• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things People Inexplicably Love

Stone

cdh,Jun 15 2004, 05:44 AM]

Some eat them.  I prefer to view them as ammunition, and the straw as a blowgun.  Perfect for when you've got a to-go cup and are wandering the streets. It's a drink that comes with a game attached.

i do the exact same thing - i like to play drug lord and spew several at once. i no longer have company on my bubble tea outings. :hmmm:

edited to fix quotes

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

There are a couple of things that I get only when at their best: burgers (thick and juicy) would be one and bread (fluffy but crusty) the other. I probably had 3 or 4 burgers in the last 12 years.

I'm one of the very few who don't like pasta and pizza or Italian food in general. I just don't get the idea of tomato sauce smeared on dough in whatever form. I'll eat it (maybe once every 3 years I get a craving for pizza), but never really enjoy it.

I don't get ketchup either. I have to say I love tomatoes, it's nothing against them.

Oysters I loved only in New Orleans (acme, yeaahhh!). Any attempt before and after was disappointing.

Doughnuts - only the oily smell of them makes me gag.

Mayo with sandwiches. Why, oh, why?

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I can't stand a few things already listed such as canned tuna, mayo on a sandwich, especially a hot sandwich or a burger, olives/tapenade.

But there is one glaring omission from all of your lists. It is farm raised salmon. Blech! No redeeming grace from this garbage fish. Something fishy (pun intended) about a fish that the producers can buy colored food to achieve a certain hue to the flesh.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

All desserts. Ice cream. Soda pop. Chocolate.

If you want something sweet, have an 18 year old single malt Scotch. Something with depth and resonance instead of something that just flattens your palate.

Desserts "close a meal" by closing off your ability to taste.

While a cheese course delightfully comments on the flavours that came before.

Desserts are the Devil's belly button lint.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

MMMMM, lint. Sweet lint.

I'll have mine with warm chocolate and pecans, please. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

MMMMM, lint. Sweet lint.

Brooks, you are a bad bad man.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Desserts "close a meal" by closing off your ability to taste.

As always, an interesting perspective.

When it's time for the dessert, I often feel that, if I'm still hungry, I'd rather have another portion of the main course.

Not that it stops me from ordering dessert. But I tend to avoid real heavy, rich sweet stuff. No warm, melted chocolate cakes for me

MMMMM, lint. Sweet lint.

Brooks, you are a bad bad man.

Actually, I am picturing a "cone of lint" (ala T. Keller) with a series of changing flavors of lint as you get closer to the center. The Everlasting Gobstopper of Lint.

You could use it for a sweet course towards the end of the meal. Before the cheese, of course. :raz:

:shock: I thought that we had settled this and were going to bury this obvious fault of yours under the rug and never talk about it again. I am extremely dissappointed in you. :raz::laugh:

What Brooks said. Archie, remember: cornichons!

I will never get to eat enough caviar or raw oysters, and it makes me sad, like knowing that I'll never be a professional merengue insturctor. That said:

Sashimi. Sushi. Cook fish, dammit.

Peanut butter.

Hot dogs.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hot dogs.

You don't like hot dogs? What's not to like?

Well, taste and texture, for two! Oh, and aroma for three. The smell of cooking weiners makes me gag.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I will never get to eat enough caviar or raw oysters, and it makes me sad, like knowing that I'll never be a professional merengue insturctor.

Sure. But who cares? You could be a professional meringue instructor. Whipping up whites for the world to see. :wink::laugh:

Fortunately I have a stomach of iron, I can eat anything once.

Not too much I don't like, only ones I can think of that other people like generally are lemons (no lemonade or lemon in my tea, thank you...cooked lemons on a meal like fish or chicken, o.k.)

down here in the deep South a lot of folks eat chitlins and hog jawls and such, and collard and turnip and mustard greens.. don't care for those but like just about everything else

I have been to a few other countries things that were popular there I did not like was kimchi in Korea, and there was a food called balut in the Philippines that I would not eat (half hatched fermented chicken egg) that a lot of people ate as a snack..

loved sushi that I got in Japan but didn't like the seaweed snacks that are abundant there in many forms..

have ate some other "unordinary" things in other countries but not the thread for that...

Now that I think about it, I don't like dessert at all.

Although I would always prefer cheese - and MAYBE some fruit, depending on the cheese - to some gloppy itchy-sweet thing, I am sort of a cretin at heart - I think I have always kind of thought that if I'm still hungry after finishing dinner, I'll just have another steak, damnit.

I think I have always kind of thought that if I'm still hungry after finishing dinner, I'll just have another steak, damnit.

Someone after my heart. :smile:

I like deserts but MOST of the time I'd rather have more dinner.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

For me its parsnips. Where and why someone dug those babies up is beyond me and then proceed to eat them. They should of just left those babies in the ground and let people believe they were poisonous, unfit for human consumption.

• 1 month later...

Have we had balsamic vinegar yet? I mean, it's pretty good on a spoon straight out the bottle, but I don't really know what to actually do with the stuff. It seems to overpower rather than complement, and discolours a lot of ingredients, where another vinegar will do just fine.

Uni is taking a kicking here, but while it can be something of an acquired taste, some of the descriptions given suggest people are not getting it fresh enough. If it's not absolutely fresh, it will taste like hell.

Lily bulbs.

Shark's fin. What's the point?

Bagels.

Martini. Nice glass, crap cocktail.

Brown rice. Eschewed in India (pop. 1 billion), China (pop. 1.3 billion) Indonesia (pop. 200 million), Japan (pop. 125 million) etc. Could they be on to something? Nothing wrong with the refined white product, despite the sneers of new-fangled vegetarians.

Ponced around food. Do the people actually love it, or is it only chefs and restaurateurs?

So, roll of shame: over-description in the menu. Plates that are wider than the diner. Food that is higher than wide. Artful dots of sauce. Chive antennas. Yum!

Send these people back to cooking school.

Here's my uni story:

My daughter graduated from college this spring, and the uni incident happened before she entered high school, so I'm thinking it was probably ten years ago.

I had introduced her to sushi as a wee tad, and the Koreans at the first Japanese restaurant in the area were amazed that she ate sushi at the age of three. I guess they had never before seen such a kewpie-chan eat sushi like an adult.

At the time of the incident, we were into speedskating, so we were eating a fair number of calories. Sushi was one of our favorite foods, and we had sampled everything available locally.

It was at the Cambodian sushi bar that the incident occurred. I recall that they were having an all-you-can-eat one night a week. Basically, you ordered what you wanted, you ate it, and you were allowed to order more, as many times as you were still hungry.

The last plate had the uni nigiri-zushi on it. I recall that the color was a little intense. I was in fact not very hungry at this point, and neither was my daughter, as we had both had a fair amount to eat. But there was the uni.

I took a bite of the piece.

Imagine, if you will, what a lobster would taste like if it had sat, dead, in the blazing sun on a wharf in August, for at least 24 hours. You got it.

I flew to the restroom. My daughter, unaware of the reason for my rapid departure, also took a bite of the uni.

I haven't eaten uni since.

I also know that there is no relationship between spoilage bacteria and pathogenic bacteria, otherwise, we'd both be dead now.

Popcorn!

Ate too much as a kid once ("All You Can Eat" anyone?!!)

Farenheit 9/11 was my first trip to the movies in about fifteen years. If I walk into a place thats making popcorn, theatre or bar, I have to leave.

I did like a bowl once that was served with grated cheese, melted butter, paprika and herbs... that was okay... :hmmm:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Pineapple on pizza!! :angry:

Krispy Kremes---why do they bother with the flour??-just spoon down the sugar!

Cola--pepsie,coke,any cola---bleech! only drink worrse is the diet versions!!!!

Edited by tiki (log)

Cherry flavoured anything. BLECH! Tastes luck the worst fu*&ing cough syrup I've ever had. If it's not a fresh cherry, don't come anywhere near me!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Popcorn!

Ate too much as a kid once ("All You Can Eat" anyone?!!)

Farenheit 9/11 was my first trip to the movies in about fifteen years. If I walk into a place thats making popcorn, theatre or bar, I have to leave.

I did like a bowl once that was served with grated cheese, melted butter, paprika and herbs... that was okay... :hmmm:

I'm on that anti-popcorn train too... I double-dog-dare anyone to eat popcorn during "Supersize Me". A loooootta discarded, semi-eaten tubs after that movie let out. :laugh:

I still think of dinner as a promissory note for dessert.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Snow cones! Every time we go to the beach, fair, boardwalk, whatever, someone always wants to get snow cones. They are VILE!!!!! I also hate those slushies or slurpies or "italian ice" crap that they serve at 711 and Skateland (or did serve, when I was a kid). Ughh . . shudder. . . someone hold me, I'm scared!

Also, Skittles. Really, any artificial fruit flavored anything. Especially lime. I love limes, but not fake lime flavor. Fake lime flavor is evil.

My dad always wants me to make him a raisin pie. WHY oh WHY was such a thing ever invented?!

Tapioca. In any form. PLEASE do not put it in pie filling! WHY would you ruin good fruit with that nastiness?

Nachos. They way everyone always wants to order them as an appetizer in restaurants (crappy restaurants, and they are drunk). I like chips, I like salsa, I like cheese, I like ground beef . . .etc. Just don't make a big pile of it and get my chips all soggy and nasty. Blech!

Whew! That said, I do like gin, but I can't stand tequila. People keep trying to make me drink it. And I say, "if you enjoy vomit on your shoes, I will drink it"

I love Dr. Pepper and root beer, though. And I am a woman. So does that make me weird? I actually have a whole set of root beer float glasses. And I always keep beer mugs in the freezer, so they are nice and frosty.

Black raspberries. My family always gets excited when they are ripe. They are hard seedy, crappy imitations of raspberries. Sick. And they don't even have a good flavor to make up for it.

Cilantro is fine, but it tastes sour to me, like a very sharp lemon edge. Are my tastebuds whack? Is it supposed to taste like soap?

Ok, I'll stop now.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall