• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moderately Priced Date Ideas

jmc8y

hey gang,

do you have any food based date ideas? You know, like wine tastings in the area or other stuff like that?

Also good date restaurants, modestly to mid priced please! We work in georgetown, so something close to there would be good, but not necessary.

Speaking of Georgetown, i'm looking to take her out for drinks tomorrow after work. something casual, since we'll be in our friday office casual wear.

thanks gang, i'm pretty new to the area and this would help me out a lot. ( i don't want to let her into the fact that i'm a dumbass quite yet)

-jason

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

There are several vineyards in VA about an hour or so (depending on traffic) out I66 and off Rte 29. I always thought those were an excellent date idea.

Also, see the other threads on the many food festivals that pop-up around DC in the summer.

Not as socially confining as sitting in a restaurant for a meal in the early stages of dating.

Good luck!

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

( i don't want to let her into the fact that i'm a dumbass quite yet)

Don't worry, she will find out sooner or later, they always do.

so true, i guess i'm just delaying the inevitable.

thanks for the ideas so far guys!

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

How 'bout this: Chinatown for dinner, (hopefully inexpensive, share fried rice or a noodle dish), and then you class it up by taking her for dessert say at Zaytinya.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I'm sooooo not mainstream, but Neyla is fun! Every time I've been on a date there (all of twice), I get a little drunkie on the mojito, and then:

Batta Binga Batta Boom

"I like this guy"

No really, it's not bad, and check out the Pamela Anderson panda in front of Cafe Milano. Very sexy. :shock:

Cook for her. That's how I got my wife. Really! It's how I've managed to keep her for 12 years, too!

I thought she might be one of those mail order deals. :raz:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Ok, taking this request seriously (and in case you can't cook)--here are some of my favorite less expensive DC/VA/MD food-related dates:

1. Cleveland Park: Dinner at Indique followed by pool at Atomic Billiards (Sunday night is free for ladies)

2. Penn Quarter: Visit the funky little art galleries around 7th St and follow that up with a late afternoon visit to Jaleo for sangria and tapas.

3. Georgetown: Visit the little art galleries in Georgetown (down the hill on Wisconsin I think) or shop, and then have tea at Ching Ching Cha.

4. Clarendon: Dinner at Cafe Dalat (Vietnamese) or Mexicali Blues, followed by ice cream at Lazy Sundae and then maybe a live music show at Iota, or drinks at the funkier Galaxy Hut. Or burgers on Monday nights at Whitlows on Wilson, or on the weekends when they have live music.

5. Bethesda: Oysters at Blackie's (Blacks? Name?), then small plates at Grapeseed.

6. Dupont Circle: Happy hour at Johnny's Half Shell where the apps and 1/2 off, followed by small plates at Firefly's bar.

That should get your relationship off to a nice start!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Bistrot du Coin...Muy romantico, and if you get out of there as couple, you may have a future.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

i actually am a pretty decent cook.

has anyone ever been to circle bistro for happy hour?

I agree on the BDC thing, that's a good idea. Yeah, I did Circle Bistro for hh and do not recommend it--especially for a date, it has no atmosphere. Instead if it's nice out, try the patio at Poste.

Edited by sara (log)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 2 weeks later...

If you are ready to spend a whole weekend day together, what about a drive out to Virginia's wine country? Most places offer tastings for about $5. You could bring along a picknick or visit vineyards near Sunnyside's Burger Barn for lunch.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Try THIS for wine events in your area.

Have fun. And yeah - we always do figure it out, but sometimes its part of your goofy charm. :biggrin:

edited: My bookmark was pretty old. The format has changed and is far easier to deal with.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol