• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yakima Eats

I'm thinking of a short road trip this weekend, and will most likely wind up in Yakima for the night on Saturday. Wanting to avoid Taco Bell, I ask: where's the good eats? I remember when I was there, years ago, I went to a fabulous Mexican place that was semi-famous (all the local hispanics ate there, it's a cafeteria place...??)...but I can't find my notes on this place. Does anyone know where this is? Or any place else that's worth a nosh in this area?

Oh, and any good breakfast places?

Thanks!

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I'm pretty sure you are talking about El Ranchito in Zillah. My family has been going there for years. I'm sad to report that when MsRamsey and I (and our husbands) were there over Memorial Day weekend, the food was not up to their usual standards. If you do go, do what we saw a group of locals do: instead of ordering the plate lunches, order meats and tortillas ala carte. That looked like the way to go.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I think that's it! Thanks, I will take your reccommendation re: plate meals to heart.

Can you tell me where in Zillah it is? I remember railroad tracks....???

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

Zillah is a few miles East of Yakima on Highway 82. El Ranchito is at 1319 1st Street in Zillah. First Street seemed to be one of the main streets in Zillah and you keep on it for a mile or two after entering town. El Ranchito is on your left.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Thank You! :biggrin:

The last time I went, I managed to score on a case of incredible Cab at Portteus (in Zillah), just before the winery became known. He had just a few cases left, not enough for a distributor to carry, so I got it at about $8/bottle. A couple of years later, it was selling for $30/bottle. I doubt I'll be able to swing that deal again! That was gooooood wine....

ah, El Ranchito.. :wub: Used to be fabulous, but last time I was there, it was less than fabulous.

Surely there are other wonderful places around Yakima. There's a strong and thriving Mexican population there. They gotta EAT!!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I'm open for any and all suggestions! Doesn't have to be mexican, just tasty food! I'll likely be having dinner, breakfast and lunch in the area, so...help?!

The last time I went, I managed to score on a case of incredible Cab at Portteus (in Zillah), just before the winery became known. He had just a few cases left, not enough for a distributor to carry, so I got it at about $8/bottle. A couple of years later, it was selling for $30/bottle. I doubt I'll be able to swing that deal again! That was gooooood wine....

Oh lordy.. that was the deal of the century, wasn't it?! What year? ..no, don't tell me, I might cry... :laugh:

Born Free, Now Expensive

Miners all the way.

???? details?

Oh lordy.. that was the deal of the century, wasn't it?! What year? ..no, don't tell me, I might cry... :laugh:

It was freakin' unbelievable. Um... that trip was in October, 1994, but I don't remember the wine vintage. It wouldn't have been too much older. I think the winery was fairly new, but was on the radar, as I had read they were producing some great reds. I was clearly interrupting the guy that day when I drove up to taste. He was really cranky as he clambered down off his tractor, but did the tasting for me. I took one taste of that wine, tried to keep my eyes from bugging out at the gorgeousness of it, and asked for a case, knowing full well that he was vastly undercharging for it.

We all live for that discovery, don't we? I remember having several dinner parties at my house that winter, to showcase that wine.

The case is long gone, but the memories remain... :biggrin:

Edited to add from the Portteus site - it would have been one of these :biggrin::biggrin: :

1989 Silver Medal - World Wine Championships

89 pts. - Wine & Spirits

1990 Silver Medal - World Wine Championships

1991 Silver Medal - World Wine Championships

90 pts. - American Wine Review

1992 Gold Medal - World Wine Championships

91 pts. - Wine Enthusiast

91+ pts. - American Wine Review

1993 Gold Medal - World Wine Championships

91 pts. - Wine Enthusiast

No wonder I can't afford their wines now...

Edited by lala (log)

Sorry, Miners is a burger joint that is virtually an institution in Yakima. The burgers are ginormous and quite good. They also make good milkshakes and fries (with awesome fry sauce). The place is almost always packed with locals, travelers, and high school sports teams.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 1 year later...
Zillah is a few miles East of Yakima on Highway 82. El Ranchito is at 1319 1st Street in Zillah. First Street seemed to be one of the main streets in Zillah and you keep on it for a mile or two after entering town. El Ranchito is on your left.

I had a chance to visit El Ranchito a couple of days ago amid a family visit to Terrace Heights and some wine tasting throughout the Yakima Valley. It's been some years since I was there. I was struck by the beauty of the landscape, the fresh fruits at the farmer's markets--at the moment nectarines and peaches, also cantaloupe. Uncharactacteristic, well actually very characteristic but not common, sweetness and development of flavor, especially in the peaches.

We tasted the products of four different wineries: Portteus, Sagelands, Piety Flats and Windy Point. Even the less original wines are pretty good. Portteus' Petit Syrah was easily the best thing we drank. I also enjoyed Piety Flats' Mercantile Red.

Perhaps El Ranchito is not so good as it was. . . still we were very pleased with what we ate:

chile colorado burrito

pork tamales

asado taquitos

menudo

Also loads of chips with delicious salsas.

All in all an excellent tour

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"