• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Milkshake Season! (merged topic)

Schielke

My memory of soda fountain milkshakes(always with malt) is that they were made with ice milk rather than ice cream. When I (rarely) have one now, I prefer hot fuddge to regular chocolate syurup. In college I went through a phase of chocolate-marshmallow shakes-those guys would really test your straw and suction!

During my formative years in New England vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup (or chocolate ice cream and vanilla syrup -- or, if you could get the guy to do it, a little bit of all four) . . .

Thanks, Sam.

The fact that you spent your formative years *in* ice cream & syrup explains a lot.

Jeez.. you leave out one comma...

On the other hand, maybe you are commenting on my good taste and deliciously cool personality? :blink:

--

So, are you going to try the "Skinny-Dipping at Dusk" recipe then?

Somehow I think I'd need something larger than a roasting pan if I were going to roll myself in it. Sounds like something to try with the girlfriend, though... :hmmm:

--

The problem with using a basic blender to make shakes is that it is too eash to over blend, too hard to control. Breaks down the thickness. I much prefer a milk shake blender which leaves the occasional lumps.

A great shake is coffee ice cream and chocolate syrup. Have never had espresso handy, but suspect that a shot of espresso would make it even better.

Any milkshake is improved by the addition of a banana.

Someone mentioned the warm weather. While I enjoy shakes in any season, I've never found a milkshake to be thirst quenching. I suspect it is the butter fat.

Cream is a wonderful idea. I shall be trying same shortly.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

So, are you going to try the "Skinny-Dipping at Dusk" recipe then?

Somehow I think I'd need something larger than a roasting pan if I were going to roll myself in it. Sounds like something to try with the girlfriend, though... :hmmm:

Depends on how you would define roasting pan.

Didn't Le Creuset base the materials of their stuff on old claw-foot tubs?

When I was in college, and didn't have a blender handy, we used to make shakes by putting ice cream and milk in a mug and then combining them and breaking up the ice cream by hand with a fork. Can't over blend that way.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Heavy cream in a milkshake is really, really wonderful.

I like to make a peanut butter milkshake; you'd think the peanut butter would break up into cold globs or pellets or something, but it actually incorporates very well and tastes wonderful with vanilla...

Of course, for those of you who are not from the region with the highest per capita ice cream consumption in America, we're talking about frappes and not milkshakes

That would be Alaska.

Of course, for those of you who are not from the region with the highest per capita ice cream consumption in America, we're talking about frappes and not milkshakes

That would be Alaska.

Everything I have ever read says that New England has the highest per capita ice cream consumption in the US.

--

Somehow I think I'd need something larger than a roasting pan if I were going to roll myself in it.  Sounds like something to try with the girlfriend, though...  :hmmm:

They make roasting pans large enough. Didn't you see "The Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover"?

That would be Alaska.

Everything I have ever read says that New England has the highest per capita ice cream consumption in the US.

I've always heard Elyse's version.

That would be Alaska.

I've always heard Elyse's version.

According to the USDA (I'm playing Mr. Fact Checker today):

Alaska consumes 16.6 lbs per capita of ice cream yearly, while New Hampshire squeaks by with 16.9 lbs. That seems close enough that different years may have different leaders. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a comprehensive summary report to easily verify total ranking..

In total consumption, California leads, followed by Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Texas.

No milkshakes. Beer.

Perhaps a beer milkshake?

I'm telling you all, John Steinbeck had the marine biologist character Doc drink one in the novel Cannery Row. He (Doc) said it wasn't too terrible, if memory serves . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Alaska eats a lot of ice cream per person but the numbers are all wacky due to the number of tourists per person that visit, eat some fudge, down some ice cream, buys a native nic-nac from China, and gets back on the cruise ship.

Some of the best milk shakes I have ever had were made with Hershey's syrup and a tiny bit of mint extract.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

My theory is that the milkshake machine adds something, though.  The best shakes i've ever had always come from places that have one of those.

My guess is the machines simply add air so they have to use less product in the shakes and thus increase their overall profits.....but that's just the cynic in me. :wink:

On the other hand, being a sporadic optimist (at least, I hope I am :biggrin: ) perhaps the machines, by adding air, do lighten the texture of the shake (whipping the cream) and change the "mouth-feel" of the shake to something you just can't get at home. Maybe that's it...instead of milk, add lightly whipped cream to the ice cream and blend that together. Hmmm...this could get decadent.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ahh yes, milkshakes! Now here's a topic I can get really excited about. I feel that milkshakes are definitely under appreciated whenever the subject of ice cream treats come up. In fact, 8 out of 10 times I will choose a milkshake over anything else when I am offered the choice.

There's something magical about the way a perfectly silky smooth milkshake coats your tongue and the inside of your mouth. Plain ice cream doesn't have that magic. A well made homemade sundae comes close, but still lacks that certain something.

Anyway, I think you get my drift; I LOVE MILKSHAKES!!!!!!!!

Here's a few tips I've discovered for making milkshakes:

- ALWAYS make sure to use fresh, cold milk.

- For thick, drinkable milkshakes, use frozen fruit, 1% milk, and a super premium ice cream.

- If you like sweet shakes, use malt powder(chocolate or vanilla), or honey for a strawberry shake. Never syrup. Syrup is an abomination.

- To get an ultra-thick, ultra-chocolatey shake, blend chocolate milk, choc. malt powder, super premium choc. IC, and chocolate wafer cookies.

I prefer my milkshakes made with the old fashioned blenders, but I've had plenty tasty shakes made with the modern type. The old fashioned blenders tend to get you a more evenly blended shake where as the new ones make a top heavy shake. But it's really the ingredients that determine whether a shake is good or not. I won't touch any shake if it isn't made exactly to my specifications.

Holly, it's been a while. Are you strung out on sugar? I got very happy when I saw your image.

There's a scene in one of the episodes of Red Dwarf in which a character orders a milkshake from a space-age vending machine. The machine asks, "what flavor?" After a pause, the character responds, "Beer." :biggrin:

There's a scene in one of the episodes of Red Dwarf in which a character orders a milkshake from a space-age vending machine. The machine asks, "what flavor?" After a pause, the character responds, "Beer."  :biggrin:

Surprised it wasn't a vindaloo!

I never thought I needed one of those milkshake makers until a friend got me one for Christmas. Somehow, my dad was always able to make a perfect milkshake in a blender without too much melting, but me. The machine (a cheap Hamilton Beach model) does the trick. I think it's more about temperature and speed than anything else. The motor is in the head, so the ice cream doesn't come in contact with heat. It also combines ingredients more quickly than a blender. I now find it indispensable.

My dad used to make grilled cheese & chocolate shakes pretty often for Sunday supper. I intend to do the same for my (future) kids!

Vanilla ice cream, Hershey's syrup, milk.

OJ & ice cream -- we always called this a "Fribble" in my house, but at Friendly's it is a generic term for milkshake. Yum.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA