; so I knew he'd LOVE that!  :)

The meal was lovely...  (And the service, which I've heard can be overbearing, was just fine that night.)  And when the captain came over just before dessert saying, "I'm here to take you on your tour..."   Well, the reaction was priceless!  (After all, I rarely get to surprise him.)  He's still raving about it!  :)

All in all, a meal to remember...  And I was pleased to be able to recommend this place again for a special occasion.

Wow, Helena, that is a really impressive service...the "customer service" call.  It must be new, as it was not in place last autumn  at my last visit.  I think its a great service,since RI is , for most patrons, a special event place.  I had a terrible experience there with a large party two years ago, and we tried it again last Valentine's  Day and in the n..both visits were excellent...

regarding the original post, I think RI is much more special occassion than Grammercy, and even more perfect for an anniversary than any other event.