• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buddakan

jeunefilleparis

Granted, PR and hype shenanigans are expected for super-sceney places but I gotta think they're doing something right to fill a mega space like this…

Because it's new and hard to get into.

Remember NYC is a big place and the fact that any restaurant is mobbed is no indication of mind blowing food. Its the whole experience.

Same thing happened at spice market.

The simpletons flock there in the early months, things cool down eventually.

The harder you make it to get into, the more people want to come.

Also, I can tell you that a lot of the crowds in that area (the Meatpacking District - though I can't speak specifically to Buddakan, since I've not been there yet) are not Manhattanites, and many are not even New Yorkers.

Not that this makes it less of a "scene," but it makes it a very different scene from somewhere filled to the brim with natives, and one perhaps less authentically New York than what Carlo is looking for.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Anyone who's been there...how many orders of the beef filet is this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kidwei/59890222/in/set-1294667/

:)

Just an update. That pic was from Buddakan Philly, and that particular dish is not available in NYC's menu. However, he did reply and say he has tried Buddakan in NY and the filet (although only a few strips of meat rather than the platter full as in Philly) was excellent. I believe augieland has pics of the filet dish.

So is anyone planning on going? I think I'm going at the end of June with my parents, so I'd really like more pics of the apps/dim sum before I go! Along with opinions of course!

Also, anyone find it curious --- from reading accounts of Philly's Buddakan --- it seems much like a "Cheesecake Factory" portion size (I mean, look at that entree above), while in NY, it's clearly much more "upscale small bites."

Edited by magic168 (log)

Also, anyone find it curious --- from reading accounts of Philly's Buddakan --- it seems much like a "Cheesecake Factory" portion size (I mean, look at that entree above), while in NY, it's clearly much more "upscale small bites."
an 8 oz filet

Actually that plate of food is spread out visually to make it huge.

Its an 8oz filet cut into several pieces.

A huge pile of shoestring potatoes which cost like 5 cents and some spinach, it's reflective of the fact that many of the dishes at buddakan philly have useless fillers to increase portion size.

You should see the chocolate pagoda. :huh:

Moderator's note: The Buddakan NY, Is it Wortha Dinner thread was merged into this one for consistency's sake.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

an 8 oz filet

Actually that plate of food is spread out visually to make it huge.

Its an 8oz filet cut into several pieces.

A huge pile of shoestring potatoes which cost like 5 cents and some spinach, it's reflective of the fact that many of the dishes at buddakan philly have useless fillers to increase portion size.

You should see the chocolate pagoda. :huh:

Wow, is that really an 8oz fillet spread out to that huge fan? I wonder what the amount of meat is in the NY filet app...1 oz? :shock:

Well, Bruni just confirmed in today's blog that Buddakan is tomorrow's review.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

According to Eater, Buddakan will be Frank Bruni's review next Wednesday. Eater's insta-poll shows the smart money's on one star, with a chance for two. I cast my vote for two, because virtually everyone who's tried both has rated Buddakan higher than Morimoto, and Frank already one-starred Morimoto.

Two stars it is, per Frank Bruni:

IF a restaurateur is going to enter the competitive downtown arena of pseudo-Asian pleasure domes, he might as well go for broke.... That seems to be the philosophy that Stephen Starr brought to Buddakan, a restaurant as flashy as any this city has seen.

The specific cuisine in its sights is Chinese, and the real surprise is how good many of Buddakan's alternately faithful and fanciful interpretations of it are. A restaurant this sexy doesn't need to be smart.

Edited by oakapple (log)

After a long business lunch at Peter Luger's (thoroughly enjoyable), I wanted to cancel my reservations at Buddakan (had absolutely no appetite remaining); but I simply couldn't resist checking out this new spot to offer my two cents.

In short, Buddakan is a most entertaining restaurant that is loads of fun for the young fashionistas swarming the place, as well as the middle aged bores like me. The space is dark and sexy and ultra chic. The mood is a killer.

You don't have to get drunk on their cocktails (which I found to be delicious, but lacking in alcohol to have much effect) to realize that Buddakan's food is not only delicious and beautifully presented, but it's relatively cheap. I don't see how they keep prices so reasonable with such a knockout movielike setting and decor.

The Golden Library where we ate also revealed a sleeper aspect to this hyped restaurant: the service is excellent (maybe it was just our luck with the waiter whose name I believe was Kevin-who guided us through the menu according to our likes and dislikes). They certainly aim to please all the folks in the room, nerds like me included. There was no rushing at all during the meal to turn the table. I wonder how long that will keep.

Some of the highlights of the dinner included the cantonese spring rolls, lobster dumplings, chili rock shrimp, mao poe tofu, glazed alaskan black cod, and sweet and crispy jumbo shrimp. There were others, but I didn't take notes.

Here is my tip of the day: don't pass on dessert. The pastry chef is quite talented and whoever is responsible for the chocolate and spice ice cream ought to be commended. Their selection of teas was superb.

OOO, sounds good.

Can you tell me how big the portion sizes are? I'm planning a party of four, and we want to sample a lot of stuff, especially the apps and dim sum...will we be able to "split" an app (for example, the spring rolls or dumplings...were there 2 or 4 or ? )

Here is my tip of the day: don't pass on dessert. The pastry chef is quite talented and whoever is responsible for the chocolate and spice ice cream ought to be commended. Their selection of teas was superb.

Dan Skurnick. We were in the same high school class. Funny thing is we didn't keep in touch, and I had no idea he was also a pastry chef until our 10 year reunion! Glad to hear you enjoyed his stuff, and I was even happier to see Bruni refer to him by name.

• 2 weeks later...

This place sounds interesting and fun. But is it solo diner compatible? I know most places are, but part of the attraction of Buddakan seems to be the ability to try a wide variety of interesting dishes...something that is greatly curtailed when dining alone...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone been recently? I'd love to hear about your experiences, what you ate, the tab, etc. :)

[/quote

I'm going on Friday for dinner, I'll be sure to recap. Word on the street in NYC is the room is incredable and the food is great.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Anyone been recently?  I'd love to hear about your experiences, what you ate, the tab, etc.  :)

My girl went last week and she said it was the prettiest restaurant in New York.. She had a few things to eat and didnt say too much...

Edited by Daniel (log)

Haven't been yet...all of these rooms seem to morph together after awhile (Morimoto, Japonais, Buddha Bar -- which I'm stuck going to tomorrow, Buddakan, Spice Market)...but I know several people who have eaten there and their comments on the food are very mixed.

I'm not sure what your "word on the street" is....cause it's not what I hear.

I'm not sure what your "word on the street" is....cause it's not what I hear.

It comes from my coworkers that live in Manhatten and work in the wine and spirit industry. They eat out all the time and frequently attend the food and wine trade shows.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

I had dinner last night there as part of a company dinner. We had about 16 people in the long communal table on the lower level. While the space is prety amazing, by the time it was 8pm it was deafening.

Since we were a large group we had a prix fix menu which was (as well as I can remember)

Apps:

Fried rock shrimp

Lobster Dumplings

Snow pea dumpings

Fried Calamari and arugala w/ asian pear salad

Asparagus with what I think was miso sauce

Entrees:

Filet with butter sauce

Braised short ribs

Lobster Stir Fry

Sauteed Chinese brocolli

Deserts

3 or 4 different deserts, I wasn't paying attention at this point.

I really didn't get a good verbal description of the dishes as they were being set down even though they were explaining them, it was so incredibly loud even after asking them to repeat it, I couldn't hear it. We had 4 orders of each dish and I have to say I was starving at the end of the meal. It just wasn't enough food.

I am not sure if that was the fault of the admin making the reservation, or the restaurant for suggesting the number of dishes for each person. The table did partake in quite a few of the house cocktails, but I stuck with my old standby, gin gimlet, rocks. None of the house cocktails really interested me. I did taste one of their margarita type drinks they had on the menu, but it was obscenely sweet.

After subtracting the price of the booze, the check for 15 people was a little under 1400 bucks not including tip. Obscene.

The food while prepared well didn't make me at any time think "Wow, this is really good".

After dinner we headed up to the bar for a quick drink and it was a giant zoo. I have never seen so many tables of people drinking cosmopolitans before since sex and the city was on tv. It was packed. People were trying to eat food in the bar room and were constantly getting elbowed in the back by people trying to get a drink.

I can now say that I have been there, but have really no desire to go back.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I can now say that I have been there, but have really no desire to go back.

It's tough to go to a place with 16 people and get the true experience. It sound like you are not into that type of restaurant to begin with- but if you are, I would recommend going back with just a few people and ordering whatever looks good to you (rather then having food ordered for you, and paying a price that you clearly felt was too much). We sat in that same middle table on a night when the place was full and it didn't seem as loud to us. It probably was the 16 of you making the noise! :biggrin:

Edited by ZGustibus (log)

Zach

de gustibus non est disputadem

in matters of taste, there can be no dispute

Midtown Lunch Food Blog-

http://www.midtownlunch.com

or

eGustibus: A +/- look at New York Food-

http://www.egustibus.com

• 4 weeks later...

Dinner at Buddakan is surprisingly good. Service was better than expected. The tuna tartar needs salt, and the sweet and sour eggplant has too much pineapple in it. But, order everything that contains crab, and the mapo tofu is to die for,

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

• 6 months later...

I've got first-time dinner reservations for two people in the main room (the one with high ceilings, I'm guessing?) next Thursday. What's the scene and food like these days?

I've got first-time dinner reservations for two people in the main room (the one with high ceilings, I'm guessing?) next Thursday. What's the scene and food like these days?

I noticed you posted regarding reservations on Thursday for both Buddakan and Perry Street. Buddakan is more scene and Perry Street more food, although the food at Buddakan is nothing to sneeze at. Neither is anywhere close to Lincoln Center so I suppose that won't make a difference. But I'd decide sooner rather than later and cancel the other reservation. Cheers.

I don't think he's the guy who needs to be near Lincoln Center.

I agree with you that he should cancel one of those reservations soon.

I read your previous post regarding Perry Street in the Nougatine/Telepan thread and misconnected (is that a word) the two. :raz: