• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Milkshake Season! (merged topic)

Schielke

Don't make a milkshake.  Make a malt, with a few heaping spoonfuls of Horlick's malt powder.

At the store, when I asked for a Horlick, the person behind the counter refferred me to some ill-reputed lady hanging out on the street corner.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

I'm bringing this back up since its 100 degrees out and noone posted any recipes the last time this was up... So what makes the best milkshake? Milk and icecream? Malt? No malt? whats the key?

No milkshakes. Beer.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Malt. Lots of malt. Cold cold ice cream. Real milk. YUM. Ice flakes should form.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

What makes a good shake?  I dont ever make them at home for some reason and would love to get some recipes, tips, or general practices for good milkshakes.

Lay it on me!

Thanks!

Ben

I always thought milk and ice cream, blended properly, was the answer, but being diagnosed last year with type 1 diabetes, I started using heavy cream instead of milk (no lactose carbs in cream) and WHAT a difference cream makes. I only do this with premium ice cream, and only once a month, tho my endo says I should do it once a week so I gain some weight. Right... and he's gonna buy my new wardrobe?? Plus pay for the quadruple bypass?? I think not....

In everything satiety closely follows the greatest pleasures. -- Cicero

No milkshakes. Beer.

Perhaps a beer milkshake?

Sure. No ice cream. No milk or cream. Just a sudsy head and fine lace traceries on the glass.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I ended up making a plain vanilla shake, 1/2 leftover vanilla icecream that I had made a few days ago, and 1/2 milk. No malt in the house, it's on the list for the next trip to the store.

The end result was pretty good tho it could have been thicker.

It's not rocket science:

1. Fill the blender with ice cream.

2. Fill the spaces with milk.

3. Blend

That's it. If it's too thick, add more milk. If you want it thicker, add more ice cream.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

You can make a Macdonalds "milkshake" palatable by starting with the chocolate flavour, and pour in a cup of the liquid they call black coffee. Stir well.

(If you have to be in that establishment with young relatives and their parents, for example)

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Ok so for a chocolate milkshake do you prefer making it with chocolate ice cream and milk or vanilla ice cream, milk, and chocolate syrup (or other forms of chocolate)?

During my formative years in New England vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup (or chocolate ice cream and vanilla syrup -- or, if you could get the guy to do it, a little bit of all four) was called a "black & white." A vanilla was vanilla ice cream/vanilla syrup; a chocolate was chocolate ice cream/chocolate syrup. Of course, for those of you who are not from the region with the highest per capita ice cream consumption in America, we're talking about frappes and not milkshakes. Ask for a chocolate milkshake in Boston and you get a glass of whipped chocolate milk.

--

During my formative years in New England vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup (or chocolate ice cream and vanilla syrup -- or, if you could get the guy to do it, a little bit of all four) . . .

Thanks, Sam.

The fact that you spent your formative years *in* ice cream & syrup explains a lot.

Have you seen this recipe? Might be right up your alley!

"Skinny-Dipping at Dusk"

8 c. water

25 lbs. cocoa

Store the water in a cool place, allowing it to bio-ripen for a period lasting months or even years. Meanwhile, fill your largest roasting pan with cocoa. Roll in cocoa.

Carry on.

Edit: Added emphasis for clarity

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Matthew B,

You mention rolling in cocoa more often than I mention starving children. (And I should add that my dreams are now haunted by fat, starving children.)

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Matthew B,

You mention rolling in cocoa more often than I mention starving children. (And I should add that my dreams are now haunted by fat, starving children.)

Hey, it's Friday afternoon. I'm starting to make weekend plans!

It's not rocket science:

It may not be, but I'm in the process of a Seattle chocolate milkshake overview. Places where you'd expect a great shake often have flavorless, or very lackluster, shakes. A local example for me is Husky Deli in West Seattle, a store that makes it's OWN really great ice cream, but their shakes suck. And then, sometimes you'll find a really great shake somewhere you predicted you wouldn't.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

My Father's Milkshake:

Milk

Nestle's Quik

2 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream

It's more of a Float, I suppose. There's no blender involved. But the chocolate milk forms these yummy little crusties on the Ice Cream and, when I was a kid anyway, there was nothing better.

Dad made one of these and a grilled cheese sandwich every single working day lunch until he retired, so there's a lot of nostalgia value for me in this hehe.

As an adult though.. I've never been able to get myself to purchase Nestle's Quik.

Tripe my guacamole baby.. just one more time.

My theory is that the milkshake machine adds something, though. The best shakes i've ever had always come from places that have one of those.

Steak & Shake has the best ones 'round these parts.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.