• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mangosteens

Vikram

There are loads of mangosteen available in Toronto, particularly in Chinese markets. Yum! They are legal in Canada. I first tasted mangosteen a few years back in Vietnam. I liked them so much that I wanted to bring some back for my parents to try. I carried a shopping bag full in my hand luggage. When I arrived at LAX (on my way back to Toronto) the customs officer told me that I could not bring them into the US. He was however nice enough to let me park myself in the customs area and eat the whole bag full before handing over the peels!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am intrigued by the bag of kokum I :huh: picked up from the Indian grocer: they're fun to suck on -- sour! How are these related to your beloved mangosteen? How can I use them besides plopping them in simmering dal? How do they compare with "kokum peel?"