• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things People Inexplicably Love

Stone

I hate quinoa.  It looks like boogers.

Ewww! Now I'll always think that if I ever make it again and it's so good for you too!

For all we know, boogers might be good for us, too. But I don't eat them.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I hate quinoa.  It looks like boogers.

Ewww! Now I'll always think that if I ever make it again and it's so good for you too!

For all we know, boogers might be good for us, too. But I don't eat them.

Well they'd be protein, wouldn't they? High in sodium though. :laugh: Someone had a thread up a while back on this topic, and the powers that be removed it. Which I found disappointing. It's only another form of Pica, and we had discussions on that. ::: shrug :::

OK. I think orange juice sucks... mostly.

Judging by shelf space in the refrigerated section of all the supermarkets, it looks to me like people just love orange juice. Mostly the horrible crappy industrial OJ that fills the entirety of those refrigerators.

Now I'll not go so far as to say I hate all OJ... fresh squeezed, and I mean the really fresh squeezed stuff, not the pasturized industrial stuff that never got concentrated and rehydrated, is good. Tropicana, Minute Maid, Florida's Natural, all the big branded crap on the shelves is just no good. It is all too sweet and not tangy enough. Probably has something to do with the blend of varietals of oranges they use...

Interesting. For me orange juice falls into that strange category of "foods I just don't care about." There's stuff I love and stuff I hate. Orange juice is neither. I never order it if I go out for breakfast. If it's there in front of me maybe I'll drink it. But I rarely buy a container. I don't dislike it, I don't especially like it, it's just sort of there. I bought some a few weeks ago for I forget what reason, and now a 3/4 full container is going to sit in my fridge until it gets bad. A new topic on "foods that simply do nothing for you"? :wacko:

Very happy to see this thread. I just love talking about popular things that I hate.

I don't understand the fascination with bubble tea. I hate bubble tea. Why everyone gets off on chewing their tea is beyond me. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I also hate raisins. God, I hate them. I don't even like to reach into the box.

Especially when they have been sitting in a hot car all day. Eeewwwwww

Ah, but BooBerry, now...where are the blue foods of yesteryear?

They are in applesauce, fruit roll-ups, juice boxes/puches and icing. The applesauce is just disturbing.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

OK.  I think orange juice sucks... mostly.

Judging by shelf space in the refrigerated section of all the supermarkets, it looks to me like people just love orange juice.  Mostly the horrible crappy industrial OJ that fills the entirety of those refrigerators.

Now I'll not go so far as to say I hate all OJ... fresh squeezed, and I mean the really fresh squeezed stuff, not the pasturized industrial stuff that never got concentrated and rehydrated, is good.  Tropicana, Minute Maid, Florida's Natural, all the big branded crap on the shelves is just no good.  It is all too sweet and not tangy enough.  Probably has something to do with the blend of varietals of oranges they use...

Interesting. For me orange juice falls into that strange category of "foods I just don't care about." There's stuff I love and stuff I hate. Orange juice is neither. I never order it if I go out for breakfast. If it's there in front of me maybe I'll drink it. But I rarely buy a container. I don't dislike it, I don't especially like it, it's just sort of there. I bought some a few weeks ago for I forget what reason, and now a 3/4 full container is going to sit in my fridge until it gets bad. A new topic on "foods that simply do nothing for you"? :wacko:

I was just talking yesterday about how I don't like fresh-squeezed oj. It's usually weak, overy acidic and lacking in any sweetness. Give me Tropicana anyday.

I was just talking yesterday about how I don't like fresh-squeezed oj. It's usually weak, overy acidic and lacking in any sweetness. Give me Tropicana anyday.

Dude, you lived in SF and didn't get great OJ? Personally, I have had some unbelievably sweet, rich, lovely OJ, but of course, it changes from season to season, batch to batch.

Naked Juice or Odwalla (I forget which) used to bottle a really good tangerine juice, but it's gotten "weak, acidic and lacking in any sweetness". But I remember the good old times.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Highly sweet and rich is not what I want in my OJ! eeeurgh. I want it to taste like a fresh orange of the not-too-sweet variety, and be relatively well strained of pulp. That to me does not add up to sweet and rich. Otherwise, I'll just thin it with vodka, thanks.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I was just talking yesterday about how I don't like fresh-squeezed oj.  It's usually weak, overy acidic and lacking in any sweetness.  Give me Tropicana anyday.

Dude, you lived in SF and didn't get great OJ? Personally, I have had some unbelievably sweet, rich, lovely OJ, but of course, it changes from season to season, batch to batch.

Naked Juice or Odwalla (I forget which) used to bottle a really good tangerine juice, but it's gotten "weak, acidic and lacking in any sweetness". But I remember the good old times.

I see it like the choice of canned v. fresh tomatoes for sauce. Unless you got great tomatoes go for the can instead.

Highly sweet and rich is not what I want in my OJ! eeeurgh. I want it to taste like a fresh orange of the not-too-sweet variety, and be relatively well strained of pulp. That to me does not add up to sweet and rich. Otherwise, I'll just thin it with vodka, thanks.

If I had my druthers I'd start each day with a glass of Bombay Sapphire slightly thinned with OJ.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

jschyun, Odwalla made an awesome tangerine juice- I haven't looked for it in a few years.

We have an orange tree in the backyard and it makes awesome OJ. I cannot drink the stuff from concentrate anymore (never really cared for it until the fresh squeezed came into my life).

What the hell is bubble tea?  :blink:

Tea served with a bunch of 1cm diameter tapioca balls in the bottom of the cup. Sipped through a straw big enough for the balls to get sucked up along with the tea. Some eat them. I prefer to view them as ammunition, and the straw as a blowgun. Perfect for when you've got a to-go cup and are wandering the streets. It's a drink that comes with a game attached. :raz: I don't see the appeal of the stuff in a cafe setting. Though shops that do bubble tea often do drinks with chunks of immature coconut jelly in them too, and that is good eating in a fruity tea context.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Is that Teaberry gum?  Man, what happened to that stuff?  I loved that stuff!

You can find it ocassionally at different stores. I've seen it next to Blackjack (licorice) gum, usually at the checkout stand. I think it may have even been at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond store.

You can order it online, too. This (click) is but one place I found selling the gum after doing a Google search for "teaberry gum".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Lemons on just about everything.

It's too easy. Lemon always smells good. If you're cooking for friends and you want them to go "ooh", just spritz some lemon on it. (Or add a drop or two of sesame oil.)

I hate when the waiter puts down a all-too-hard-to-find plate of really good fried calimari and someone WITHOUT ASKING douses the whole thing with lemon. And your food tastes like it was sprayed with lemon pledge.

Krispy Kreme, ketchup on french fries (or on anything other than a cheeseburger), tagines or any other stew involving a protein item and vast quantities of sticky dried fruit, licorice of any sort -- a category that includes anise, fennel, and most particularly both cooked and raw celery -- black coffee, imitation-fruit-flavored anything, all sugared breakfast cereal, and those gigantic B-complex vitamins that stick in your throat and lodge there all day.

Wait, I guess not many people like those. But then again, I love cilantro in LARGE COPIOUS RAW HANDFULS. And I've also had some tasty turkey burgers.

Trail mix.

Honey. The smell makes me gag. Chestnut honey is great in baking but smells the worst. I could chug maple syrup by the gallon, though.

Cookie dough.

Fruity salad dressings, like raspberry vinaigrette.

Cream pies.

Meringue pies.

Cake frosting.

Oreos.

Hot chile jams and preserves.

Crunchy peanut butter.

Altoids.

Kahlua.

Clif Bars.

Overripe bananas.

The combination of fruit and chocolate.

Chex mix.

Peanut m&ms. Taste like paint thinner to me.

Vegan desserts.

Citrus zest in anything except citrus desserts.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

(I'm not saying this in response to any particular post, but I didn't intend for this thread to be simply a list of stuff that people don't like. It's for stuff that most people really really rave about that you think really really sucks.

continue.)

Pizza. I saw one other post on this thread from someone who doesn't like it, but most everyone looks at me like I have at least seventeen heads when I say I don't. I really can't even choke it down (which I tried to do when we had lunch meetings, "food provided" and it turned out to be pizza). Smells like vomit to me.

I think it's because I don't like oregano, generally, although I will tolerate it in some places. But oregano plus tomato = puke puke puke. (Mexican oregano is put-up-withable.)

I also dislike the chocolate-orange flavor combination. It sends weird shooting pain waves through my jaw, so it's physically unenjoyable.

Ice cream. I'll eat it, but I don't really get the craving for it, ever. I'd usually rather just have a custard instead. The only place I think it's called for is on warm desserts, where I let it melt, and there I could just as easily dump heavy cream on the dessert and call it a day.

Jennie

Stone,

I think my previous post about whole wheat fits with what you are after. I want to add wild rice that is prompted by another topic on this forum. My wife has relatives that live in northern Wisconsin so I have been treated to wild rice numerous times.

I don't like it. Please don't waste it on me.

Cakes