• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkish cookbooks

Paula, what a miracle: i left right after you posted the first time to shop for your lentil/eggplant stew and came back just in time for the fig cheese :biggrin:

Back to the store to get some milk and will report tonight on the results: have some very nice greek Kalamata dired figs.

eat the lentils tomorrow and try not to refrigerate them too long. The difference in flavor from day one to the following is huge.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

eat the lentils tomorrow and try not to refrigerate them too long. The difference in flavor from day one to the following  is huge.

so shoot me but i couldn't wait until tomorrow: the intoxicating aroma enticed me into having a bite, and then it was just impossible to stop :shock:

It was so good that i can't imagine further improvement in flavor! :wub:

Paula, that was a great article.

Just catching up on some reading tonight and saw the article, which I thought was terrific. My only question is who's the other person in the conspiracy against Paula?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for all the nice commentary on my piece on Musa. DO TRY THE LENTIL AND EGGPLANT DISH ---you won't find it in anyone's cookbook. Don't serve it the day you make it but wait a day. It is worth it. It's name is mualle meaning divine.

I finally got around to making this last night and ate it tonight. Damn that's good! Keeping it overnight is key, the degree to which the flavors mellowed and integrated was astonishing. This one will definitely enter heavy rotation on my dinner menu.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

So pleased to read your post.

For anyone reading this who no longer has access to the Chef's issue of F&W. I think the recipe is now posted on the Food & Wine site. If not, ask and I'll post it here.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Paula-

I think you can only access recipes for F&W if you have a subscribtion to the magazine now. That's how I view recipes and articles. It used to be free but not anymore.

I was reviewing this recipe in my copy yesterday after reading about it here. I hope to make it soon.

Here is a link to the recipe, try it out and see if it can be accessed:

eggplant and Lentil stew

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks, Elie. I was able to download it without a subscription so the system is still up for everyone.

Thanks, Elie. I was able to download it without a subscription so the system is still up for everyone.

I can't view F&W recipes anymore. I wrote them and told them that I can't buy a magazine here and I can't subscribe because I do not live in the US and Canada. They didn't bother to reply.