• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Hour Meals

Complete2L

One of my favorite meals is the happy hour special at World Famous in Pacific Beach. Tuesday nights, shrimp tacos (Baja style) for $1 and Wednesday nights lobster tacos (also Baja style) for $1.50. Three or four of those with a couple of Pacificos watching the surf role in (and the scantily clad women walking the boardwalk) is one of my favorite meals. During the winter you can usually walk right into the bar and get a table, but the summer brings lines. Fortunately World Famous lets you drink in line as it runs along and through the restaurant side of the establishment. (The bar specials are not available in the main restaurant though where you will pay 5 times the price for the same food.)

Living in a beach community I’ve made many a meal on happy hour specials and am always looking for new ones. What are your favorite happy hour meals? (And if anyone mentions ½ priced appetizers, please go to your nearest dive bar and self flagellate with a deep fried mozzarella stick.)

"I believe it was Socrates who said, ‘I drank what?’"

Pretty interesting discussion. When I lived in San Diego, I would frequent some of the bars (now lost to bad memory and too many drinks) in Ocean Beach, Carlsbad, and Encinitas.

In my later life, living in Redondo Beach, there were a number of bars in Hermosa and Manhattan Beaches that had *okay* happy hours, but I think I got a bit jaded in the culinary habits and found the food pretty mediocre.

I've heard good things about the Happy Hours at McCormick & Schmicks and regretted never hitting one before heading up north...