• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things People Inexplicably Love

Stone

Mass-produced mayonnaise, like Hellman's or similar. The mere thought of it makes me gag. Homemade is fine. Same with salad dressing. Ranch out of a bottle I find revolting, but I make my own creamy dressings with chevre (I have no idea if this is something you're supposed to do but I think it tastes great) or creme fraiche.

Canned tuna. Fresh tuna is one of my favorite things, but canned it just tastes and smells like cat food to me.

Pickles. I like pickled ginger, but not pickled cucumbers. Fresh ones are fab, but I hatehatehate pickles. Pickle juice on my sandwich from a too-close pickle encounter makes me somewhat unhappy, but I try to deal with it so as not to be a complete ass.

Any canned vegetable, especially peas.

Refried beans. Also, baked beans - the cloying sweetness is just revolting.

Any kind of overly sugared, cheaply made dessert. Except: cool whip and jello on occasion, and jello instant pudding when I've had dental work done.

Potato bread. ICK.

Pecan pie - what the hell is that sugar sludge? ack!

Penn Pilsner - it's the new PBR in my city, fast becoming the uber-cheap hipster beer of choice. Look, if you're going to make a shitty beer, make one that doesn't assert itself, like Pabst. PBR tastes like nothing, and for 75 cents, that's fine.

Macaroni and cheese from a box. My roommate loves it. SO WRONG.

I like most veggies, but can't get into lima beans.

Damn, I'm a picky little bitch, aren't I?

Edited by phlox (log)

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I'll jump on the popcorn bandwagon. Nothing like popcorn to stink up the joint for no good reason. Are there really people who install a home theatre, and just to add the final touch, put in a popcorn machine? Or is it that just in the hi-fi mags?

One from Hong Kong: cornstarch. Turns everything to mucus, but why is that a good thing?

Damn, I'm a picky little bitch, aren't I?

Don't worry! You're among friends... :biggrin:

BTW: I'll see your canned tuna/vegies/beans, but pickles and pecan pie rule...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Ponced around food. Do the people actually love it, or is it only chefs and restaurateurs? So, roll of shame: over-description in the menu. Plates that are wider than the diner. Food that is higher than wide. Artful dots of sauce. Chive antennas. Yum! Send these people back to cooking school.

Amen!

And what is with all this FRUIT mixed in with the meat? Grapes in chicken salad, mangoes on steaks, raspberries on pork -- I even saw an "appetizer" recipe once that called for stuffing prunes with hot dogs. What were they thinking?

Bread pudding -- just don't get it -- why eat old stale bread for $7.00 a dish?

Popcorn, especially microwave style, just turns my stomach. It's so gross to smell the artificial aroma emanating from the shared microwave just outside my office...time and time again throughout the day...

Rice pudding -- why desecrate a perfectly edible food?

Oatmeal -- yeah, so it's healthy, so what?

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

:unsure:

I hate raw apples. Like them baked, don't mind applesauce, but I *HATE* raw apples.

Diana

Huh, I LOVE raw apples. But baked, or cooked, or in pie -- BLECH! Can't stand them!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

BTW: I'll see your canned tuna/vegies/beans, but pickles and pecan pie rule...

Yeah, my girlfriend LOVES pickles, so mine usually get eaten.

I like the crust and the nut-filled, crispy, top part of pecan pie, but that glop in the middle just seems like snot to me. For this reason I make a pecan and brown sugar topping for pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. Best of both worlds.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

And what is with all this FRUIT mixed in with the meat? Grapes in chicken salad, mangoes on steaks, raspberries on pork -- I even saw an "appetizer" recipe once that called for stuffing prunes with hot dogs. What were they thinking?

They may be thinking that savory/salty flavors and sweetness marry well together. This has been done since ancient times, and if you try it, you may like it. Start off slow this Thanksgiving and make thineself a sandwich of leftover turkey, stuffing, mayo and a bit of cranberry relish. Get back to me with your results. :cool:

My most hated food in the whole world is the lowly caraway seed. Just one is enough to make me want to hurl. I can only tolerate them ground up with the flour in (seedless) rye or pumpernickel bread.

I also dislike: raisins, cotton candy, cilantro (I'm getting a little more tolerant of this but it DOES taste like Palmolive), and Ranch dressing, except on pasta salad.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

They may be thinking that savory/salty flavors and sweetness marry well together. This has been done since ancient times, and if you try it, you may like it. Start off slow this Thanksgiving and make thineself a sandwich of leftover turkey, stuffing, mayo and a bit of cranberry relish. Get back to me with your results.

I've tried it and I don't like it. Call me wierd if you must, but I have an aversion to most sweet flavors. I tolerate the sweet tooth affliction in others and will even provide them with fixes when called upon, but leave my salty/savories alone, please. :raz:

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

They may be thinking that savory/salty flavors and sweetness marry well together.  This has been done since ancient times, and if you try it, you may like it.  Start off slow this Thanksgiving and make thineself a sandwich of leftover turkey, stuffing, mayo and a bit of cranberry relish.  Get back to me with your results.

I've tried it and I don't like it. Call me wierd if you must, but I have an aversion to most sweet flavors. I tolerate the sweet tooth affliction in others and will even provide them with fixes when called upon, but leave my salty/savories alone, please. :raz:

You're not weird. You're right. They're wrong. Doesn't matter how many of them there are. They're still wrong.

I was always told that if you don't like something, keep it to yourself. Don't spoil it for someone else, let other people try it and enjoy it. "I don't get" this thread on a food site. :unsure:

OTOH, collectively you would not want to sit at my table, as I wouldn't know how or what to serve. :wink:

As far as stuff everyone else is crazy about, but I immensely dislike, there has to be Mango Friggin' Everything.Give me a break. Mangoes are good, yeah, but tone it down. Okay---and chipotles. They were not made to go in EVERYTHING, people. Okay, now I'll go back under my rock.

In an attempt to reform myself, I'm trying this out:

Seafood Salad with Cilantro Dressing

Seems like a nice, sane application of cilantro, not the "heap big piles of the stuff on top of other foods" that turned me off.

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Prime rib--boring

Perhaps you might explain as this seems quite quite mad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM